Home Precious Metals
Options

Here is what i think is the most intresting

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
4 weeks ago, I had plenty of gold and silver , couldn't give the sh1t away. I discounted and discounted, no takers. Ended up having to literally whole sale / and refinery out the 90%, bars. Especially larger gold. Had 4 1 oz bars that I had priced under spot, wouldn't sell. I noticed several forum members listing gold as well at what I would consider fair prices, only to have it languish

Now gold and silver take this big run, and wamo, everybody and their brother wants to buy now, I have had more people ask to buy silver and gold the past two days, than the past 5 months prior.
I even see several forum members wanting to take in gold and silver as trade against/for collector coins now.

Funny how this herd mentaility works.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they were waiting for an uptrend signal. I don't think it will hold in the short term.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup.....herd mentality at its best.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still a buyer !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will tuck some more away somewhere.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local coin shops had near nothing to offer with gold around $1170 and silver at $16.

I did my part and took advantage of ebay quadruple buck to load up on gold in December. I am glad I did.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4 weeks ago, I had plenty of gold and silver , couldn't give the sh1t away. I discounted and discounted, no takers. Ended up having to literally whole sale / and refinery out the 90%, bars. Especially larger gold. Had 4 1 oz bars that I had priced under spot, wouldn't sell. I noticed several forum members listing gold as well at what I would consider fair prices, only to have it languish

Now gold and silver take this big run, and wamo, everybody and their brother wants to buy now, I have had more people ask to buy silver and gold the past two days, than the past 5 months prior.
    I even see several forum members wanting to take in gold and silver as trade against/for collector coins now.

Funny how this herd mentaility works. >>

Thats why you buy when everyone wants to sell and when everyone wants to buy. Been that way for 1000s of years, yet most still havent figured it out.

What was that comment Gruber made?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    moo

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    That is so true and something else I have noticed is when gold and silver are going up it seems most people think its going to keep going up forever and vice versa.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... strange, but it happens every time.... no buyers low, clamoring when it goes up... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>4 weeks ago, I had plenty of gold and silver , couldn't give the sh1t away. I discounted and discounted, no takers. Ended up having to literally whole sale / and refinery out the 90%, bars. Especially larger gold. Had 4 1 oz bars that I had priced under spot, wouldn't sell. I noticed several forum members listing gold as well at what I would consider fair prices, only to have it languish

Has nothing to do with herd mentality, it is a matter of liquidity...
    And the fact that's your personal experience is a but a speck of sand in the Sahara desert ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Has nothing to do with herd mentality, it is a matter of liquidity...
    And the fact that's your personal experience is a but a speck of sand in the Sahara desert ... >>

Well, he was right in that fairly priced silver was hard to sell here.
  • Options
    Fairly priced silver is a matter of perspective , can mean a million different things to a million different people....
    But i would say on this forum that is the norm...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Fairly priced silver is a matter of perspective , can mean a million different things to a million different people....
    But i would say on this forum that is the norm... >>

Most of us here can't buy from the APs either because we aren't dealers or don't buy enough. I would consider fairly priced to be competitive with the Providents, JMBullions, etc. YMMV.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fear vs. Greed. It's pretty straightforward.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I notice this too. 2 weeks ago, a fellow responded to my CL buy ad asking if I had any to sell. I offered 4 rolls SAE at +$2.50/oz. No response. Yesterday he calls wanting to meet and buy. He couldn't believe I had sold them Friday, even offered to pay a bit more.
  • Options

<< <i>I notice this too. 2 weeks ago, a fellow responded to my CL buy ad asking if I had any to sell. I offered 4 rolls SAE at +$2.50/oz. No response. Yesterday he calls wanting to meet and buy. He couldn't believe I had sold them Friday, even offered to pay a bit more. >>

The couple times I tried listing on CL I either got no response or someone tries to lowball you like you're desperate.
  • Options
    Craigslist = desperation...

Interesting but never able to actually find out the percentage of stuff that actually sells on CL, and then sells at discount to CL list...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have sold cars and furniture on craigslist. It has replaced the newspaper classified ads for many shoppers and sellers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I notice this too. 2 weeks ago, a fellow responded to my CL buy ad asking if I had any to sell. I offered 4 rolls SAE at +$2.50/oz. No response. Yesterday he calls wanting to meet and buy. He couldn't believe I had sold them Friday, even offered to pay a bit more. >>

The couple times I tried listing on CL I either got no response or someone tries to lowball you like you're desperate. >>

I once offered ASEs for $0.75 over spot on CL (before I found this place) and it took me over a week to get rid of them. This was with silver at over $30. I have no luck with CL. Everyone wants to buy my stuff for under melt.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, CL is a TOTAL crapshoot for coins and metals but it does not cost me anything but a little time and once in a great while someone will offer me something worthwhile.