Home Metal Detecting

So what do you prefer, Garrett or Whites?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been using a Garrett 1500 for a few yrs now and really enjoy it. I just got a Whites mxt, has an eclipse 950 coil and an eclipes DD coil. I haven't used it yet. Has anyone here used one and/or either? Which did/do you prefer?
Thanks for any input.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always preferred White's, both for technology and especially customer service. Not to say Garrett's are not good product though.... Cheers, RickO
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take choice C - Minelab. Been using a minelab detector since 2009 and they work well.

Heard good things about both White's and Garrett, so I think it's like asking if you like Coke or Pepsi. Both are proven with lots of backers.

edited to fix typo
    A lot of truth there pcgs69... I have seven White's machines, so my preference is obvious...image Cheers, RickO
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will take choice "F" for Fisher. I've used 2 of them for 20 years.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys. Guess I'll try the whites out and see which one I like using better. I'd like to get the wife to go with me so 2 of them would be useful. She's very outdoorsy and would love it.
    Good luck and great to hear the wife will be joining you....it is a great hobby and always fun to have a partner. Cheers, RickO
  • PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I am accustomed to the Garrett line, started on an Ace 350, upgraded to the ATI 2500 a season later. (still have and enjoy the 350 for turning grandkids, nephews and nieces loose.)
    Cool that your Wife is interested, makes it a LOT more fun.
    My Wife is the digger-pin pointer, I am usually swinging it.
    Our home is on property that was a large farm, was divvied up into 4 parcels in 1870, have found some nice old coins, been meaning to post.
    She swears 'I just know there is treasure buried here.'
    Maybe there is!
    Easier swinging than digging! (I do enjoy doing both while she is at work, though!)
    Best to you and your Wife, Have Fun!
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your target as to which coil to use. I used a Whites with an eliptical coil for nugget shooting.

But, what are you searching for? Do a bit of research on the coils and you'll see that they all have
    different attributes for different targets.

Whites would be my preference as long as you can swing the weight.

I just bought a Tesoro Lobo for the fact I can put the electronics on my belt and then just have
    the wand and coil to swing....still learning the ropes as far as targets as it's brand new. Have yet to
    get into a nugget area yet but plan on it soon.

I do know that a nickel will react the best for practice as far as nugget searching goes.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Nugget shooting is fun.... I have found two - one 7 grams and one 6 grams...Have not gone in years since I moved back East...Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i now use the whites brand and have used the garrett brand, i like the customer service and technology whites has now. just saying
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the whites out to the yard the other day. Dug up a couple pieces of junk. Seems to work just as good as my garrett. Will take a little more getting used to but I think it will be fun. Thanks for the comments guys.