Home Sports Talk
Options

Open question to CU Sportstalk

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he was shocked when he learned of allegations the team used overly deflated footballs in Sunday's AFC Championship Game. "I had no knowledge whatsoever of the situation until Monday morning," he said at a jam-packed news conference. "I had no knowledge of the various steps involved in the game balls and the process that went through, that happened when they were prepared and went to the officials and into the game, so I've learned a lot about that." ESPN reported 11 of 12 game balls the Patriots used on offense were found at halftime to be overly deflated after being deemed legal before the game. The NFL is investigating and is expected to announce its finding soon. "I have no explanation for what happened and that's what they're looking at, so I can't comment on what they're doing," Belichick said. Later he added: "It's unfortunate this is a story coming off two great playoff victories by our football team." While Belichick said he had nothing to do with preparing the game balls, he offered a possible explanation for how the Patriots' footballs got underinflated. Game balls must be within 12.5-13.5 pounds per square inch of pressure. Belichick said the Patriots inflate their footballs to 12.5 pounds per square inch of pressure, so "any deflation would take us under the specification limit." "Knowing that now, in the future, we will certianly inflate the footballs above that low level to account for any possible change during the game," he continued. "So as an example, if a ball deflated from 13.2 to 12.9 it wouldn't matter, but from 12.5 to 12.3 it would. "We will take steps in the future to make sure we don't put ourselves in that type of potential situation again." Some quarterbacks prefer a less-inflated football, finding it easier to throw and catch. In fact, Pats quarterback Tom Brady said in 2011 he prefers deflated footballs.

So if Belichek is being honest here...And the organization had no idea about this except Tom Brady do you guys still want the Patriots as a team crucified even though many other QB's have altered the footballs in the past?

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So if Belichek is being honest here...And the organization had no idea about this except Tom Brady do you guys still want the Patriots as a team crucified even though many other QB's have altered the footballs in the past? >>

No team crucification.......just a one game suspension for Brady. image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ya gotta love Brady as a humble, honest and ultra competitive guy who never fails to come up with the right comment.

he claims to encourage guys like Gronkowski to spike the living sh!t outta the ball when they score, so the air comes out of it. great stuff. image
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Perkdog, this thread and your comments in others speak to a point I made earlier. This incident is an embarrassment to Patriots fans like you who are put in an untenable position. You have been denied the pleasure of basking in your teams lopsided victory, not because of the various reactions to the Patriots' misdeeds, but because of the mideeds themselves.

I have no doubt that you believe the Patriots would have beaten the Colts--at least on that particular Sunday--no matter what. I believe that, too. Sadly, more than one person in the Patriots organization didn't believe it. Your team let you down.

The organization doesn't deserve crucifixion, but they deserve to be punished to whatever extent League rules allow.

Brett
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what the extent of League rules stipulate, although Goodell rarely follows them (at least this year):

(From ESPN.com)

What will the NFL investigate?

Even after finding the weight discrepancy, the league will have to find proof of an intentional act to deflate balls used in the game. Its game operations manual states in part: "Once the balls have left the locker room, no one, including players, equipment managers, ball boys, and coaches, is allowed to alter the footballs in any way."

If found guilty, how will the league punish the Patriots?

Again, from the game manual: "If any individual alters the footballs, or if a non-approved ball is used in the game, the person responsible and, if appropriate, the head coach or other club personnel will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $25,000."

So, it should be less than they fined Joe Horn for pulling out a cell phone after a touchdown.... with "But not limited to" being the key phrase and variable.

I am interested in seeing if the refs actually weighed the balls pregame, in accordance with the rules. If the Pats tried to slip some slightly softer balls by them, and it worked (Like Aaron Rodgers admitted to Phil Simms that the he tries to do with overinflation) I think that is different than tampering with them after the weigh-in. More gamesmanship than cheating. But if they intentionally waited until after the ball-check, then surreptitiously let air out, it would illustrate that they are circumventing rules rather than pushing the boundaries of them.

That said, the Pats neither get, nor deserve much benefit of the doubt IMHO. And they have only themselves to blame for that.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>That said, the Pats neither get, nor deserve much benefit of the doubt IMHO. And they have only themselves to blame for that. >>

!
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Perkdog, this thread and your comments in others speak to a point I made earlier. This incident is an embarrassment to Patriots fans like you who are put in an untenable position. You have been denied the pleasure of basking in your teams lopsided victory, not because of the various reactions to the Patriots' misdeeds, but because of the mideeds themselves.

I have no doubt that you believe the Patriots would have beaten the Colts--at least on that particular Sunday--no matter what. I believe that, too. Sadly, more than one person in the Patriots organization didn't believe it. Your team let you down.

The organization doesn't deserve crucifixion, but they deserve to be punished to whatever extent League rules allow. >>

Wow, that's pretty well said, in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Again the question at hand is if Tom Brady did this ( Like many other QB's have ) on his own without anyone elses knowledge do you think the Pats should be punished or do you think Tom Brady should be punished unlike anyone else has ever been for the same thing.

Dont skip the question please, just answer it!
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Whoever is responsible should be punished, if that's Brady, then Brady should be punished.

When you add caveats like "Like many other QB's have," you are again making one of my earlier points, i.e. the "everyone does it" defense. I seriously doubt that every QB in the NFL doctors the footballs in a way that violates league rules. Even if they did, it doesn't justify the behavior. If one gets caught, one should be ready and willing to face the consequences, no matter how harsh or lenient they may be.

Your allegiance to your team is understandable, but there is no defending the violator(s) in this case. The NFL obviously takes the matter seriously or there would have been no point in investigating the allegations. Maybe they'll just get a slap on the wrist, and maybe that's all that is warranted.
    Brett
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
  • Options
    Many other QBs.....can we have this quantified?

Also, yes, Brady should be sat for Feb 1st, appeal only heard in the off season.
  • Options

<< <i>Many other QBs.....can we have this quantified?

Also, yes, Brady should be sat for Feb 1st, appeal only heard in the off season. >>

WOW

• Options
    Hey man, you asked! heh

And, I'm still waiting for the list of all the other QBs that manipulate the ball- we know Brad Johnson and I believe Leinart. Anyone else?
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe they'll just get a slap on the wrist, and maybe that's all that is warranted. >>

Some people wont be happy with a slap on the wrist if that is whats warranted, some people want the Pats to forfeit the Super Bowl over this because its not their team that committed the crime.

Ofcourse Im biased, ofcourse I think that the Pats have cheated in some shape or form, ofcourse I think that this is getting blown out of proportion.

"Deflategate" has a nice ring to it, Pats haters are all over this blindly talking crazy things like "Bench Brady" "Fire Belichek" "Forfeit the Super Bowl" "Asterik"

Enjoy this while it lasts, Im still rooting for the Pats to win and will feel good about it regardless of what the masses conjure up about this whole thing.
  • Options
    Perkdog:

What is the line on cheating? When would it rise to forfeiting a win and then the subsequent Super Bowl appearance?

Would it have been different if the Colts game was close or does a blowout trump the effect of any ill gained advantage?

• Options

<< <i>Perkdog:

What is the line on cheating? When would it rise to forfeiting a win and then the subsequent Super Bowl appearance?

Would it have been different if the Colts game was close or does a blowout trump the effect of any ill gained advantage? >>

Thank God its not up to you haters here to decide.

Other than that I have no idea image
  • Options

<< <i>Perkdog:

Would it have been different if the Colts game was close or does a blowout trump the effect of any ill gained advantage? >>

If the Pats lost would this be an issue?

If Joe Flacco was accused of this would it be an issue?

Every time you or anyone else goes 5 miles an hour over the speed limit do you deserve a speeding ticket?

• Options

<< <i>Thank God its not up to you haters here to decide. >>

Good grief, Perk, why the truculence? If I am a fan of any team, it is Detroit and I find Suh's play to be deplorable. I thought Dez Bryants catch to be legit and I greatly prefer Green Bay over Dallas.

Should the non homers not have a voice in controversial matters?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey man, you asked! heh

And, I'm still waiting for the list of all the other QBs that manipulate the ball- we know Brad Johnson and I believe Leinart. Anyone else? >>

I read it wrong, what I read was "Most every QB manipulates the ball to his liking" Sorry I misread it, should I be banned from CU? Should I be put on a timeout?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank God its not up to you haters here to decide. >>

Good grief, Perk, why the truculence? If I am a fan of any team, it is Detroit and I find Suh's play to be deplorable. I thought Dez Bryants catch to be legit and I greatly prefer Green Bay over Dallas.

Should the non homers not have a voice in controversial matters? >>

Sorry Mglick I got no idea what "truculence" means, however you keep asking me pretty much the same thing eveb dedicating a thread to it.

Again I think if Indy lost by a 2 points and missed a game winning FG and there was overwhelming evidence that the balls velocity was a major factor in that miss then yes forfeit the Super Bowl. Other than that slap on the wrist.
  • Options
    Oh, come on, Perk....
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Media hype. Non event. Gives old men and choir boys something to talk about.

The guys who played in the trenches seem to have little issue with this.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry Mglick I got no idea what "truculence" means, however you keep asking me pretty much the same thing eveb dedicating a thread to it. >>

Alrighty I will switch gears. How is the vacation in Hawaii?
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, come on, Perk.... >>

That's exactly how I feel about this whole subject
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a moment to imagine what the backlash is going to be like should New England win this game. I'm actually dying for them to emerge victorious for no other reason than to witness the superabundant beads of sweat on Goodell's mug as he's presenting the Lombardi.

Hasn't exactly been an unsullied season, and this would be la guinda del pastel. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most hilarious part of that passage is the part where Belichick claims to have no knowledge of the balls being deflated, LOL...If there was EVER a head coach who knows every little thing and detail of what is going on, it's Bill.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The most hilarious part of that passage is the part where Belichick claims to have no knowledge of the balls being deflated, LOL...If there was EVER a head coach who knows every little thing and detail of what is going on, it's Bill. >>

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I'll certainly agree 100% with the person that does!
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Hey everybody...lay off Tom Brady...because all the other quarterbacks do it....

LAME!!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All media is force feeding this to us like it's the biggest thing since the Black Sox.

They're destroying what could be many great stories about both teams leading up to the Super Bowl.

Maybe I don't understand the gravity of it all.

It's a story but come on, back it down a knotch.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    It's a rule.
    He got caught.
    There should be a penalty.
    Sitting him for a game? Seems a bit harsh to me which means, to me, all this talk is for nothing. $25k fine? Wow. Big deal.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    as long as they don't ban his wife from any event. ever.
  • Options

<< <i>as long as they don't ban his wife from any event. ever. >>

Because his wife is rather hot, you see
  • Options
    I still don't understand why everyone is taking the referees at their word that every football was checked with a pressure gauge prior to the game.

Former Ball Boy's Story
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
  • Options
    Wonder what SB event will set off the next 100 post thread.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point.

Even if they did check them with more than a quick squeeze, this facebook video by some high school kids demonstrates that moving from 73 degrees to 51 degrees (never mind the 39 degree windchill) would knock a ball down from 13.5 psi right out of the "legal zone" and under 12.5 psi by itself. They use digital gauges, thermometers, etc.

Interesting stuff with all of the drama.

Edit: It is the video on top.... The kid doing the test looks like Gronk though... image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<All media is force feeding this to us like it's the biggest thing since the Black Sox.

They're destroying what could be many great stories about both teams leading up to the Super Bowl.

Maybe I don't understand the gravity of it all.

It's a story but come on, back it down a knotch.>>>

This is the world we live in now. Everyone throws stones from glass houses and can't wait to tear down those at the top. Just think back to this time last year, when Sherman was getting so much heat for a stupid post-game interview. Both situations are much ado about nothing.
  • Options
    dmatcdmatc Posts: 69 ✭✭

<< <i>...this facebook video by some high school kids demonstrates that moving from 73 degrees to 51 degrees (never mind the 39 degree windchill) would knock a ball down from 13.5 psi right out of the "legal zone" and under 12.5 psi by itself...... >>

I have to disagree here.

First of all the wind chill has no effect on inanimate objects like a football as well as just the fact that there
    is no wind inside a football.
    Second, unless Gillette Stadium has some bizarre weather patterns the Colts footballs should have been
    deflated as well. They weren't - Link ( Note the last sentence of the 5th paragraph.)

My 2 cents -

The footballs were deliberately deflated.
    Brady had to have known and approved.
    The fact that they would have won anyway is irrelevant. When they began using them the score was tied 0-0.
    It is extremely doubtful they decided to try this for the first time in the AFC Championship game.

They played many close games during the regular season. The question should be -

How legitimate was their 12-4 record, their #1 seed, their making the playoffs at all?
    Even a Super Bowl victory won't erase the cloud of suspicion over the Patriots.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Deadman's Registry Sets
  • Options
    We have grown men crying about this on national TV, I love the hate so much. If you are not already a Pats fan then I don't think you'll ever be one. #embracethehate

Say hello to the bad guy
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10