Home Metal Detecting
Options

UGH, Flaking Coppers! I hope this works on the 1787 Mass Cent!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Went to check out a few coppers found in 2014 and felt sick when I saw they were flaking! Maybe when I first cleaned them with mineral oil, it initially masked the problem. Who knows, but needless to say it's not too exciting to see that. I searched around on what can be done to prevent further damage. One product mentioned was Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish. It seems to be a very gentle wax that goes on clear and create an airtight seal. Checked out a Youtube Video of someone applying it. Can be seen here.. Just picked up a can of it on eBay, and it should arrive within the next few days. I will report back on how it works. Will practice on other coins first, of course.

Obverse. The head area just looks to be dirt that wasn't initially removed. Not concerned with that

Reverse, can see flaking at bottom

Anyone else use this product, or any other products to help preserve items? Had also heard that maybe Vaseline petroleum jelly, floor wax (paste?), paraffin wax...

Any other input or thoughts are welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, please keep us
    posted !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough to judge without actually seeing the coin... however, as a suggestion, I would try an agitated acetone, then alcohol bath.... a soak of about a week in olive oil, rinse in alcohol and hot water. Never tried that preservative, but sounds interesting... experimentation with other coins is a good idea. Let us know what you find... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that's flaking and not just corrosion coming off? I soak coppers in olive oil for months and periodically rub away the corrosion.

I have heard of Renaissance Wax, but, have never used it. I doubt that it should be used on a dirty coin.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used Renaissance Wax for a little while. It's not bad. Has rather a strong smell, like Brasso.

You found a Massachusetts cent! WOW!!! I've been away too long, and should read up on your exploits!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you sure that's flaking and not just corrosion coming off? I soak coppers in olive oil for months and periodically rub away the corrosion.

I have heard of Renaissance Wax, but, have never used it. I doubt that it should be used on a dirty coin. >>

Unfortunately, whatever it is, isn't good. I checked out a late-date large cent found in 2014 too, and the area that has come off has removed that nice, darker coloring, and left it with that lighter, spongy look-of-death metal beneath. If whatever metal is on there now comes off, the copper will be complete toast. Not of the extent of what can flake off. Surprisingly, the two KGII coppers seem to be relatively flake free.

<< <i>I have used Renaissance Wax for a little while. It's not bad. Has rather a strong smell, like Brasso.

You found a Massachusetts cent! WOW!!! I've been away too long, and should read up on your exploits! >>

Thanks LordM, glad to see you back! Found a few goodies this year. If you're bored I can send some links over to you! You're right about the smell - like oily Brasso kind of smell. Got it today so I'm going to play around with it.

<< <i>Tough to judge without actually seeing the coin... however, as a suggestion, I would try an agitated acetone, then alcohol bath.... a soak of about a week in olive oil, rinse in alcohol and hot water. Never tried that preservative, but sounds interesting... experimentation with other coins is a good idea. Let us know what you find... Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, I'm afraid of what else might come off if I try enhance the surfaces any more. I have a feeling any further tampering would have detrimental results. Here's a pic of a LC from 2014: