Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Off to Barcelona...any tips

While I have been to Barcelona before, it has never been with a day dedicated to numistmatics. Any recommendations on places or dealers to check out in the city? I will be there over a weenend as well with the hope of finding a Sunday coin market.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have never been there but I have read and heard it is a great city- have fun.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    drink lots Vino and eat lots.
    If I remember right, there are a few larger Numis companies.
    this one : Numismaticas Aureo & Calicó

am not sure if Ibercoin is in Barcelona.

Oh, did I forget to suggest about the Vino and sherries there, tapas....it does not end.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes, don't drink the water, stick to the wine. It's good and good for you.
  • I was recently in Madrid and Santiago de Compostela. I trekked the Camino de Santiago. I did look into several coin shops in the bigger cities: Pamplona, Burgos, and Madrid. On weekends you will find shops with uneven openings and closings. In Barcelona the old quarter known as the Barri Gotic (Gothic Quarter) is where you will likely find coin shops. They will likely only be open Saturday morning from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. If you have been to Barcelona before then you will know where Barcelona's oldest church Santa Maria del Pi is located. There you will find the quarter called Barri Gotic. Ask your hotel concierge if you need directions.

On Sundays you will find open markets. I found some great out of print book and antique map dealers in Madrid. How is your Spanish or should I say Catalan? The natives are rather particular about their language image John
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a Barcelona Groat...I picked it up from a guy in Barcelona, but not while I was in Barcelona unfortunately. I have no tips on anything numismatic there, and as you've been there perviously you probably already know what a great place it is image

imageimage
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely groat!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One tip. Have a nice meal at La Mary.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.