Home U.S. Coin Forum

1928 Peace dollar (Arrived results)

I just bought this junk drawer find from the UK on Ebay mainly for the darkside coins and just noticed the possible 1928 Peace dollar

I don't have it in hand yet to take more pictures

Is it something worth sending in to PCGS if its not damaged or cleaned

Either way the silver value will pay what I got for the lot

thanks

chris

[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/1928.jpg.html]image[/URL]

EDIT: was able to zoom in at photo on TV

[URL=http://s366.photobucket.com/user/coffeyce/media/1928-.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    betcha anything its a '23

www.brunkauctions.com

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be a 1928-S
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    ok, new photo shows a '28.....good luck! Hope its a philly for ya!

www.brunkauctions.com

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Ill be honest im not a peace dollar fan in the least but just happen to check the date to see in PCGS. didn't realize peace dollars has a valuable one.

Either way I didn't lose any money in the gamble
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an 8. That would be a great score.
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I see a 1923
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My eyes are seeing '23
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be a 28 or 28-s..
    Might just be. 23...
    In any case, gotta LOVE the treasure hunt!!!
    Might even be some other little treasure in that mix.
    Keep us posted amd good luckimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My eyes are seeing '23 >>

Mine, too.

But still looks like a cool lot. I see a low grade 1797 Cartwheel 2d in there, and a pre-1937 farthing that looks RB UNC.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    No hurt feelings either way but will be real excited if 28. will get to send another PCGS shipment in..

thanks for the input guys/gals I really know nothing about peace $$
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clearly see a 28...... let us know when you get it in hand....Cheers, RickO
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seeing it as a 28. Odds are about 5 to 1 that it is an S mint, but since this is from England I would have high hopes on it being a Philly.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks like a large S to me. ill go (reluctantly) with a 28
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that's an 8, but I also don't see the lines in the rays to make it a P.....most likely a 1928-S.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    What happened to the upright in the R in Liberty? 8 doesn't look closed, either, looks like a capital S was substituted. Uppermost locket of hair off the back of the neck is missing detail, all it is, is a dot. Why does it say "China Travel" in the upper right hand corner of the pic? Not a good sign. LOL

• bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    China travel, I think that just means the coins traveled from Alibaba.. best of luck, you will need it.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>China travel, I think that just means the coins traveled from Alibaba.. best of luck, you will need it. >>

No kidding? Surely, you are pulling my lariat.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Why does it say "China Travel" in the upper right hand corner of the pic? >>

CTRIP is China's largest travel agency. I've owned the stock since day one.

CTRIP has zero to do with Alibaba------ inferences aside in this thread

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    For those who think it's an "8", take a good look at an actual 1928 Peace dollar, and you'll see the difference.
    Depending on the lighting, the end points on a 1923 almost appear to connect to the right side to form an 8 shape. A 1928 Peace dollar has two stacked, circular loops, indicative of the numeral 8.

The photo isn't very clear, so it's understandable how one could see 1928.
    I believe the OP is posting from Hong Kong, which may explain a piece of paper referencing China, if that' s his picture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<< looks like a 1923 crowd too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

MJ and LM are as usual correct. its a favorite on my internet site as I live in HK and work in china. when I travel I use Ctrip. I don't have the coin in hand so had to magnify the coin picture from ebay on my TV screen and take a photo with my phone for you to see the second picture.

As soon as the coin arrives ill take some more photos for everyone. it was shipped today shouldn't take too long from UK to HK.

thanks for all the input

chris
    Well got the coin yesterday and it was in fact a 1923 Even in hand still looked like 1928 with the way the ends of the 3 curve up. nice piece so I cant complain and I got some nice other silver world coins and others with it. well worth what I paid.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I don't know foreign coins like I should, but the Bolivian coin and possibly the Chinese coin look counterfeit.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know foreign coins like I should, but the Bolivian coin and possibly the Chinese coin look counterfeit.

-Paul >>

• claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    The rims do not look right for a 28-P as well.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

<< <i>Even in hand still looked like 1928 with the way the ends of the 3 curve up. >>

Yeah, they're funny that way.

<< <i>I don't know foreign coins like I should, but the Bolivian coin and possibly the Chinese coin look counterfeit. >>

Both of those often come quite crudely struck, so that's not necessarily the case.

I think you got some nice stuff. That's way beyond the quality of the typical world coin bulk lot. That Belgian coin and those little Vickie farthings are sharp.

yes the south American coins ive had experience with are crudely struck usually over dates and Double struck which adds to the appearance. this one specifically looks Double struck not greatest condition but its silver so I don't complain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file