Home Precious Metals
Options

Good day urban mining

Just got back from my bank and bought all the halves out of the counting machine, $168 face total. Also bought the only 2 halves out of that particular teller's drawer, 1- 1965 and 1- 1971. image

9- 1964 Kennedys
7- 40%
1- metal washer

Probably my best ratio of silver to face value. They're still out there. Few and far between these days.
@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad at all.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Nice. I need to open a local bank account and start doing this again. I had BoA and was totally dissatisfied with their service so I closed my account. Now... No local account.

Congrats on your pull.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    This local bank has a branch in my small town and 2 branches in the larger neighboring town 7 miles away. This makes it easy to get coins from one and dump in another for deposit without ticking the tellers off at my local branch.

I also have an account at my local Credit Union. I like doing business with them better than my regular bank but they don't have a coin counter.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Huh.

The coincounter @ my CU appears to be a commercial enterprise, I always figured it was externally serviced and maintained by an enterprise renting the space on the property. The CU allows use of it if you are a member, otherwise, you cough up a percentage of the sorted coin value upon redemption of the sorted coin receipt with the teller.

I'll ask the CU mgr what the story is, whether the CU maintains coin inventory on behalf of the coincounter business.

<<9- 1964 Kennedys>> - Most excellent!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats not a bad number at all.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd call that a great day. I went through every quarter from my coin ops in the last week--close to $1,000.

Nothing. Been a months long dry spell.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to be around when they service the Coinstar at the market....never have been...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got back from my bank and bought all the halves out of the counting machine, $168 face total >>

Your bank is totally different. At the bank I worked in after college, the coins in the counting machine went straight to the Fed. We weren't allowed to open the bags at all.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Not until the count gets to $1000 in the counter do they bag 'em up and ship 'em off. I try to catch them about once a month before they hit the magic number.

My biggest "missed it by THAT much" story was stopping by another bank one day asking if they had any halves in the counter. They said they just sold $300 face value out of it 10 minutes before I got there that an old lady dumped out of her safe deposit box that morning to cash in the coins her husband left in there that were rolled up. The teller said they weren't the "modern" looking halves and that most had who she thought was Ben Franklin on them and some lady standing up. image I almost shed a tear......

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    I just got a sick feeling in my stomach reading that.