Home Precious Metals
Options

Type of ebay payment?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
I'm new to it, so just been using the default paypal method. Someone asked if I would accept USPS money order.
Would you accept?

thxs in advance
COA

Comments

• Options
    Why not if your buyer is an established member on eBay?
    You save on Paypal fees.
    I think the USPS website keep a - pretty much - updated list of fake money orders.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to worry about the MO being legit/stolen/counterfeit. USPS (postal) money orders are the safest and can be cashed at the post office or deposited at the bank. And yes, you save the .029% paypal fee by not involving paypal.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not if time is not of the essence? Have him send you the MO serial number so you can pre-verify it.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You have to worry about the MO being legit/stolen/counterfeit. USPS (postal) money orders are the safest and can be cashed at the post office or deposited at the bank. And yes, you save the .029% paypal fee by not involving paypal. >>

Isn't it a 2.9% transaction fee?
    Like 100X as much as .029%
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You have to worry about the MO being legit/stolen/counterfeit. USPS (postal) money orders are the safest and can be cashed at the post office or deposited at the bank. And yes, you save the .029% paypal fee by not involving paypal. >>

Isn't it a 2.9% transaction fee?
    Like 100X as much as .029% >>

2.9% +$.30
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    yepper, 2.9% papal fee

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone asked if I would accept USPS money order. >>

Seems safe as long as you get it and cash it at the PO before you ship.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone asked if I would accept USPS money order. >>

Seems safe as long as you get it and cash it at the PO before you ship. >>

If he gives you the MO serial # in advance you can pre-verify it. Just make sure that the MO you get has the same serial number on it.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the dollar amount is low enough they have it in the drawer, the PO will cash them on the spot.

I've cashed $200-$300 with one.

Before paypal I'd take them by request. Almost as good as cash if the PO cashes them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    and if they can't cash a usps MO, they can verify it is legit and not on the "stolen" list.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to cash a USPS Money Order the best time to go is later in the day when they are more likely to have the cash on hand.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
    The total is only $20 so none of the extra thought or effort is worth it right now. I'll see if I need to bother in the future.
    COA
  • Options
    Perhaps the buyer wanted to keep the transaction less transparent.
  • Options
    Other than green money, a USPS MO is the second best method of payment when it comes to strangers.

• Options

<< <i>Other than green money, a USPS MO is the second best method of payment when it comes to strangers. >>

An offer to sell tickets for the upcoming Grateful Dead concerts in Chicago stipulated that payment had to be remitted by money order only.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Other than green money, a USPS MO is the second best method of payment when it comes to strangers. >>

An offer to sell tickets for the upcoming Grateful Dead concerts in Chicago stipulated that payment had to be remitted by money order only. >>

I want those tickets!!!