Home Metal Detecting

First day out with the new lightweight Lobo

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had my Lobo out today for the first time....new area that I've not searched before....Everything here sticks, pokes
or scratches you for sure! Pleased with the depth but alas it was only junk....NO gold today....Aluminum, tin, brass
and steel is all......Arms bled a bit from brushing against the wrong plants!
Overall had a great half day in the field and found that the belt mount worked great and my arms and shoulders
survived!!!!image
Northern Arizona...
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you guys need some of our North East snow! We're so far away from detecting it hurts.

Keep us posted on the finds, even if gold doesn't show up right away. I'm a bit out of the loop, but what is the Lobo?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tesoro Lobo, with detachable electronics that hang on your belt to ease the arm and shoulder damage.

Snow???

LOL, trees are blooming and spring has sprung here in the Mojave Desert!!!!

LOBO Here
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see another Tesoro user image. I use a Tesoro Cibola myself.

We have crazy cold here in Maryland; woke up to a temp of 0 and wind chill of -17. And supposed to get a lot of snow tomorrow. Spring cannot come fast enough!
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice to see another Tesoro user image. I use a Tesoro Cibola myself. >>

No offense intended, but, these machines have no display and look like antiques.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Arizona weather... and spring is awesome. Too bad no nuggets yet....they are there. I assume you check old stream beds and around the many 'maverick' mines....The one I found in AZ is 6+ grams....nice one. Best of luck...Cheers, RickO
    I think a lot of the Tesoro machines have knobs and no display, no?

<< <i>

No offense intended, but, these machines have no display and look like antiques. >>

Proven machines for nuggets....who needs a display??? I don't hunt homesteads and parks...not a coin hunter
    here. Yes, this machine has been around a long time....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

bobimage
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No offense intended, but, these machines have no display and look like antiques. >>

To each his/her own. A display provides more data but doesn't guarantee results. If an audio signal is jumping all over the place, chances are a display signal will too.

The Cibola has discrimination that seems to work fairly consistently. I've read plenty of posts on Treasurenet from Tesoro users who have found lots of goodies. I haven't found much but that is in large part due to my inexperience (sheer number of hours with the machine) and location of the hunt.
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

To each his/her own. A display provides more data but doesn't guarantee results. If an audio signal is jumping all over the place, chances are a display signal will too.

The Cibola has discrimination that seems to work fairly consistently. I've read plenty of posts on Treasurenet from Tesoro users who have found lots of goodies. I haven't found much but that is in large part due to my inexperience (sheer number of hours with the machine) and location of the hunt. >>

A display provides lots of useful information, including target depth, and does a pretty great job of differentiating between copper penny, dime, and quarter. On my Etrac, the display lets me create custom discrimination patterns. Although sound is critical, hunting without a display is a serious handicap.

I don't doubt that piles of silver coins have been found with outdated machines. Site selection is the number one factor in making good finds. A skilled operator with an outdated machine might well out hunt a novice with a high end machine. That being said, life is short and time is valuable. There's no point in handicapping yourself with an outdated machine.
    You park hunters have no clue on nugget hunting....

Do you know the last time I found a coin? Now 15 years give or take with a detector.

Answer: NEVER.

If it beeps I did it, don't care how deep I have to dig and don't care how small or large the target is.

As long as I can get a chirp/chirp on iron/tin then I'm okay. Sold tone on gold is all I need.

bobimage

small: image

large: image

larger: image
    Wow, did you find all of those nuggets? I'd take them over a crusty ol' Zincoln any day!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY nice nuggets...and spending time in the desert is great...used to know all the desert flora and was also familiar with the fauna...(i.e. snakes, lizards, quail, scorpions, tarantulas etc)....Arizona has a 'living' desert and provides endless entertainment... Cheers, RickO
    PCGS69, The little nuggets are locals and the two larger ones are Alaskan finds. Gotta go where the gold is once
    in your life!!!

Ricko, yes I have to watch out for the fauna as well as the thorny flora. Had a bloody arm from a fight with
    a thorny bush (it won). Saw a Jack rabbit and that's about it, but did have my head down most of the time.

Snakes are coming out of the winter dens so did not use my headphones.....but did not see any which is just fine.

bobimage