Home Precious Metals
Options

UPS driver arrested in theft of precious metals

UPS Driver Arrested In Theft Of Gold, Silver Bars
January 17, 2015

ANDERSON, Calif. (AP) — Officials say a driver with United Parcel Service has been arrested on suspicion of grand theft after several packages containing silver coins and silver and gold bars worth more than $200,000 went missing during the shipping process.

The Shasta County Sherriff’s Department says Kevin Peel was arrested Friday in the city of Anderson.

The department says Peel became a person of interest early in the investigation, which began in October when several packages containing precious metals went missing.

Authorities say sheriff’s detectives served a search warrant at Peel’s home days later and found cases of gold bars and silver coins matching the quantities reported stolen.

Deputies recovered gold and silver bars worth about $200,000 but say they had no evidence at the time the 40-year-old driver had stolen the precious metals.

He’s being held on $250,000 bail.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press.

Text

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good,

they need to do some, arresting , lots of stuff getting heisted
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plug in the chair !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Plug in the chair !!!

Or at least make an example out of him. He's going to get off though because they admit they have no evidence other than the same amount of being reported stolen was in his residence. A good attorney will make that laughable.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    I know a dealer who ships most all of his coins via ups, never had a problem in over 20 years. I heard that if usps employees are caught stealing they don't lose their benefits, while ups workers lose it all.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dummie could have made that kinda scratch with UPS, just working overtime during Christmas. image WTG , bro.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he is convicted...too much of this happens. I had a gold coin stolen in shipment - (package arrived empty, but obviously tampered with)USPS.... seller made good on the coin though... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    On a related note, never have been comfortable with the UPS guys leaving the trucks unlocked an unattended while making deliveries. USPS seems to have the security edge over the brown logistics guys.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    String him up and televise it.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>String him up and televise it. >>

+1
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>String him up and televise it. >>

+1 >>

Nah.....just make him work the Detroit route for a decade.
  • Options
    UPS dropped 10% today on a poor earnings forecast. Pretty much ate up the recent jump from low oil prices.

Christmas delivery service was very good though. Maybe shareholders have to take one for the greater good of the brand.

"""Turns out UPS (UPS) spent too much, and holiday shopping wasn't as hot. The company warned that its fourth quarter results will fall short. The news sent its shares tumbling 10% Friday morning.

"Though customers enjoyed high quality service, it came at a cost to UPS," said CEO David Abney, who called the company's financial performance "disappointing.""""
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a bum, to lose your job over a theft image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Wonder if they used that wall-penetrating radar to see the PM's in his home, first.