Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP Ernie Banks

Just heard on the radio Mr Cub passed away. Great guy to the fans!
Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
Unique Chicago Cards
Wrestling Cards

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    RIP Mr. Banks. What a great ballplayer!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Man if this is true this is so sad. I loved Mr Banks RIP
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLB, humanity in general, just lost one of it's finer gentleman.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    R.I.P. Mr Cub. In honor of "Let's play two!!"

imageIn honor of "Let's play two!"In honor of "Let's play two!"
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Sad day indeed.
  • Options
    RIP Ernie Banks... may we continue to celebrate for years to come your incredible career and the impact on the game of baseball.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    this is a tough one..
    Ernie predicted my wife would give birth on opening day 2000.
    She was in line for his autograph at the Cubs convention ( she won the spot in a raffle)
    He saw he and said let that girl through, signed her ball and predicted the birth of our son

which came true..

Rest in peace.
    strength to the family
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Always my favorite Cub. Ever. God bless you Mr. Banks.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sad day. I only met him once, and it was a great experience, seemed like a very genuine and good person. Lost a great one.
    Steve
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Mr Cub.
    James

Ernie Banks
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    God Bless You, Mr. Cub.
    My sympathies to the Banks and Chicago Cubs family.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Love Ernie banks.....very underrated in the hobby. Sad dayimage
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball has lost a great one !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    God bless his family
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    A sad day indeed. His 1958 and '59 seasons were remarkable, especially as a shortstop! Not to mention his 1955. R.I.P. Ernie
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

If you're a baseball fan, how could you not love Ernie Banks.
    He played the game the way it should be played.

Leo Durocher once said that Ernie Banks was the exception
    to his "nice guys finish last" comment.

Rest in peace, Ernie.

John

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    R.I.P. Mr. Banks
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Damn...
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Just a great person. RIP Mr. Cub.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP. We have lost a delightful gentleman.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if ever a man can be defined by the substance of his character, it is Ernie Banks. we all have lost a wonderful friend.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    A true gentleman on and off the field, Mr Banks will always be my hero....

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the nicest people I have ever had the the pleasure of meeting. Met him two years ago at the National while getting an autograph for my son who was 8 at the time. My wife, son, and I were close to the last ones in line to meet him, and he was so nice and gracious to all of us. He told my son to come around the table and shook his hand and asked him about school and baseball. Took photos with him, signed his ball, and then proceeded to talk to is for another 2-3 minutes. For all of the bad things you hear about athletes he was the exact opposite. We were looking forward to seeing him again this summer in Chicago. May you rest in peace Mr Cub. Let's play two!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    As great a player Banks was, he was probably known more for his personality off the field. Here is a ticket stub from the game when Cal Ripken Jr. passed him for most career Home Runs as a short stop (a record he still holds to this day):

RIP Ernie

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the honor of meeting EB a number of years ago as a youth. Echoing what has been said up above, he was one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet.

When I caught the news late last night, it felt like I had been sucker-punched. This one really hurts.

Rest well, Mr. Cub.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I never met him. He was my dad's favorite ball player, and I remember him telling me about EB's quick wrists and bat speed. RIP, Ernie.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Sad news in deed. Great person great player

RIP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    Traditionally St. Peter is the one at the pearly gates greeting all the newbies into heaven...I bet just for Mr. Banks he'll be greeted by TWO major saints! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I would imagine Ronnie and Ernie are playing some catch today in Heaven.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the nicest, fan friendliest athletes have bad days but I never heard one bad experience of fan interactions with Ernie.

RIP Mr. Cub
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    What does "Lets play two" mean?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What does "Lets play two" mean? >>

It means he was quite popular with the ladies image Actually, that he was always ready for a doubleheader. He loved the game so much, one game just wasn't enough.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Wow...terrible news.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What does "Lets play two" mean? >>

It means he was quite popular with the ladies image Actually, that he was always ready for a doubleheader. He loved the game so much, one game just wasn't enough. >>

If some around here remember, M.L.B. used to actually "Schedule" Doubleheaders before the season started. Not sure when the practice of not scheduling double dips got away from baseball, but back in the day I went to a couple Reds vs. Cubs DH's before the lights were installed on 8/8/88. They would schedule the first game at something like 11:30am just to get both games in before dark. Man-o-man those were the days.

Back to our beloved friend Mr. Ernie Banks. It isn't to often when I hear that a famous person ie: Celebrity, Polotician, Movie Star, etc... would pass and I would say that is was to bad that they were a nice person, and we will miss them etc., but I have to say that baseball has really been hit with a left hook and a rt. cross when in the last year or so we have lost BASEBALL LEGENDS such as Stan "The Man" Musial & Ernie "Mr. Cub" Banks. I'm a grown Man and when I think of the fact that these 2 Men are not with us anymore it is gut wrenching, and is enough to make a grown Man cry. What these 2 Men have meant to baseball and will continue to mean is beyond words and is quite indescribable. There will never be another 2 Guys quite like them to ever play the game we love again. May they both rest in peace.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Ernie Banks was the first autograph I ever got. A new golf course opened in my hometown in 1974. Ernie Banks and Arnold Palmer were there for a little fanfare on opening day. I showed up with a beat up 1958 Topps card for him to sign. He was a true gentleman and asked me how an 8 year old kid came to have such an old card. He signed it graciously and a still have it today.
    Arnold Palmer was standing right there and asked if I would like him to sign anything. I said "no thank you". - The look on his face was priceless.image

Sad day indeed."no thank you"
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Better late than never!

My personal encounter with Ernie Banks. Better late than never. It must have been 1983, a family friend took me to see Ernie Banks who I believe was in town for a John Deere function. There was a buffet dinner at banquet hall and at the ripe age of 11 I was lets just say "husky". Everyone went through the buffet, Ernie was at the front table as the guest of honor. I needed some seconds as the first round didn't fill me up. As I went to get seconds from the buffet I passed Mr. Cubs table. He waved me over. What could this hall of famer want to relay to a 11 years old boy? Show me how to execute the perfect bunt? How to properly field a ball? How to go deep? I never forgot what he said and It wasn't until years later I figured out how funny it actually was. He waved me over and said "Boy you go get some beans and cabbage now, beans and cabbage". I can still picture that night like it was yesterday. RIP Mr. Cub

I'm first on the left. The single picture of Ernie has an auto on the back.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Ernie's caretaker may have pulled a fast one, making him reassign his entire estate to her instead of his family: Estate Dispute (CNN)