Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

grading confusion

I'm having difficulty understanding grading criteria on occasional coins I've viewed on E-bay. The latest example being an 1894-O Morgan graded MS-63 by PCGS. It almost appears as if a hammer and chisel was used on both obverse & reverse. How does this coin rate an MS-63?

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please post images. Do not assume that slab grades are accurate when looking through ebay offerings. There are coins in fake slabs too, so check certification numbers before bidding. Even if an item looks real, it may be overgraded or just low end for a grade.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing to understand is that a "grade" of a coin is an opinion, it is often an educated or experienced one, but sometimes not, and opinions do differ, even among experts.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley is correct..... grades are opinions... among experts, one may find a general consensus, but even then, opinions of grades can vary by two, even three points. Until computer grading is perfected, this will continue. Computer grading will not account for 'eye appeal' - that is quality of tarnish or wear... just an accurate assessment of surface condition - when it becomes reality. This, like anything new (TPG's, FPG's, stars, plus signs) will initially be resisted/fought/disparaged, but eventually accepted and revered. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're viewing MS63 1894-0 Morgans on Ebay you should already be well versed in any grading variations....especially considering they run $5K+. If anything, this date is graded fairly strict at the MS63 and higher level.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Having looked at the coin on eBay (Thanks for the link Barndog) it is not a coin I would want if I were looking for an MS63 for that date. Not to mention that PCGS tends to be high retail and the seller is asking more than 300 more than price guide. Talk about a fishing trip by a seller on a 5K coin. The cheap listing costs often tend to have sellers troll for the unsuspecting.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The linked coin is certainly not one I would pay 63 money for.
  • Options

<< <i>this is the only PCGS 63 on ebay FWIW >>

Coin seems ok to me for a 63. If you want stickered and well struck be prepared to pay very strong money.

$300 over price guide is 5%. It would be no different if a seller were trying to get another $5 out of you on a $100 1881-s. If you want a 64 then spend $11,000. If you want to pay less than settle for a beat up 62 at $2300.
    This date almost never comes well struck so in this price range don't expect a coin of 1881-s quality. CAC has only stickered 8 coins in the 61/62 grades so you can forget about finding one of these cheap. And with only 19
    coins in 63 (approx 3-5% of the population) that's no picnic either. 66% more coins are available in the 64 grade than 61-63 combined (45 coins). A tough coin to find "all there" in 61-63 grades.

At auction, generic 63 coins have been fetching $3700-$4300. So on that basis, the coin might well be overpriced. One can always make an offer. In the raw coin days, you could sometimes pick these up as AU's due the strike.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Every coin, year, mint has slightly different strike, luster, eye appeal and other issues in line with an assigned grade. Would you rather have dipped out "white" coins or coins that look original with a few bag marks?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're viewing MS63 1894-0 Morgans on Ebay you should already be well versed in any grading variations....especially considering they run $5K+. If anything, this date is graded fairly strict at the MS63 and higher level. >>

Barndog link = someone screwed up on that one.

check the reverse. ouch.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin seem right to me. That is how weak strikes look.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you're viewing MS63 1894-0 Morgans on Ebay you should already be well versed in any grading variations....especially considering they run $5K+. If anything, this date is graded fairly strict at the MS63 and higher level. >>

Barndog link = someone screwed up on that one.
    check the reverse. ouch. >>

The reverse is the overall stronger side imo.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was calling that a scratch on the wing.

otherwise the obverse has far more fang marks ....

full disclosure -> Imma n00b

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file