Home Precious Metals
Options

10oz engelhard eagle bar?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
I got a 10oz eagle engelhard silver today for $174, and see ads like this on ebay and it makes me wonder how much my 10 oz'er is worth. Same as this on the front with the diagonal engelhard on the back. (Of course there is another ad for $239 which seems more reasonable. )

Link to similar ebay ad.
COA

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a 10oz eagle engelhard silver today for $174, and see ads like this on ebay and it makes me wonder how much my 10 oz'er is worth. Same as this on the front with the diagonal engelhard on the back. (Of course there is another ad for $239 which seems more reasonable. )

Link to similar ebay ad. >>

That eBay seller is obviously trolling for a sucker. This style is fairly common and was the last type made by Engelhard. APMEX lists Engelhard bars by type if you want to see what high retail prices look like. They pay close to melt for such bars. I see them and a few other major bullion dealers at major coin shows where they buy up all the "collectable" bars from the coin dealers before the shows open to the general public. The ones left in dealer cases were not bought because they weren't priced cheap enough. POM started a thread a few months ago describing his experience trying to sell APMEX some rare 5 oz Engelhard bars and their low ball offer to buy them. It was quite the reality check as to the value and liquidity of these "collectable" bars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I know that Engelhard is a well respected name in bullion. But other than name brand and special collector desired bars, why does the common Engelhard bar demand such a premium over something like a common APMEX bar? Isn't .999 silver .999 silver?
  • Options

<< <i>OK, I know that Engelhard is a well respected name in bullion. But other than name brand and special collector desired bars, why does the common Engelhard bar demand such a premium over something like a common APMEX bar? Isn't .999 silver .999 silver? >>

Good question. I'm guessing it's because they stopped making bars and rounds in the late 1980's and there will be no more produced.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a 10oz eagle engelhard silver today for $174, and see ads like this on ebay and it makes me wonder how much my 10 oz'er is worth. Same as this on the front with the diagonal engelhard on the back. (Of course there is another ad for $239 which seems more reasonable. )

Link to similar ebay ad. >>

if you are lucky you will get spot, if you are a bit luckier you will get spot + 75 cents...otherwise spot - 50 cents to $1.50...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Thanks, much appreciated. Every area, audience type, and desire is different.

I get spot +1 for generics. So I'll expect a bit more for Engelhard just because, which to me gives a bit more credibility and validity over smo-mo generics.
    I'm following those at $239ish on ebay so I'll see. One with a more reasonable price
    Usually compare it to the Apmex equivalent as comparison, with a good discount for one, with no shipping and other charges.

The seller said he uses one of those guns to check the purity. I'm not sure if it can check the core????

link to a $239 equiv
    COA
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provident has your bars available for $$216.60

Provident metals

edited to show revised price..
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Provident has your bars available for $219.90

Provident metals >>

most local shops will have them at $1 or less over melt...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    OK, I know that Engelhard is a well respected name in bullion. But other than name brand and special collector desired bars, why does the common Engelhard bar demand such a premium over something like a common APMEX bar? Isn't .999 silver .999 silver?

They're the most recognized for every level of collector, so when it comes time to sell, buyers don't do the "hmm, where the hell did this bar come from?" once over looking at it the whole time like they're a detective trying to look for clues in a murder case. It's a recognizable item known for it's quality.
    They know Engelhard is known for being the purest of the pure bars ever made. And if you didn't you know now.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, I know that Engelhard is a well respected name in bullion. But other than name brand and special collector desired bars, why does the common Engelhard bar demand such a premium over something like a common APMEX bar? Isn't .999 silver .999 silver?

They're the most recognized for every level of collector, so when it comes time to sell, buyers don't do the "hmm, where the hell did this bar come from?" once over looking at it the whole time like they're a detective trying to look for clues in a murder case. It's a recognizable item known for it's quality.
    They know Engelhard is known for being the purest of the pure bars ever made. And if you didn't you know now. >>

There are many recognized bars where anyone who would know Engelhard would NOT go "hmmm"---OPM, NTR, Geiger, Silvertowne, J-M, Pamp, RCM, Scottsdale, etc.

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They know Engelhard is known for being the purest of the pure bars ever made. And if you didn't you know now. >>

I'm not disputing that Engelhard is generally the best brand name for bars, but the Royal Canadian Mint makes .9999+ pure silver 10 oz bars. Engelhard clocks in at the same .999 as everyone else.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They know Engelhard is known for being the purest of the pure bars ever made. And if you didn't you know now. >>

I'm not disputing that Engelhard is generally the best brand name for bars, but the Royal Canadian Mint makes .9999+ pure silver 10 oz bars. Engelhard clocks in at the same .999 as everyone else. >>

Good point. The RCM bars are ten times purer than Engelhard bars.image

• Options
    Give me an Engelhard any day of the week and twice on Sundays over any other "brand". Guess it just boils down to personal preference. The history of the Company, the era the bars were made, the known mintages on certain old pours. All excellent selling points when it comes time to sell.

Were all the other Mints mentioned making .9999 bars during the time Engelhard was making the .999 bars? Times change is the point, most weren't even in business yet. If Engelhard were is business now I'm sure they'd be making .9999 bars and still be the most renowned Mint out there....but they're not. Therefore, the bars have history and aren't pumped out in the hundreds of thousands the way newer bars are today. All jmho
  • Options
    I noted my B&M, that always has some generic silver all the time, came across a bunch of Engel's from 1 to 100oz. I thought about it and went back the next day and all gone. He was charging much more than spot +1. But then again, I didn't know if they were more rare than other Engel's. Got this off the apmex site and have to remember it when I sell (relating to the one I have):
    "This is apparently the last style that Engelhard made in a 10 oz bar. This pressed bar features an eagle flying over an American flag and is marked with a unique serial number."

But really there are two things true.
    -I'm selling my generic for better types or gold.
    -I'm as artificially biased as anyone, depending upon whether I'm buying it or selling it.

POM, remember those 5 gm JMs you sold me. Apmex offers them for $32.. Maybe they sell some, maybe not.
    (ps, put your shirt on)

lol

Seriously, thanks for all comments.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Got this off the apmex site and have to remember it when I sell (relating to the one I have):
    "This is apparently the last style that Engelhard made in a 10 oz bar. This pressed bar features an eagle flying over an American flag and is marked with a unique serial number." >>

there are many nuances that make up the collector/numi silver bar market...

one thing for sure is to look for and identify bs marketing ploys...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a RCM 10oz bar the other day, first time I'd seen one in person.
    They are superb! image
  • Options
    most local shops will have them at $1 or less over melt...

Hey rt1! If you can buy them for that cheap, you should buy them all, corner the market, then sell them all on eBay because even after fees you have a good chance to net $30+/bar image
  • Options
    Proof The one I listed sold for $239 within an hour of listing it.

Buy all the 10 oz engelhards you can for Spot like rt1 says they can be had for at local shops, and you will make $25-30 even after paying fees. image
  • Options
    lol, its not worth it...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    lol, its not worth it...

18% profit is enough for me. Lay out $1700 buying 10 bars to profit $300 isn't enough, and that's on a small time scale?
    Easier to do this than trying to score 18% on 1 or 2 items.
    The whole problem with the concept is the point I'm trying to make...you aint gonna find engelhards at Spot in the first place. image
  • Options
    Ahh , let me correct that... You aren't going to find any... Lol...
    keceph `anah