Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I don't think you'll find a prettier toned AU58 Trade $1 than my new 1878-S

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
Phil did a great job imaging this beauty.

The coin appears to be proof like in hand and exhibits lovely cartwheel, it can't be captured in a photograph.

Double sided iridescence and deep dark golden fields make this a fantastic Trade $1.

There are several pretty toned Trade $1's in CoinFacts, but when I compare my 1878-S Trade $1 to the others.....well,

she really stands out!!

Post your stand out Trade $1 that you really cherish.

Note, put her in a Secure Plus holder.

Sellers pics, displays old holder...........

Comments

• Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Like it! Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are several pretty toned Trade $1's in CoinFacts, but when I compare my 1878-S CBH to the others.....well, >>

Err, is that a typo or am I missing another abbreviation there? CBH = Capped Bust Half to me.

As for the original post, it doesn't look bad but it's not really quite my... flavor. >>

Oooops, thank you Fade to Black....I'll fix that now.

I have the Trade $1 in my hand and a CBH on my desk.....it's tough getting up in years. image
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful Trade Dollar! I don't have anything even close in the color department.

But, I like this one a lot:

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of my eye appealing favorites from my Type Coin collection...

1876-S AU Trade Dollar
    imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Stuart, was that coin from eBay?....I think I may have bid on it.

Your coin is gorgeous.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it...And it is quite attractive. It is a wonderful coin.

Beauty has a subjective component...so I am not willing to push this beyond my own personal taste.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Stuart, was that coin from eBay?....I think I may have bid on it. -- Your coin is gorgeous. >>

Thanks GoldBully.image -- In reply to your above quoted question, I purchased the Trade Dollar posted earlier in the thread, this past October from a Heritage Auction.

The coin possesses satiny to semi-prooflike mint luster in the fields, with lightly contrasting frosty cameo devices.
    When the coin is rotated in light, the blue brown toning is beautifully illuminated by the reflected light that emanates through it. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic Trade Dollars posted in this thread! Beautiful!!

This is my XF40 ...

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..... sounds like a challenge. image

Your coin is pretty nice. I like this one too:

• Options
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these are nice looking.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one.
    I guess that any slab without prongs may be considered old these days.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS AU58 CAC

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've posted a few other favorites in the past, so here's a new one. The toning is unique, more like what you might find on a proof Trade Dollar. This makes sense, as I know that at least the reverse was struck using a proof die, and likely the obverse as well.

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    This one's got a small spatter of blue, and is the only T$ I own with any color other than silver and brown.

imageimage
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS AU58 CAC

image >>

I love it. I'm suspicious of the image color. But I'll bet it's a beauty.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS AU58 CAC

image >>

Lance. >>

I know that coin before it went to ankur, it's the darker in hand but pops with light type. I was personally surprised it ended up with a sticker seeing CACs aversion to darker coins, nice for what it is though.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having some better images taken of my Trade Dollar, but here is what I have so far;

1878-S T$1 DDR FS-801

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I like her.

Mike
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS AU58 CAC

image >>

Lance. >>

I know that coin before it went to ankur, it's the darker in hand but pops with light type. I was personally surprised it ended up with a sticker seeing CACs aversion to darker coins, nice for what it is though. >>

You must not remember the coin very well as it is not dark at all. The coin has luster which is full and booming in hand.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS AU 53
  • Options

<< <i>You must not remember the coin very well as it is not dark at all. The coin has luster which is full and booming in hand. >>

Don't sweat it Ankur, I don't think Crypto meant that as criticism. In fact, he was sort of defending the color, describing it as a coin that looks darker under normal lighting, then bright and colorful when put in the right light.

I should know, being the one who first submitted your nice coin to PCGS and paid for the Trueview image. This phenomenon isn't uncommon for toning on silver.
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice Trade $ in this thread. Its tough for me to capture the color on this one but here is mine
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous Trades everyone. I have one or two with attractive or interesting toning, but nothing to compare with this lot.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite T$. This coin is in a 55 holder, but I think it is at least MS-62. Pcgs must have lowered the grade because the toning hides a lot of the luster.

Edited to add: I like the OP's coin a lot. image

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the OP TruView, the coin looks better than AU58......but that could just be the photography..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Nice addition!!!image
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Superbe coin. image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So hard to find NICE AU+ trade dollars, like many of those posted on here. Mostly I see dipped out coins with
    distracting hairlines and dings.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Great coin. It looks like dawn is breaking behind the eagle. image
  • Options

<< <i>So hard to find NICE AU+ trade dollars, like many of those posted on here. Mostly I see dipped out coins with
    distracting hairlines and dings. >>

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this one is a deep rich red on the obverse, sounds kind of odd but but when in hand looks totally natural.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file