Home U.S. Coin Forum

Selling Cheap coins on the Bay - how do you do it?

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am talking about coins and currency under $20 - It would appear that the tracking they seem to require and ship costs would eat your lunch. Or do you just send them out without all that and just mail them hoping the buyer does not rip you or it gets damaged in one of their machines.
So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    lots can be your friend in such case
    to make it worth the effort on widgets
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $.99 Auctions. 4X7 Bubble mailer costs $.48 at Walmart. First class shipping is $.98 usually if coin is just in a 2X2. Charge $2.32 for shipping and handling. No insurance unless over $100. Never had a problem.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been selling a lot of sub $100 items into Canada lately and just self insure and hope it gets there.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your over paying for my bubble mailers. I have my cost down to $.25 from Sams Club. Also landed a huge box of 900 mailers from a wholesale office supply place for $.08 per 5X7 Mailer.

Shipping with Ebay its quite cheap for what you get. Also easier to track receipts come tax time.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top Rates Seller discount

Bubble mailers in bulk

Online postage

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you bother with a tracking number or just put "shipped" not spending money on that?
    No tracking number. Just marked as shipped. If you add tracking the postage goes up to around $5 if I remember correctly.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    You can get some #000 bubble mailers on eBay (as low as 14c in bulk) print labels on eBay for $1.93 with tracking.

So if you charge $2 S/H, eBay will take 20c so your net cost is 27c which is less than an envelope and stamp.

Of course eBay and PayPal will get their cut of 13% of the total
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying cheap coins and selling cheap coins has kept me cheap for years. image

<< <i>You can get some #000 bubble mailers on eBay (as low as 14c in bulk) print labels on eBay for $1.93 with tracking.

So if you charge $2 S/H, eBay will take 20c so your net cost is 27c which is less than an envelope and stamp.

Of course eBay and PayPal will get their cut of 13% of the total >>

Do you weigh each package with a postal scale?
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>You can get some #000 bubble mailers on eBay (as low as 14c in bulk) print labels on eBay for $1.93 with tracking.

Of course eBay and PayPal will get their cut of 13% of the total >>

Not really, if you are a TOP RATED SELLER, then you get a 20% discount on FVF.
    You do not want to ship without tracking or you will not be a TOP RATED SELLER.
    Buy your postage on eBay..it is discounted.
    Buy all postal supplys on-line and avoid buying anything at shipping stores and the post office.

I find anything under 10 to be a waste of time and avoid too many sales under 10, but selling $20 items is certainly viable and profitable.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I charge about $1 more than my cost on each package. That more than offsets the few claims that are made where I have to pay out of my own pocket.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the amount of items,
    maybe bundling could be an option
    for you !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Top Rates Seller discount

Bubble mailers in bulk

Online postage >>

Doesn't Top Rated Seller Discount require tracking which is $1.93 at the cheapest?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I charge about $1 more than my cost on each package. That more than offsets the few claims that are made where I have to pay out of my own pocket. >>

I think this is a pretty reasonable approach for everyone.
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$.99 Auctions. 4X7 Bubble mailer costs $.48 at Walmart. First class shipping is $.98 usually if coin is just in a 2X2. Charge $2.32 for shipping and handling. No insurance unless over $100. Never had a problem. >>

You're lucky !
    Any post office I hit around here calls a bubble mailer a package, not an envelope. The resulting postage then being 2.32 for 1 to 3 ounces.....
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    300 #000 @ $0.11 here with free ship. http://www.royalmailers.com/Bubble-Mailers.html
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

• << <i>

<< <i>$.99 Auctions. 4X7 Bubble mailer costs $.48 at Walmart. First class shipping is $.98 usually if coin is just in a 2X2. Charge $2.32 for shipping and handling. No insurance unless over $100. Never had a problem. >>

You're lucky !
    Any post office I hit around here calls a bubble mailer a package, not an envelope. The resulting postage then being 2.32 for 1 to 3 ounces..... >>

That's true, the limit on a regular envelope is 1/4" thick, which a bubble mailer exceeds. A large envelope can be 3/4", but I believe that would still be more than $.98
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    I have sold hundreds of sub 50 buck coins on eBay. In my case it was selling accumulated extras or small collections I had purchased to get some coins I want for my core sets.

I had great results with fixed listings with immediate pay required. I suggest you sell with shipping included and self insure as loss is rare. If you have one loss out of a hundred in
    that price realm your making money comparing to insurance cost. One in a hundred would be very high loss ratio as well. I had zero losses in more then 500 similar coin shipments.

Use tracking / delivery confirmation its for your protection. If a buyer says they did not get a non tracked item you just gave them a gift basically. You get to refund and get a defect you loose the item and the sale amount and shipping fees. The ebay shipping is easy and simple and build the cost into your item.

14 % for listing fees and pay pal , bubble mailer 20 cents , shipping cost about 2 bucks for 2 oz.

If you go with auctions be careful on low end material that's were the most problem bidders lurk and the dead beats are in abundance.

after fees and expected profit you may find the BST is another way of selling low end material I have purchased many lots there.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>after fees and expected profit you may find the BST is another way of selling low end material I have purchased many lots there. >>

I used to like the monthly Bargain Bin thread that would be posted on the BST but it looks like that doesn't happen anymore.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipping with no tracking is thing of the past and a open invitation to a item not received claim on eBay.
    BTW shipping cost & supplies can be deducted from sale for tax purposes.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your over paying for my bubble mailers. I have my cost down to $.25 from Sams Club. Also landed a huge box of 900 mailers from a wholesale office supply place for $.08 per 5X7 Mailer. >>

Yep, I've bought lots of 500 before for less than a dime (8 cents seems about right) each with free shipping on eBay.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can certainly sell inexpensive coins on ebay and still make a profit.

It takes a lot of hard work including great photography.

Large wholesale lots are nice, but don't overlook single overlooked coins.

You make money in coin collecting when buy the coin, not when you sell the coin.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image If you buy right you can sell and make a profit anywhere. I buy $5k to $8k of what I call stuff but it's just stuff I don't need for my collaction and it sells for $15k+ on the bay every month so I must being doing something right...

Hoard the keys.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>after fees and expected profit you may find the BST is another way of selling low end material I have purchased many lots there. >>

I used to like the monthly Bargain Bin thread that would be posted on the BST but it looks like that doesn't happen anymore. >>

I was an avid looker and often a buyer of the Bargain Bin. Maybe one of the old dogs here want to start it up again.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    As others have said, buy bulk mailers (500 for $48.95 = 9.7¢ each), be a Top Rated Seller, and print labels from Ebay.

Up to 3 oz. is $1.93 postage fee. I usually don't sell anything that will weigh over 3oz, but if the seller wins multiple items it's good because I don't have to print more labels costing me more. If I do sell heavy stuff I'll figure in the shipping into the price or charge the rate of the Priority Mail label.

If an item is <$20 BIN, I usually charge 99¢ shipping depending on how much I have in it. Most of the time I do Free Shipping for everything. Just add in the cost of shipping to your BIN price, or close to it. If I start an item I know is gonna be a <$20 item in a true auction I'll do 99¢ shipping to help with the cost and try to play the psych of the buyers mind thinking "it's just 99¢ shipping".

The #1 trick to selling low value items is to buy them as cheap as you can to begin with.

Selling 100- $20 items makes the same profit as selling 20- $100 items. You have to work a little more but you tend to have more buyers at the lower levels.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you who have made this business model work...kudos. But it seems that in your calculations of cost, you are forgetting the most important component- your time. Photographing, listing, packing, transport, etc. all have value as well and for sub-$20 items it just isn't worth it imo. Plus invariably, cheaper items=cheaper buyers=more hassles problems for little to no gain.
    That's why years ago we decided that unless the item or lot is expected to bring at least $20-$30, it doesn't get listed.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never know what is worth big $$$ my friend listed a bobble head that he bought for $25 or $50 and the dam thing sold for $12,500 we both could not believe it.

Hoard the keys.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing this on a separate account now. I have a regular top rated account and I have another account that I buy on and also sell cheaper items. On the second account I will list coins with 1 cent start and ship with a stamp . If the item goes over $15 I will use tracking .

Top rated doesn't help much if you are shipping with stamps , whatever you save on fees you waste spending $1.93 on postage to mail a $5 or $10 coin.

Coins the size of half dollars or under can ship with a forever stamp. Overseas they cost only $1.15

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Selling Cheap coins on the Bay - how do you do it >>

As mentioned previously, I avoid lots that will sell for less than $20.
    To make it even worth your while, make sure your lots will sell for more than $20. (add coins)
    Get an eBay store and become a top rated seller. Once you do, your eBay fee is capped at 6% + eBay will kick back 20% of your final value fee. PayPal fee will be around 3%.
    000 plastic bubble mailers can be had for about 10 cents each, if you buy them in bulk.
    Mailing label (first class package rate)up to 3 oz with delivery confirmation, if the label is printed via eBay or PayPal, will cost $1.93 (each additional oz is about dime more)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I have seen a lot of cheap sources for plastic bubble mailers - U Line.

One thing I have been trying to find is a 1" thick by 5" wide by 10" long box like Apmex uses. They will ship me coins inside the Uline S-8060 5x10 bubble mailer (a case of 250 sells for $50 or 20c each) glued to the inside of the box above (I guess to keep people from removing the bubble mailer from the box during transit). I can't find this size box anywhere. I think its a great way to ship coins, especially slabs so USPS can't break them as easily. Also would be a good thing for banknotes to avoid them getting bent. Perhaps the note inside the box in an envelope with some bubble wrap to pack it in.

I do have an ebay store and 100% positive FB. I lost my top seller status bc I only sold 96 of the 100 required items even though I way exceeded their dollar limit and had perfect DSR's. I can't believe a human would have made this decision. I do have a buyer account so perhaps should start selling there. Then some woman gave me a neutral feedback stating ebay instructed her to not give positive for non top sellers, a completely false statement unless the rep was lying to me. Irregardless, I have not even been able to get it removed after spending over an hour on the phone with a rep who had to check on this (like try to call that person) and that then finally a bunch of long winded talk it would be removed and it did not happen (hope you don't have to go into combat with this guy - he can't even make a decision when the answer is right there in front of him). I will try again soon when I feel like tying up my time with that nonsense.

I have a 100 pc stack of Zambia banknotes that catalog for $8.00 which I have 26c in each. Maybe ok for shows, I just have not spent the time to try to list and ship these. If I could get even half of CV would be doing great. I had bought these at a show from a major bullion dealer who was selling 100 pc Gem CU stacks of modern world banknotes. As I bought a few different ones, I am set for life on world currency - u don't have to way overpay to be the end user!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file