Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please weigh in on what you know about Verdi-Care.

I already know that proper use of acetone is a coin conservation measure. I saw this product available on Wizard Coin Supply and would like to know what you guys know about it. Is this also a good conservation measure. How about its use in an ultra sonic jewelry cleaner bath?

Verdi-Care product
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know too ???
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    here is a small post about it and I read some stuff about it on LCR not to sure what the sniffer would think as it states it leaves a protective layer on the coin so I would do a good acetone soaking after if I used it. Pure canola oil works pretty good if you let the coin soak for a couple of days, try it out on a coin that is not important to you first.
    linl to post
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The only chemical I use is e-z-est for dipping a modern proof before sending to PCGS.

I wouldn't mess with a real coin.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Topographic Oceans,

I can understand dipping a modern proof in something like e-Z-est right before sending it to PCGS. You just want to rinse it off of any impurities before it is slabbed. However, a modern proof is very condition sensitive (the mirrored finish can easily show marks or contamination, yet it seems like Third Party Graders are slabbing and not body bagging your coins). If you are successful with modern proofs, regular coins should be easier, right?

What is the hesitation on using them on other coins?

I always practice on junk silver first so that there is no risk.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MSDS sheet is not helpful.... however, without a chemical analysis, and with the caution they give 'not for use on proof coins'. I would not use this material without extensive experimentation. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The MSDS sheet is not helpful.... however, without a chemical analysis, and with the caution they give 'not for use on proof coins'. I would not use this material without extensive experimentation. Cheers, RickO >>

It's mildly helpful. From the MSDS, I was able to deduce that Verdi-Gone was most likely a tetraalkylammonium hydroxide of some sort. The MSDS for Verdi-Care tells you that one of the combustion products is oxides of nitrogen and the pH puts it in the mildly alkaline category. Seems to me that it's a tetraalkylyammonium based surfactant of some type.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The MSDS sheet is not helpful.... however, without a chemical analysis, and with the caution they give 'not for use on proof coins'. I would not use this material without extensive experimentation. Cheers, RickO >>

It's mildly helpful. From the MSDS, I was able to deduce that Verdi-Gone was most likely a tetraalkylammonium hydroxide of some sort. The MSDS for Verdi-Care tells you that one of the combustion products is oxides of nitrogen and the pH puts it in the mildly alkaline category. Seems to me that it's a tetraalkylyammonium based surfactant of some type. >>

So -- that means -- Alkaline chemical + ammonia + soap?

Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

It's mildly helpful. From the MSDS, I was able to deduce that Verdi-Gone was most likely a tetraalkylammonium hydroxide of some sort. The MSDS for Verdi-Care tells you that one of the combustion products is oxides of nitrogen and the pH puts it in the mildly alkaline category. Seems to me that it's a tetraalkylyammonium based surfactant of some type. >>

In the absence of additional, detailed information, that is a logical conclusion. If something on the surface of a coin doesn't come off with water, your options are limited: acetone, an alcohol like ethanol or perhaps isopropanol, another volatile organic solvent like a low-molecular weight chlorinated hydrocarbon, something acidic, or a detergent/surfactant (many are alkaline). Very thorough rinsing afterwards with a pure solvent is always a must.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

So -- that means -- Alkaline chemical + ammonia + soap? >>

Not necessarily. The higher molecular weight tetraalkylammonium compounds typically have detergent properties. They are often referred to as invert soaps, because the large part of the molecule has a positive charge instead of the more usual negative charge like the alkyl sulfates or alkylbenzene sulfates. Since sulfur oxides aren't listed as combustion products, the active ingredient may be a tetraalkylammonium acetate, basically Verdi-Gone with some vinegar added.

There is apparently something else in it besides the above compound/s, but if the MSDS is truthful it contains only carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and maybe nitrogen too.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. Keep it coming!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used it on coins with advanced verdigris. It seems to get rid of, or significantly reduce, the verdigris for about half of the coins. The other half of the coins it doesn't improve, nor does it make them worse.

As with all products applied to coins, it is best to try it first on coins of very low value. I use corroded Indian cents for my tests. You have to put the drops of Verdi-Care right on the areas with verdigris, not necessarily the entire coin. I let it soak for a long time, a day or two or three. As it soaks, you can examine the coin and often can see more of the coin as the chemical removes the verdigris. Then I use a Q-tip and rub the area and often some of the verdigris will disappear. The chemical won't work if the coin is too far gone, and sometimes it doesn't remove verdigris even when there isn't much on the coin.

I don't know about using it in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. There is a data sheet on Verdi-Care on the Internet. Also, "verdigris" is difficult to type! But, overall, I would recommend it for use on coins that have verdigris.

Hope this helps.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file