Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Grades First MS65 1812/1 Sm. 8 Capped Bust Half Dollar

A Pogue coin?

Just noticed the pedigree says Kaufman. Who's that?

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    bcdeluxebcdeluxe Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    What is going on with the reverse lettering?
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is going on with the reverse lettering? >>

Die wear
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    BHB,

This coin was a part of the Kaufman collection of high end bust halves that were sold to a collector in Sept, 2006(?) in total-about 42 coins, all NGC. Then in April 2009, the collection was sold by Heritage at Cincy Central States, This coin was graded NGC 66 and brought about 43,000.

Appears it finally crossed to PCGS as a 65.

Kaufman put together several series, many seated and barber halves, and more. He bought heavily at Eliasberg.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is going on with the reverse lettering? >>

As coin dies that are used without a collar wear, the lettering or stars near the edge wear and extend close to the rim. Wear like you see on this coin indicates that the dies used to strike it have seen considerable use but are still holding together.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Where ever it may be from/owns it now, it is a very pretty bust half none the less

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice CBH. Is it the small 8 variety?
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply gorgeous coin, but at some point, the pin scratch has to be a limiting factor for a gem coin.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Simply gorgeous coin, but at some point, the pin scratch has to be a limiting factor for a gem coin. >>

I was wondering why it is not labeled scratched myself.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Simply gorgeous coin, but at some point, the pin scratch has to be a limiting factor for a gem coin. >>

I was wondering why it is not labeled scratched myself. >>

The giant pics exaggerate it, IMO. Then again I've never seen the coin in hand so I can't speak to how distracting it really is.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice CBH. Is it the small 8 variety? >>

Yes. The large 8 is quite scarce. I'm not sure any MS examples exist. If one did it would surely be a six digit coin.

The pin scratch is irrelevant. I wonder if it could even be seen without a strong loupe and special lighting.
    Lance.
  • Options
    bcdeluxebcdeluxe Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty coin. And I learned something about die wear. Interesting and thanks.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how some of the coins that sold in that 09 CSNS Sale perform (or how the ones that have resold since have done). I seem to remember that sale being somewhat of a bloodbath with many things selling cheap.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this represents another of the Pogue coins coming out to play after these past six years. I assume that the Pogues bought great coins regardless of PCGS or NGC holders. This might be just such an example.

Phil Kaufman is one of the all time great collectors. His Capped Bust Half Dollar set was out of this world. It sold for 1.8M in 2007. See link below from Heritage press archives.

Heritage Sale of Kaufman Half Dollar Collection

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful piece, love the stretched out lettering. Is this considered broad struck?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin with interesting die wear effect....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    That's a pretty coin ............but, it is not a 65
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance,

I think the pin scratch is something to take into account. It may be looked over in favor of other aspects of the coin, but it is hardly irrelevant. I have no idea how it presents in hand or if it can be seen without a loupe. My only point is that you can't have a scratch running through the focal area of a easily graded series and ignore it. Technical is one part of the grading process....otherwise coins would only be graded on eye appeal.

I love the coin, but irrelevant is a bit of an oversimplification. If it DIDNT have the scratch...the coin would probably be sitting in a 66 holder...which by default makes it quite relevant. image

John
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets try that link to the Kaufman Capped Half Dollar set again, I see it didn't work in my last post.

Kaufman Lettered Edge Half Dollar Sale
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Bustie! I really like the color/tone.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    The coin looks like a stunner. The scratch likely factored into the grade.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I love the coin!

Sorry to say, but that the scratch blows it for me at any grade near what NGC says. Wish we could get PCGS to offer their grade estimate on coins like this one, before the official crossover? What would be wrong with such outstanding coins being graded by both NGC and PCGS, BEFORE they go on the auction block?
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That same scratch probably would have kept the coin at the MS64 level back in 1987-1989. You generally couldn't have a facial hairline/scratch on any portrait coin on grades 65 or higher. There was no allowance for eye appeal back then. At least, I never saw one that qualified. This is a monstrous looking 1812/1 despite the pin scratch.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file