Home Metal Detecting

1705 Half Reale from the beach this weekend

Haven't posted in a long time, see if I remember how.
Went detecting on the beaches along the NH coast over the weekend because of the minus tides. Hit a 12-48 signal on my CTX 3030, thought I found a silver coin but pulled out what looked like a broken half of a crusty zinc cent. I threw it in my bag and didn't look at it until last night. Noticed a sliver of metal sticking out of the broken section and pulled out a very beat and thin half reale, date looks like 1705. Cleaning out my bag, found another piece in the sand at bottom. It's my oldest coin and my first reale. I know nothing about these coins, need to post in the world coin section to get more info.

Rest of the stuff... couple silver rings and pendants, some junk jewelry, sinkers and clad, buffalo nickel, mercury dime, four wheat cents.

bob
Bob

Comments

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating find in any condition.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much chance of finding that stuff here in the desert! Cool for sure....probably normal for you (except
    the reale)...

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the old silver! for the size, I don't believe a half real should have rung up so high on the CTX. That's pretty much a quarter+ signal. What is the size of your coin? Possible 2 Real you got there!
    Maybe try looking up 1725 as a possible date too. I'm not too familiar with them, but that date range rings a bell.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive, even if it's rough. Looks like 1705 to me.

I see you also found the space shuttle Challenger.

I have never found anything old when beach hunting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... quite a haul.... and amazing reale.. what date was the Merc?? Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its amazing you found all that. congrats.
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice find.
    The glasses look cool.
  • I think you might be right about the 1725 pcgs69. I looked at some images of nicer coins, and that is one big curly 2. And I can convince myself I see the base of the 2 on my coin.
    As for the size, it's a little larger than the mercury dime, about 19mm. Here's another image I took with the Buffalo nickel and Mercury dime.

Thanks,
    bob
    Bob

• << <i>Wow... quite a haul.... and amazing reale.. what date was the Merc?? Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks RickO, it was a lot of digging. I need to post a picture of the trash too.
    I can't read the date on the Merc or the Wheaties. Salt water was not kind. Buffalo is 1919. Here's a close-up of the Merc, can make out the '19' might be '191'.

bob
    Bob
  • Took another look at the crust that held the reale. Looks like there's something else in there. When I looked at first, I thought it was imprints from the coin I pulled out.

bob
    Bob
    I see what you mean.... not sure if that is corrosion residue from the reale or what is left of another coin.... interesting... Cheers, RickO
  • I ran the crud under my detector and pin pointer and got nothing. I'm guessing it's a nice thin layer of mud/sand that might have a cool looking imprint of the coin.

bob
    Bob
    Yep..that could be it, if no signal.... try extracting it....Cheers, RickO
    it might be where some of the silver was leached from the host coin into the crust. Might be silver mixed with mud but not strong enough to create a signal. Might be kind of neat trying to dissect the crusty part.
  • Talked to lots of folks, most seem to think the sections visible in the remaining crust are silver oxide layers that formed over the years. I opened up the crust this morning, crust was softer than I thought it would be, black layers inside that show the coin detail are very brittle.

Some iPhone pics...

Here's the 'R' for my half reale...

bob
    Bob