Home Precious Metals
Options

Is the 999.9 fineness of RCM silver bars just a gimmick?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
The RCM uses the 999.9 fineness of their silver bars as a selling feature. Is this a big deal to you or do you consider this to be just hype? Is there any practical difference of 999.9 fineness versus the 999+ fineness of most other silver bars and rounds in industry?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question...obviously an infinitesimal difference if real.... and certainly, for me, it would not command any difference in price. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything "made for collectors" is a gimmick.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I think you know my answer, that possibly spawned the question image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The RCM uses the 999.9 fineness of their silver bars as a selling feature. Is this a big deal to you or do you consider this to be just hype? Is there any practical difference of 999.9 fineness versus the 999+ fineness of most other silver bars and rounds in industry? >>

So for a 1000 gram bar, the standard 999 would seem to indicate about 1 gram's worth of "other" in the bar. A 999.9 bar would indicate just 1/10th of a gram of "other". At current values, that represents less than $.50 of silver on a $550 bar (check my math). Hardly seems worth it. But with all things being exactly equal, I would probably opt for the more pure bar.

However, that answer may be misleading, and may actually lead to a better question: How close to 999.9 fine are "average" 999 bars? It seems possible that the technology to create 999.9 bars is widespread. It may even be the norm. It's just that other refiners may not want to be held to that standard in writing to avoid consumer dissatisfaction or worse. So maybe they're actually 999.4 or 999.7. At that point, it's literally a few cents of difference in terms of value on a bar that costs over $500.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Regular bullion silver maples are also .9999 silver. Always have been, since the start of the program in 1988.

Is the .9999 Gold Buffalo US Mint line of bullion also a "gimmick" when compared to the AGE 22k purity?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Regular bullion silver maples are also .9999 silver. Always have been, since the start of the program in 1988.

Is the .9999 Gold Buffalo US Mint line of bullion also a "gimmick" when compared to the AGE 22k purity? >>

It's all a gimmick
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt if the difference between 999 fineness and 999.9 fineness matters in the silverware or jewelry industry but does it matters in the pharmaceutical and electronics industry?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt if the difference between 999 fineness and 999.9 fineness matters in the silverware or jewelry industry but does it matters in the pharmaceutical and electronics industry? >>

They do not generally use small collector bars for these applications; the silver for industry will be in even higher purity foil, wire, shot, "sponge", emulsion, or other suitable form.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you had seen the young lady employed by the RCM booth at the 2014 ANA Show in Rosemont, you would not be asking if it matters.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I doubt if the difference between 999 fineness and 999.9 fineness matters in the silverware or jewelry industry but does it matters in the pharmaceutical and electronics industry? >>

They do not generally use small collector bars for these applications; the silver for industry will be in even higher purity foil, wire, shot, "sponge", emulsion, or other suitable form. >>

good info on silver applications

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Means .0001 to me which I round to zero
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>if you had seen the young lady employed by the RCM booth at the 2014 ANA Show in Rosemont, you would not be asking if it matters. >>

Four nines?

• Options
    the more pure the metal content in a bullion product the sexier it is. Sex sells.