Home Precious Metals
Options

Does anyone use an app for precious metal tracking?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been using "Gold Tracker" (Hearne Apps, LLC) for a couple years as it had a nice portfolio tracker. So nice in fact, I stopped updating my regular notes as well as I should. I woke up yesterday and after a new update apparently the rather slimy developer has made the portfolio tracking aspect into a pay service. All my data is locked up and I would have to pay what I consider extortion to get access to it again on my tablet. Fortunately my phone didn't do an auto update so I could at least get my last set of numbers, but I will not support a slimy, underhanded scheme where one's data is being held hostage.

Gold Tracker I notice the 38 review count is now down to 34 and my review has not posted. Kind of makes one lose faith (hah!) in the review integrity at Apple.

In any case, can someone recommend a nice basic tracker with a portfolio feature?

I'm not looking for a free app, in fact Gold Tracker wasn't free, but at least one that doesn't play the data hostage game. Of course free is nice and I am pretty good at ignoring ads...however paying 11.99 a year to look at my data (or 49.99 for 'lifetime access' and/or until the developer decides to jack the rates or stop updating the app) is ludicrous.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

whats to stop an apps-hole developer from knowing entirely too much about your holdings? I can't imagine trusting most of my own family members with that information let alone some nameless person

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>whats to stop an apps-hole developer from knowing entirely too much about your holdings? I can't imagine trusting most of my own family members with that information let alone some nameless person >>

Good point, especially with the 'new' and 'upgraded' app where one can do ever so much more detailed tracking--like per individual gram, ounce, coin, bar etc. NOT something I want to do on an app. Mine was a basic XXX ounces of gold YYY ounces of silver (and I kept my 90% conversion elsewhere) and ZZZ ounces of platinum. A bit generic but it was nice to be able to see a total with a swipe. My records are a little vague and mostly I was keeping a running total--but that was where my last couple swaps were updated. I'm sure the developers could spout all kind of platitudes about not having access that is personally identifiable but I somehow would think that is a crock.

DerryB, thanks for the link. Is there a simple portfolio section? I can live without that feature but it was just nice (and part of why I had that other stupid app in the first place). Kind of a nice reminder about the difference between licensing something electronic, vs. owning something 'real' (like an e-book vs. a paper book--the e-book is fine unless the vendor changes it's mind I suppose). I downloaded it but haven't played with it yet.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just follow Kitco.... more than enough information...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    A person could set up a spreadsheet on Google docs and pull live quotes to update the spreadsheet.

It takes a bit of work to set it up. I had to do a search to figure out how to retrieve live quotes. If a person can't find actual gold or silver spot quotes, they could use GLD and SLV and use a multiplier and it will be close enough for most people. Once the spreadsheet is done, it is a webpage that can be bookmarked and accessed by any Internet browser. I might suggest divide the number of ounces by ten or a hundred for those with large holdings.

On Google docs, most spreadsheet functions are available, including graphs. So a person can visually track the value, prices, or ounces over time. Again, I might be wary of putting the actual number of ounces in, if I had a large amount. Divide by ten or a hundred makes for easy math.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesnt anyone use a calculator anymore?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Doesnt anyone use a calculator anymore? >>

A calculator...I have an app for that image

I can revive my old spreadsheet I suppose, I just liked having a total for all the Au, Ag, and Pt together at a swipe of a finger.

The Kitco app looks pretty good. Thanks for reminding me to look at it.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A person could set up a spreadsheet on Google docs and pull live quotes to update the spreadsheet.

It takes a bit of work to set it up. I had to do a search to figure out how to retrieve live quotes. If a person can't find actual gold or silver spot quotes, they could use GLD and SLV and use a multiplier and it will be close enough for most people. Once the spreadsheet is done, it is a webpage that can be bookmarked and accessed by any Internet browser. I might suggest divide the number of ounces by ten or a hundred for those with large holdings.

On Google docs, most spreadsheet functions are available, including graphs. So a person can visually track the value, prices, or ounces over time. Again, I might be wary of putting the actual number of ounces in, if I had a large amount. Divide by ten or a hundred makes for easy math. >>

A regular spreadsheet maybe but not google docs. Don't put anything on google you don't want the universe to know.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah … I can't keep track of jack with an app.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't own a single app, guess I'm missing out image I was out at dinner one night and one of the girls was so excited to use her app to figure out the tip.
    She couldn't compute 10% of the bill then double it. I did it faster in my head then she could using an app. Shouldn't any average person be able to
    figure out what 10% of anything is? She'll have her Masters sometime this year image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO