Home U.S. Coin Forum

The elderly couple with two large cardboard boxes full of modern US Mint products just walked throug

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
... and they want to know how much you would pay.

How would you handle this type of situation?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with fairness and honesty.

Hopefully they were mint gold buyers in 2008.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Honest price.

Probably not going to be happy depending on what they have but can't go wrong with honesty.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would it matter how old the people are, or what they have to sell?

market value is market value. Inventory the material and make an offer.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hide and hope they go away and take their modern junk with them.image
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tell them that their material has value, but very limited as such, because for decades the Mint over produced most modern years of Proof sets, Mint sets and commemoratives with very few exceptions, and the over saturation of the market for this material has literally driven supply versus demand to price levels that in many cases are less than issue price. A very common mis-perception among subscribers of modern Mint products, is that age adds value regardless of any other consideration.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look though the items then give the blunt honest price you'd pay for the stuff
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    explain to them that rather than spending all the money they did on that junk, they should have raked that money into a pile and burned it
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give an honest evaluation, suggest other dealers if they would like to shop around.....that way, at least they will respect your opinion and, if they do pursue other bids, will know you gave them a fair bid. Cheers, RickO
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patiently explain to them that the market for that material is very soft. Choose a few samples from their material, and show them what they are currently selling for (actual eBay sales, Grey Sheet, etc.); offer them a percentage of those figures - low enough that you can blow them out quickly at a small profit. They'll probably be disillusioned, but you can encourage them to take the coins elsewhere for bids. It's possible that they'll have some better material, such as 2012 silver proof sets. Just make a fair offer, regardless of what they have, or let them know you already have an adequate stock.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hide and hope they go away and take their modern junk with them.image >>

Nice...that was initial thought. :{ )
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file