Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

*** PSA/DNA Red Flip group submission-March 2015(both subs grades posted)

It's that time a year again and time for another psa/dna red flip autographed card group submission. I will be submitting all of the cards to PSA sometime in the middle of March. Once again, PSA has been extremely generous to allow me to offer a substantial group discount for the message board.
As many of you have probably already noticed, PSA’s new monthly special price for this service is $18 per card. I have come to an agreement with PSA, if we can get a minimum submission of 750+ cards they will only charge us $13.00 per card if we can only put together 500 cards then the price would go up an extra
$0.50 per card plus shipping and insurance fees. So lets please try an hit that 750 card limit so we can get the cheaper price.

Here are the rules of the sub, so PLEASE READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY SO THERE IS NO CONFUSSION WHEN THE TIME COMES TO SEND ME YOUR CARDS.

I have received several PM’s asking if they could get cards graded with a # grade; cards with just the “Authentic” flip. So what I will be doing is placing 2 subs which are all listed here:

-Sub number 1 will be red flip with # grade (standard sized cards)
- Sub number 2 will be red flip WITHOUT # grade labeled "AUTHENTIC" (standard size cards)

When you send me your cards, please make it VERY CLEAR which cards you would like graded with a # grade and which cards you would like labeled “Authentic” (without a number grade.) for standard sized cards only. Tallboys/oversized cards will not be allowed for this sub.

Breakdown of fees:

Instead of trying to figure out exactly what every ones totals will be with shipping to and from PSA, insurance, packing material, and numerous other expenses included in putting together three subs, assuming we hit the 750 card quota I am just going to charge a flat fee of $14.50 per card. I have pretty much illuminated most of the up charge I was including for my time. I am fine with this because I just want to make sure we can enough people interested so we don’t have to pay the normal monthly special fee which is much higher.

Once the cards have been graded and or returned to me from PSA, I will then get each person an exact total from the post office to return your cards. I know some people might start complaining at this point but just to give you a reference of how long it took me to fill out all the sub forms and pack up our last 1000+ card sub I put more than 80 hours of my time into doing this sub from start to finish, and that is not an inflated number. Just like the last sub we did, my ultimate goal is to make sure everything runs smoothly and there are no mistakes or mix-ups when you receive your cards back from the sub.

Here are the rules to the group sub:

1) The standard size cards that pass, will be labeled with the red flip. The autograph itself will not be graded, only authenticated, but the card will be graded if you choose or it can be labeled “Authentic” without a number grade. You may split your sub between the two services with your standard size cards. When you send me your cards please make it clear which cards you would like labeled with a # grade and which cards you want labeled “Authentic” (without a number grade.) .
2)All cards must be licensed trading cards-
3 These subs are for cards only no memorabilia , index cards, Tickets, or photos will be submitted.
4) There are no cards allowed that are valued over $200.00. Please don't play games with this and submit cards valued higher. PSA is being good to us, and giving us a good deal, don't take advantage of them.
5) To participate in this group sub, you must send in a minimum of 5 cards. The last few times I had a 10 card minimum but I know a lot of people had 5,6,7 cards and I don't want them to get left out this time.
6) The price is $14.50 per card for standard size cards if we hit 750 cards, plus the exact shipping totals to get the cards back to you once I receive them back from PSA. If you are unhappy with this fee structure then please don't participate in the sub.
7) When you send me your cards you must include the grading fees up front with your cards($14.50 per card).I will only accept payments via check or money order . If your check or money order bounces, then I will not send your submission and you will pay for me to ship them back to you. You must pay in full when you send me the cards for submission.

Once I receive the cards back from PSA I will then contact you with the cost of returning your cards and you can send me a check , money order, or PayPal for the return shipping. I know it is a pain in the butt to send a second payment for the cards to be returned to you, but there is really no way to calculate the shipping weight until I have the cards back in my possession.
8) The submission will be going to PSA in the middle of March.. The deadline to get me your cards is March 1st. I know it will take some time to get your cards together but if possible, please don't wait until the last minute to get me your cards/payment. Also, I will be traveling for work from Feb.17-22 so please make sure your cards don't arrive at my house during those dates because I don't want me wife to have to be responsible for everyones cards while I'm gone.
9) When you send me your cards, you must package them in individual CS1's only ( or UltraPro equivalent). Standard top loaders are not allowed. Also, this is very important, Please include a detailed inventory list with all pertinent information including your name and CU user ID, card name, manufacture, year, player name and card value. Check PSA's submission center if you are unsure how to do that. Please make sure it is clear which cards you want graded with a # grade, and which cards you want labeled "Authentic" (without a # grade) for the standard sized cards. You must ship them in a method that requires my signature. Make sure you purchase adequate insurance. Again, to make this clear, this sub is only for PSA/DNA Red Flp holders.
10) If you are planning on participating, please post in this thread with your approximate quantity, and I will keep a running list in this post.
11) Please don't ask me if we can get a better deal with PSA, if you'd like to do that, do it yourself and you will see we are getting the best possible price. Again, I think they are being more than fair and generous with their pricing. It works for me, if it doesn't work for you, then don't participate.
12) I am not responsible for PSA's turnaround time. If it takes them a week, that's awesome, if it takes them 3 months, that's not my responsibility. I'll be waiting anxiously just like you.
13)If you still have questions, please ask me in the thread, not via PM's, it's much easier for me to keep track of it that way.
14) Once you have read the rules and you decide you would like to participate in the group sub, please send me a PM and I will send you my shipping/payment info.

I am sorry for all the rules, I just don't want there to be any misconceptions, and in order for everything to go smoothly, I feel it's best to set them from day one. I will also keep the board updated on a weekly basis to let everyone know where we are in the submission process.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Also, please post an estimate in the thread of how many cards you think you are going to send. I just want to make sure we can get to the 750 card minimum that PSA is requiring to get the discount.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    All your effort in putting this together is much appreciated, John. Count me in for 5.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    I'm in for 65
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    cut mine down to 18
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Trying to figure out how many I have. Anyone know how to determine if PSA will slab a certain issue or not? My current method is to search ebay for other items in the series....If an issue not currently slabbed, how do I get the issue added to their list?

Jim Boeheim 1989 Selco

Jerry Colangelo ???Anyone know what issues this is?

Jerry Buss 1986 Starr

Geno Auriemma 1997 First Union

Bud Selig ???? Wisconsin Historical Museum

Doug Harvey 1984 Smokey Bear

Gustavo Kuerten 1999 ATP Tour
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for at least 13
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for around 50.

Thanks!

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Count me in for at least 10 and most likely more.
  • Options
    Thank you for putting this together, and for changing the minimum. I'm in for at least 5, and maybe 6.
  • Options
    I'd do 5 or 6 if you get the $13 price .
  • Options
    Tallboys?
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I'm good for 5-10.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tallboys? >>

"Tallboys/oversized cards will not be allowed for this sub."
  • Options
    Darn. I still do 5 or 6.
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be in for 10 cards with grade.

Thanks again for putting this together!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    I have a quick question about tampered cards PSA will grade. Would they grade the following card as poor or deem it ungradeable? In other words, should I just do the no-grade authentic approach? Don't have any others that are just authentic so I'm not really a fan of that approach.

• Options
    Spanky, that counts as trimming, so they would only slab it as the card being authentic.
  • Options
    pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    i might be in for about 5. let me see if i have enough, will update.
  • Options
    Im in for 12
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Tentatively in for 5.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    JudgeItoJudgeIto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for 10-15.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 5 for now.

Possibly a couple more but they're not in hand at the moment so can't count those until I check them over when they arrive.

• Options
    I am in for 60.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    a subject for another day
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    5 to 10 here
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

If there's trouble meeting the 750 minimum total quantity, any chance of later adding the ability to sub tall-boy sized items, possibly with an added charge if necessary (though hopefully at same rate image ) ?

• Options
    3 more to add to my 12. 15 total
  • Options
    3 more to add to my 12.

15 total
  • Options
    Add 3 to my previous 12.

15 total
  • Options
    Am I right to assume that this submission is for autographed cards only? If so is there anyone that does a non auto bulk sub? and if so how often, so I can keep an eye out for it. Finally whats the difference between a blue flip vs a red flip? LMK thank you Craig
    Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Craig,

Blue flip grades the autograph but not the card. Red flip grades the card and authenticates the auto. There are group subs occasionally for grading cards and usual someone will post a thread when they are trying to get one together.
  • Options

<< <i>Craig,

Blue flip grades the autograph but not the card. Red flip grades the card and authenticates the auto. There are group subs occasionally for grading cards and usual someone will post a thread when they are trying to get one together. >>

So if I wanted to get a Topps chrome rookie autographed card graded it would fall under the "red flip" whereas if I wanted to have a card I sent in the mail for an auto authenticated it would be the "blue flip"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Craig,

Blue flip grades the autograph but not the card. Red flip grades the card and authenticates the auto. There are group subs occasionally for grading cards and usual someone will post a thread when they are trying to get one together. >>

So if I wanted to get a Topps chrome rookie autographed card graded it would fall under the "red flip" whereas if I wanted to have a card I sent in the mail for an auto authenticated it would be the "blue flip" >>

I think you have it confused.

Both red and blue PSA/DNA subs are primarily for cards that are signed after-market. The difference is that, with red, the card is graded along with the auto authentication. For blue flips, ONLY the auto is authenticated -- nothing with the card.

I say "primarily" because you technically *can* submit manufacturer autos for PSA/DNA - it's just that no one does because they're considered 100% authentic by most anyway, so there's no real need, and for manufacturer autos 1998 and later you can submit them for regular PSA grading (no PSA/DNA add-on) for a much cheaper rate (6-7 dollars, usually).
  • Options
    thanks Casey I got it now ............ appreciate the explanation
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    I could do about 10-15.
  • Options
    Count me in for 35.
    If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. J Paul Getty
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John ... thanks for putting this together again. Can't give you a definite answer yet, but would like to get 20 in this sub.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>If there's trouble meeting the 750 minimum total quantity, any chance of later adding the ability to sub tall-boy sized items, possibly with an added charge if necessary (though hopefully at same rate image ) ? >>

As of right now I am not planning on subbing oversized/tallboys. The reason I don't want to do them is because PSA requires you to submit oversized cards in their own submission. Since I am already doing two subs one with # grade and one without # grade it will just add difficulty to the sub adding a 3rd submission.
  • Options
    Could everyone who is planning on participating please post an approximate total of how many cards you are planning on subbing if you haven’t done so already. At a quick glance I am a little nervous that we won’t be able to hit the 750 or even the 500 card minimum.
  • Options
    In for 5 thanks!

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    It's been a week, and I barely see 500. Dig deep, as we might not see a price like this again
  • Options
    I just updated my total to a firm 65, I hope we can meet the minimum order.
  • Options
    There are some big players who have not posted their number. I think we'll get there.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If there's trouble meeting the 750 minimum total quantity, any chance of later adding the ability to sub tall-boy sized items, possibly with an added charge if necessary (though hopefully at same rate image ) ? >>

As of right now I am not planning on subbing oversized/tallboys. The reason I don't want to do them is because PSA requires you to submit oversized cards in their own submission. Since I am already doing two subs one with # grade and one without # grade it will just add difficulty to the sub adding a 3rd submission. >>

If we can only do 2 subs, can we consider alternating? Ex:
    2014: Regular + Authentic
    2015: Regular + oversized/tallboy
    2016: Regular + Authentic
    2017: Regular + oversized/tallboy

That way we have a chance to get all the different flavors subbed via the group submissions? I for one have more items to sub under oversized vs authentic. It sounds like I may not be the only one?
  • Options

<< <i>Trying to figure out how many I have. Anyone know how to determine if PSA will slab a certain issue or not? My current method is to search ebay for other items in the series....If an issue not currently slabbed, how do I get the issue added to their list? >>

I sub items from sets that hadn't been graded prior to my sub all the time. I've probably had a few hundred cards be the first graded from their respective set now. (not DNA subs, but it shouldn't make a difference) Since the electronic sub form came into play, I've had an incredibly easier time with getting them graded instead of N9'd. Each line item on the sub form allows for a note to be typed in specific to that item. On these lines, I paste in URL's for websites with set info, scans and checklists. If you have to resort to google images or ebay, you won't have as much luck as you will with other links. But if you are able to find a good link with solid info, you are usually good to go.

• Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    20-25
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    JudgeItoJudgeIto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Is this submission for sure a go, or are we waiting to see if there are enough cards?
  • Options
    My final number is 7. Mailing it Monday.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mail until John says this is a go. My suspicion is that we're short.

For the record, my number was 130
  • Options
    In the original post John said he would be away on business until 22 February. My count from this thread has it around 375 plus Vito's 130 would put it right around 500. I would expect more guidance from John in the next few days.