Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Kareem Abdul Jabbar Collectors Updated 7-6-15 with new additions

I have been working on putting together a run of Alcindor/Jabbar cards. I have picked up the first 5 years and wow what a struggle to find nicely centered cards. Here is what I have so far. Anyone else out there collect Jabbar and if so any insight into which cards will be the most challenging for me to find centered as I plod along? Thanks for looking.

imageimage
imageimageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if you're doing just base Topps or all cards featuring him, but some of the 71-72T Leaders with Kareem and others are probably tougher than his base card that year. At least it seemed that way when I was working on that set a few years back.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Almost done with basic set. Great start you've got here!

All the best.
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Not a collector of Kareem, but just wanted to say those cards present VERY well. LOVE the centering on that Rookie ... hard to find them like that!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The plan is to just his basic card set. I was very pleased to pick up the PSA 6 rookie and was able to sell my PSA 7 which did not look as good. Thanks everyone for the comments so far.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    My dad says he doesn't really work that hard on defense and that he only really tries during the playoffs.

Joey
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My dad says he doesn't really work that hard on defense and that he only really tries during the playoffs.

Joey >>

Too funny, I was going to ask if there are any Airplane cards.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Do you have any interest in his 1968 Mira card? I don't have one.. I was just curious if you wanted for the collection. If so I would look for a raw one which usually sell for about 50 bucks. Graded ones go for quite a bit more
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    He's at the Adidas NYC store right now signing autographs. he announced on his twitter earlier.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have any interest in his 1968 Mira card? I don't have one.. I was just curious if you wanted for the collection. If so I would look for a raw one which usually sell for about 50 bucks. Graded ones go for quite a bit more >>

I might add it at some point. Good idea to buy it raw. The few I have seen graded are very expensive so I have not seriously considered. I will keep any eye out for a raw one. Thanks.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
  • Options
    What a great start to a player collection of an icon!
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the 1974 Topps. That card is tough even in a 7 or 8.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Kareem signs through the mail for $100. Here's the result:

• Options
    When I first started sending TTMs back in 2009 I sent two to Kareem. He signed them both at NO CHARGE. From the time I mailed them from Long Island until I received them back from California, it took only 10 days! I guess those days are gone forever. BTW, that '69 looks real nice with that sig.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Great cards! The 69 rookie looks great. I also have a 6 it's my favorite card in my collection. image

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

<< <i>When I first started sending TTMs back in 2009 I sent two to Kareem. He signed them both at NO CHARGE. From the time I mailed them from Long Island until I received them back from California, it took only 10 days! I guess those days are gone forever. BTW, that '69 looks real nice with that sig. >>

Nice to see all the responses for this all-time great. Very cool that he signed both at no charge and a quick send back. Kareem always seemed to be well-grounded (I base this on very limited knowledge). I can remember reading a couple of articles he wrote that had nothing to do with sports and was surprised at how well thought out it was. Has anyone actually met Kareem? Any stories etc...?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone actually met Kareem? Any stories etc...? >>

yeah, several years ago we had a brief encounter at the LAX terminal while waiting for separate flights to the Hawaiian Islands. he wasn't feeling very talkative as it was quite early in the morning and Starbucks was closed. image
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Now this is my kind of thread! Sweet cards. Congrats on finding some nice eye appeal cards. Love that hoops is getting some love on here. Hard to believe but the NBA's all time leading scorer may also be its most underrated player. He almost never gets mentioned in the same breath as MJ or Russell but if you look at the resume it is pretty great. Keep us updated on the future of your collection.
    Steve
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My dad says he doesn't really work that hard on defense and that he only really tries during the playoffs.

Joey >>

Too funny, I was going to ask if there are any Airplane cards. >>

Shouldn't that be posted in a Rodger Murdock thread?

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>My dad says he doesn't really work that hard on defense and that he only really tries during the playoffs. Joey >>

Watch here.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is a scan of my baby.

imageimage

Tim
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    Here is my PSA 9 (OC top-bottom). Thinking getting it reslabbed, you think i can get straight 8 with no qualifier?

• Options
    I collect Abdul-Jabbar but at this stage I'm really only going after his later on issues when he was with the Lakers. Sorry I can't be of much help but I think your cards look great.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    That's a nice Alcindor/Abdul-Jabbar collection you have going.

Your next card up, the '74-75 regular issue card # 1, is one of his toughest cards to
    find centered, not tilted, and without print defects. In '74 Topps used some pretty rotten
    paper stock for that year's basketball cards. I think the '74 Kareem card is his toughest
    card to find in high grade condition. Just my opinion.

I collect his cards too, here's my raw RC from my set:

• Options

<< <i>That's a nice Alcindor/Abdul-Jabbar collection you have going.

Your next card up, the '74-75 regular issue card # 1, is one of his toughest cards to
    find centered, not tilted, and without print defects. In '74 Topps used some pretty rotten
    paper stock for that year's basketball cards. I think the '74 Kareem card is his toughest
    card to find in high grade condition. Just my opinion.

I collect his cards too, here's my raw RC from my set:

image >>

Thanks for the info. on the 74-75 card #1. I had started doing a few searches for that card and was amazed at the limited number of graded cards. Even some PSA 8's were not close to the centering I like. I was not aware of the paper stock. Good info. to know so if I do find a good I will pull the trigger even if it is above avg. price. Thanks everyone for the input and great picts you have posted.
  • Options
    Keep 'Em coming fellas! This is shaping up to be an all time great thread!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Kareem was NBA MVP a record six times, NBA World Champion six times, a three time NCAA Player of the Year (freshmen were not eligible back then), the NBA All Time leading scorer, and one of the best players in the history of sports.

I did meet him once in 1990, and he was very friendly, appreciative of my kind words, and extremely-large-handed.

He has also written a lot of thought provoking articles and books, on subjects other than sports.

A true legend, and sadly underrated.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>

Thanks for the info. on the 74-75 card #1. I had started doing a few searches for that card and was amazed at the limited number of graded cards. Even some PSA 8's were not close to the centering I like. I was not aware of the paper stock. Good info. to know so if I do find a good I will pull the trigger even if it is above avg. price. Thanks everyone for the input and great picts you have posted. >>

Topps used inferior stock on the 1973-74 and 1974-75 Basketball sets.

That '74 Kareem card could be found in PSA 8 for $40-50 several years ago.
    Then there was quite an uptick on prices. Four out of the last five sales of that card
    have sold for between $107-115 range. A couple of those examples that sold were pretty sharp.

So you might be able to find a weaker 8 for $60-75, but expect to pay slightly north of $100 for
    a sharp example. There's only one sale recorded on VCP of a PSA 9 and that was nine years ago,
    that card sold for $500. I seem to recall another 9 selling in the past couple of years for around $400,
    but I could be wrong about that.

Good luck hunting one down and with your Abdul-Jabbar card quest.
  • Options
    Wow guys ... many of you have great looking rookies! Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Here is a short video clip of Kareem. Thought it would be appropriate. Hope you enjoy.

Kareem
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My dad says he doesn't really work that hard on defense and that he only really tries during the playoffs. Joey >>

Watch here. >>

Surely you can't be serious!
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    I guess it's time to share mine:

(the mark on the top right is the holder)

• Options
    OK, Evan wins, lol. Does anybody know the Pop of that card?
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    It's a pop 1.

• Options

<< <i>It's a pop 1. >>

Hot damn.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the PSA 10 rookie. Wow!!!!!!!! Let the drooling begin.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The 7-10 split:

• Options

<< <i>I guess it's time to share mine:

(the mark on the top right is the holder) >>

A thing of beauty!!!

Tim
  • Options
    KAJ will be at Vroman's/Pasadena on 2/27 for a book signing.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    It is a POP 1, but for $500,000, I bet it could be yours!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>I guess it's time to share mine:

(the mark on the top right is the holder) >>

WOW, that's a stunning Alcindor RC. Best I've ever seen.

Also, that PSA 7 isn't too shabby either.
  • Options
    I am pretty happy to have added these two additions to my Jabbar collection. Anyone else out there add any to your collection? If so post them for all to see. Thanks for looking.
    imageimage
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Beauties. Great looking 8 on that 86 Fleer.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Love the 76!
  • Options

<< <i>Beauties. Great looking 8 on that 86 Fleer. >>

I was looking to get it in a 9 but when I saw this 8 it looked as good as a lot of 9's and had better centering than most of the 9's. A year ago I would have bought the holder (PSA 9) and not even considered a PSA 8. Thanks for noticing.
  • Options
    JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    The 1976 card is one of my favorites. In my opinion this is his first true Lakers card because the 1975 Topps is a photo of him as a Milwaukee Buck painted to look like he's wearing a Lakers jersey.

I was fortunate to see Kareem play in person when I was young in either 1988 or 1989. They let me stand near the tunnel where the players come out to the court and Kareem walked right by me. He looked like a giant. That was a pretty big thrill for me. Also, he did a book signing in my area in February and I was able to meet him briefly so that was pretty cool. I would have missed it if I didn't follow him on Twitter, lol.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    ledstersledsters Posts: 603 ✭✭
    If any of you Abdul Jabbar collectors are interested in this signed program please PM me. I am looking for $80 delivered on it.

Thank you,

Kevin

[URL=http://s203.photobucket.com/user/ledsters/media/AbdulJabbar.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s203.photobucket.com/user/ledsters/media/Abdul Jabbar close up.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Here is my latest addition to my Jabbar collection. Very please to find this one for a very good Best Offer price on Ebay. Hard to find this one centered.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Sweet!