Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you buy a PCGS coin that when verified, "not available for display"?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every once in awhile I see a coin at auction I am interested in but when checking cert number get ->That Cert is not available for display.

I realize there could be many reasons for this, but is it an automatic pass? or how deep a discount would you bid?

The reasons I have heard include - counterfeit copies reported, reported stolen, error in PCGS entry, mechanical error, ....?

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which generation of holder are you seeing most of these errors showing up with?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pass but let the lister know why I passed so they could possibly fix.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be extremely cautious and most likely pass.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I would pass it to save future trouble. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I wanted the coin I would call PCGS and have them double check the cert.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be intrigued to want to obtain more info.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree...pursue with PCGS and then discuss with selling authority.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the coins in question were in a lot of 7 'widgets' with 4 of them in 3rd grade slabs
    I bid as much as I felt like 'eating' if the lot turned out to be 'stolen' or something ($50)

I won the lot on the Saturday internet auction
    and emailed info@pcgs.com on Monday asking about the certs and attached pics showing slabs (from auction)
    I got no reply and repeated the email on Thursday
    The coin auction purchases arrived and I looked closely at the slabs - they looked fine and closely graded - slabs all scuffed up and dirty like they had been around
    included was a Omaha Bank Hoard dime and a lower graded SMS CAM

The following Tuesday I called customer servvice and after about 10 minutes on hold, when I was just about ready to hang-up, I got a customer service rep

I explained the situation and gave the cert numbers - and they knew what was on the slab, even though the 'cert not available for display'
    they asked if I could email pics and I said I already did twice last week and asked whats up with their email info address - they said they have been busy
    after finding the email they said they would needed to check some things out and get back to me in next couple days

I received an email the next day, explaining a grader needed to see them and outlined procedures to submit as a 'mechanical error'
    Basically no cost to me and refund on my postage even
    off they went - I told them not to worry about the postage refund, as I valued them at $100 and sent first class for a couple bucks.

A week later they showed up as graded and yesterday back into my hands
    The grades were the same and in new slabs

I still do not know what the circumstances for the 'mechanical error' are - the coins around the cert number (from same submission) were all good
    and now I see the dime had sold on Heritage about 8 years ago for $12 (including buyers premium)

so less than a month and got cert numbers fixed and new slabs
    I would have never risked this on high valued coins and calling customer service before auction on a weekend does not seem feasible

Well done PCGS for fixing the cert ?mechanical error? on those 2 coins.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I emailed info@pcgs yesterday for the same issue. Sent in a Merc for Restoration and TrueView, it was deemed non restorable and sent back, billing me $74 (I can't figure out that breakdown). Anyway, I type in the cert number today to see if I got a TrueView and no data shows up.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't bother me in the least, and I have never checked the cert number before buying a coin except searching the auction archives for the same coin.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is also the message you get on a new submission before it is put on the database.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file