Home Precious Metals
Options

Would you invest in a stock or mutual fund that performed like PMs?

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
At 61 I still have 'stuff' in the higher growth, riskier, wider swing items. However If I looked at the pm charts
as a stock or a mutual fund, I'd dismiss it and look for more steady growth. That's where I'm at because I don't check
the markets that regularly. I want to, but I don't, so that's the way I roll. I have friends that believe in zero risk
and are money market kinda folks. Some have made out over the long haul compared to some more risk'ier friends.

But with PMs, still a 10% part of me and growing, I feel like I need to be buckled in a 4 way racing car harness with side
straps holding my head from slamming into something.
COA

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you invest in a stock or mutual fund that performed like PMs? >>

Probably not.
    I'm not much for risk overall. The PM's I hold are my riskier assets.
    That said it also depends on where you are in life.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miners ETFs (GDX or GDXJ) or PM ETF would be my choice over stocks. I definitely avoid mutual funds. ETFs are similar to the funds but trade easily on the exchanges just like stocks. I trade ETFs on-line with my Scottrade accounts.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold, unlike some stocks, will never be worth nothing.....someone said that sometime....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>. I have friends that believe in zero risk >>

That does not exist. At least in this life. Folks that have held cash for 7 years have taken a beating.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe stocks and mutual funds is investing, and precious (like currency) is speculating.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy my physical PMs as traditional investments, and compare "performance" with asset categories like stocks, mutual funds, or income real estate, because they do not generate returns except for eventual capaital gains/losses (which I may never realize, if I end up dying with the stuff). I consider the PM portion of assets to be an offsetting hedge, inflation/shtf insurance, and bugout/bribe goods to help get from a disaster area and help start again somewhere else. Plus, in the meantime, it's a collection of totem/fetish items that are fun to heft and play with and look at. Some of the older ones even have historical significance that I and perhaps the future owners will appreciate.

So would I invest in a stock or mutual fund that performed like PMs? Maybe, if it looked like this

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have friends that believe in zero risk and are money market kinda folks.

It's a misconception on their part.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little of this and a little of that is good I think...
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe stocks and mutual funds is investing, and precious (like currency) is speculating. >>

It is all speculation. Especially with the central bankers acting as drunken brigands.