Home U.S. Coin Forum

1855 half cent and 1865 2 cent Grade????

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the photos - the half cent looks somewhat grainy, the 2 center less so - I'm thinking these may be artifacts of the
    images to some extent.
    Assuming there's no environment or other actual surface damage on the half cent, looks to AU58.
    The two center is at least a 58, (not sure if I see slightly high point rub or not) and more likely a 63.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I'm not a grainy person so I would pass but I wish you good luck on your purchase.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1865 2-cent is probably MS62 BN or so. The scratch above United and the carbon fleck on the numeral 2 would hold it back. It could also be an AU58 to someone else. This is a common date that is readily available, so you could buy it at least a little below book prices for MS60. You can get a PCGS MS63 any day and not worry about grade, so you shouldn't have to pay MS63 money for this coin, IMHO.

The 1855 half cent looks questionable. Besides the surfaces, the bur on the rim near 9:00 on the obverse is cause for concern. These are common enough that you might wait for another example. Details are AU58.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I recognized the photo style and would suggest doing a search on the forum for that particular seller. I've never bought from them but others have.
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    "The scratch above United "

I thought I may be a die crack ? I agree thought, the OP would should try to find better examples that
    are redder and have more natural looking color.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55 for the half cent and AU58 for the two cent.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file