Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Let's talk about plastic......(sort of)

I purchased this for inventory the other day but I'm so intrigued with it that I don't know if I want to sell it (oh oh).

You don't see these in high-grade all that often. NGC AU-55, but it looks better than that to me, but of course I'm not an expert on grading plastic.

Keeling-Cocos Islands 1913 Token Issue, 25 Cents KM#Tn3 NGC AU-55

Often listed as being made out of ivory, these were actually produced in ivorine, a plastic that imitates ivory but is perhaps more closely related to Bakelite. Part of a series that actually did circulate on the Keeling-Cocos Islands (located midway between Australia and Sri Lanka) for quite some time.

Mintage of 5,000 pieces, all individually numbered on the back.

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting & Thanx fer sharing

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis,

I have no idea regarding its price, but if you can afford to hold onto it then I think you should consider doing that. Novelty items like this will have their moment in the sun, however brief that may be. At that point, you may consider selling it at your asking level. Until then, just enjoy owning it and that is that.

BTW, is ivorine the same material that we see made into ivory-looking chopsticks?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the Keeling-Cocos Islands now belong to Australia, these pieces are very popular with Australian collectors. And a very Topical coin to post, this being Australia Day (26th January).

<< <i>You don't see these in high-grade all that often. NGC AU-55, but it looks better than that to me, but of course I'm not an expert on grading plastic. >>

I'm not entirely sure how the TPGs grade these either, since plastic "wears" differently to metal. I would assume the grade depends on how much paint is missing from the imprint, and on chips, staining and discolouration of the plastic. In other words, the grading method would be closer to that of a banknote than a coin.

<< <i>BTW, is ivorine the same material that we see made into ivory-looking chopsticks? >>

Ivorine is a form of celluloid, or cellulose-camphor copolymer. The Wikipedia article mentions it's use, under the trade name "ivorine", as an early ivory substitute. And, as the article says, it's the same stuff they still make ping pong balls out of today. I don't know about modern chopsticks; fresh ivorine would have that camphor smell which I imagine would be a bit off-putting for food utensils.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    If sapyx says that they are super popular with Australians and you are tempted, you should probably try that specific market. Otherwise, I'd keep it, as suggested by EVP. You compared it with Bakelite and even black Siemens phones made of Bakelite are popular with collectors, despite the fact that they were common copies of their previous all metal black phones, of which I have one in full working order on my kitchen wall. When it rings, it wakes up the entire block and there's no way of turning the sound down, but pride of ownership , great design and manufacture make it incredibly difficult for me to part with it. Off topic, but I've always wanted to say it. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know what you guys are saying about keeping it. But trust me, if I wanted to keep every coin I like I would have a very large collection and very little inventory.

Once in awhile I throw something in a box to keep but sooner or later I generally end up selling it; which I'm perfectly fine with. There are really only two things that I have a permanent collection of, coins from my home province in the Netherlands (Gelderland) and Dutch Proof Coinage from the 1950s and the 1960s. The Gelderland coins I will never sell (unless I bought it with resale in mind, which rarely happens) but even the Dutch Proof coins will go some day, which could be a year, a decade or half a century from now. I see those more as a savings account for the business than a real collection.

Dennis
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing those before-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.