Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did the early US Mint use dies until they cracked apart?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
What was their standard for die replacement?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    I have seen some serious die cracks but not sure where the mint pulled them. I would think it would have to do with the production run and supply of dies to use.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think so, back in the day, up through the 19th century and before, it is not hard to find cracked dies coins let alone shattered die examples.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As production increased due to more die availability I think that quality control came to the
    forefront. If production and dies were sufficient old worn dies were shucked.

Rare to see huge problems after 1900.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably, less quality control back
    then !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the very early U.S. Mint, the decision as to whether or not to continue using a cracked die may have depended on whether or not there was a suitable replacement available in the die vault, or if the Engraver was still working on the next one.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to cost, I would think they used the dies as long as possible...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file