Home Precious Metals
Options

Just shorted Boeing at $133.06

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Seeing some nice market volatility around SP 2000 today.
  • Options
    MG I know you are a bear based on your posts. You think the SP is going down around 40-50% over the next 2 years...wouldn't it be a smart idea to just short the SP 500 then?
    Positive BST transactions with Timbuk3, coindeuce, charlottedude.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MG I know you are a bear based on your posts. You think the SP is going down around 40-50% over the next 2 years...wouldn't it be a smart idea to just short the SP 500 then? >>

For u hopsin, best not to hop in ever...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is mlicker on suicide watch. Just checking.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boeing $148 today.

More govt contracts. Free cheese for every defense contractor. We need a war by golly.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boeing $148 today.

More govt contracts. Free cheese for every defense contractor. We need a war by golly. >>

Still $148 today.....up 11%........oh my!!
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    on another note I want to take a new long position in TSLA. Thinking of taking a partial position before todays earnings ( or lack of earnings )announcement and the balance after just in case they surprise. Lots of bad news baked in. Regardless, I think this is a company you have to own for the next 10 years. The greedy person in me hopes the stock gets pummeled tonight so I can swoop in.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    You can buy at under $40 if it's not belly up ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is mlicker on suicide watch. Just checking. >>

It's not like him. He hasn't posted anywhere in a couple of days.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>You can buy at under $40 if it's not belly up ... >>

Yah, ok
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>on another note I want to take a new long position in TSLA. Thinking of taking a partial position before todays earnings ( or lack of earnings )announcement and the balance after just in case they surprise. Lots of bad news baked in. Regardless, I think this is a company you have to own for the next 10 years. The greedy person in me hopes the stock gets pummeled tonight so I can swoop in.

MJ >>

MJ. I don't think you got your wish....not exactly pummeled, it's only down a little bid over 3% in after hour trading.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>on another note I want to take a new long position in TSLA. Thinking of taking a partial position before todays earnings ( or lack of earnings )announcement and the balance after just in case they surprise. Lots of bad news baked in. Regardless, I think this is a company you have to own for the next 10 years. The greedy person in me hopes the stock gets pummeled tonight so I can swoop in.

MJ >>

MJ. I don't think you got your wish....not exactly pummeled, it's only down a little bid over 3% in after hour trading. >>

I've been listening and you are right. Will buy a partial position in the morning.

MJ

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short bad companies, not expensive stocks.

Buy good companies, not cheap stocks.

Thats about all you need to know.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TSLA - two words come to mind. Cash burn.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TSLA - two words come to mind. Cash burn. >>

Made $$ with it several times. Currently not in it.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>TSLA - two words come to mind. Cash burn. >>

Two words come to mind for me. Élan Musk.

People are standing on line to give him money.

TSLA is a technology company and the story is only beginning IMO.

MJ
  • Options
    Two words come to mind for me. Élan Musk.

People are standing on line to give him money.

TSLA is a technology company and the story is only beginning IMO.

I'm not saying that he's not a visionary. I kinda like him.

On the other hand, he's not generating profits the way Jobs or Gates did.

It's a tough call.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Profits are still a ways off, but this is not your average company, Tesla is ultimately a battery company, that's what will drive returns over the long haul.
    It could revolutionize the energy market, but that's no certainty, so there is a lot of risk still, but the stock isn't going to trade, just based on current fundamentals for a long time.

The decline in the stock price this morning is now around 8%, hmmm.
  • Options

<< <i>Profits are still a ways off, but this is not your average company, Tesla is ultimately a battery company, that's what will drive returns over the long haul.
    It could revolutionize the energy market, but that's no certainty, so there is a lot of risk still, but the stock isn't going to trade, just based on current fundamentals for a long time.

The decline in the stock price this morning is now around 8%, hmmm. >>

I don't follow the technology all that closely, but he'd be better off working on a way to use solar power to recharge his car battery/ies so that one wouldn't need to find a place to plug them in.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Profits are still a ways off, but this is not your average company, Tesla is ultimately a battery company, that's what will drive returns over the long haul.

I don't follow the technology all that closely, but he'd be better off working on a way to use solar power to recharge his car battery/ies so that one wouldn't need to find a place to plug them in. >>

There is a prototype carport in front of my office building with solar panels on the roof, and a new Tesla plugged into it. The car does come and go, so I assume that it works.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what "shorting" means. And so it sounds like gambling. I don't like that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't follow the technology all that closely, but he'd be better off working on a way to use solar power to recharge his car battery/ies so that one wouldn't need to find a place to plug them in. >>

There is a prototype carport in front of my office building with solar panels on the roof, and a new Tesla plugged into it. The car does come and go, so I assume that it works. >>

But you still have to stop and wait for it to recharge. I was thinking of solar panels on the car roof so that you could be constantly recharging as you are driving.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what "shorting" means. And so it sounds like gambling. I don't like that. >>

You are betting that the price of the stock will fall. Most investments are "like gambling" or gambles at which you either gain or loose. Shortening a stock is no different.
    The question is in the risk involved...the higher the risk, the greater potential of return or loosing your pj's.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know what "shorting" means. And so it sounds like gambling. I don't like that. >>

Shorting is when you borrow shares to sell from your broker with the expectation that you will be able to buy replacement shares at a lower price in the future. I've never done it, but IIRC there may or may not be a time limit by which you have to pony up. There's always the risk that you will end up buying more expensive shares to honor your deal.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Shorting is when you borrow shares to sell from your broker with the expectation that you will be able to buy replacement shares at a lower price in the future. I've never done it, but IIRC there may or may not be a time limit by which you have to pony up. There's always the risk that you will end up buying more expensive shares to honor your deal. >>

It can also be done more easily by buying and inverse ETF that is basically betting against the underlying asset. Shares trade just like any other equity.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

There is a prototype carport in front of my office building with solar panels on the roof, and a new Tesla plugged into it. The car does come and go, so I assume that it works. >>

But you still have to stop and wait for it to recharge. I was thinking of solar panels on the car roof so that you could be constantly recharging as you are driving. >>

One that extends into the sunroof opening would be cool. Could be used while driving or while parked.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    Yep. Remember when there were no cell phones, then how big and clunky the first ones were?

Imagine someday (we may live to see it if we eat right and get some exercise) there will be cars with the solar cells on the roof. Great when the sun is shining, however, there will still be charging stations, for when it's cloudy

• Options

<< <i>Yep. Remember when there were no cell phones, then how big and clunky the first ones were?

Imagine someday (we may live to see it if we eat right and get some exercise) there will be cars with the solar cells on the roof. Great when the sun is shining, however, there will still be charging stations, for when it's cloudy >>

Sounds like another reason people could decide to live in CS, AZ or FL. And not MI or NY.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Has anybody seen the solar panel roads, sidewalks, and parking lots? Cool concept, has a long way to go to make it in to a viable road structure.

Solar Roadways
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yep. Remember when there were no cell phones, then how big and clunky the first ones were?

Imagine someday (we may live to see it if we eat right and get some exercise) there will be cars with the solar cells on the roof. Great when the sun is shining, however, there will still be charging stations, for when it's cloudy >>

Sounds like another reason people could decide to live in CS, AZ or FL. And not MI or NY. >>

True but MI and NY is where the fresh water is. Especially Michigan. Spoken from a guy that lives in CA but has lived in both Michigan and NY. Pick your poison. Right now my poison is 80 degrees and sunnyimage

MJ
  • Options

That's why you'd have more than one battery so that you can recharge the low one while continuing to drive on the full one; sorta like why 18 wheelers have more than one fuel tank. If you can get sunburned on a cloudy day, you can probably run a solar cell on a cloudy day too.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Yep.. or like liquid propane tanks for bbqs and outdoor heaters.. switch the pattery pack with a charged one in less time than it takes to fill a gas tank... it's coming

• Options
    Pick your poison. Right now my poison is 80 degrees and sunny

Thats the poison I chose also. image

I do believe that the answer will be within the batteries and moving parts of the vehicles rather than little solar panels on a roof. Might even be wind turbine driven, such that the car is recharging while being driven. Instead of a radiator is a little windmill.

• Options
    imagine a solar array at that giant truckstop in Barstow, CA, for those who have driven east from SoCal, you know the one... all the gas stations will also have battery packs that charge in the desert...

• Options
    how about a mag lev rail line, again powered by solar arrays, running like spokes from the cities out to the boonies, where they're powered from., could carry a lot of stuff that's currently flown using fossil fuels, BA may actually be a good short... until they develop solar planes and spaceports someday.. or anti-grav..

• Options

<< <i>Yep.. or like liquid propane tanks for bbqs and outdoor heaters.. switch the pattery pack with a charged one in less time than it takes to fill a gas tank... it's coming >>

or you could trade in a low battery for a full one OR just flip a switch inside the car and presto change-o. Better to have sensors/monitors and have it done automatically. It's all coming.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>how about a mag lev rail line, again powered by solar arrays, running like spokes from the cities out to the boonies, where they're powered from., could carry a lot of stuff that's currently flown using fossil fuels, BA may actually be a good short... until they develop solar planes and spaceports someday.. or anti-grav.. >>

Sounds like you'd be leaving THAT short position to your heirs.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Imagine someday (we may live to see it if we eat right and get some exercise) there will be cars with the solar cells on the roof. Great when the sun is shining, however, there will still be charging stations, for when it's cloudy

There is an annual contest, a coast-to-coast race between competing engineering departments from several universities to see who can design and engineer the best solar-powered vehicle. Typically, they have problems on cloudy days. And nobody sets any speed records either. I think it's a recharging rate problem.

Solar panels and batteries wear out just like tires and engines. Photocells lose their photoreactivity over time & use. Also, the issue with batteries is going to be duration of the battery life, i.e. how often the batteries will need to be replaced. In addition, the infrastructure for the charging stations is a cost that has to be factored into the cost of the vehicles. Eventually, that infrastructure will also need maintenance and replacement. Nothing is ever free.

If you put a gun to my head and made me bet - I would bet that the fossil fuels won't run out before Elon Musk runs out of people who want to throw money at him.

Solar makes more sense for heating a structure than for powering a vehicle, in my opinion.

Where is Glicker, anyhow?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Imagine someday (we may live to see it if we eat right and get some exercise) there will be cars with the solar cells on the roof. Great when the sun is shining, however, there will still be charging stations, for when it's cloudy

There is an annual contest, a coast-to-coast race between competing engineering departments from several universities to see who can design and engineer the best solar-powered vehicle. Typically, they have problems on cloudy days. And nobody sets any speed records either. I think it's a recharging rate problem.

Solar panels and batteries wear out just like tires and engines. Photocells lose their photoreactivity over time & use. Also, the issue with batteries is going to be duration of the battery life, i.e. how often the batteries will need to be replaced. In addition, the infrastructure for the charging stations is a cost that has to be factored into the cost of the vehicles. Eventually, that infrastructure will also need maintenance and replacement. Nothing is ever free.

If you put a gun to my head and made me bet - I would bet that the fossil fuels won't run out before Elon Musk runs out of people who want to throw money at him.

Solar makes more sense for heating a structure than for powering a vehicle, in my opinion.

Where is Glicker, anyhow? >>

Iowa state University's entry is dubbed prISUm.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hydrogen fuel cells are also an option - PLUG power retrofits them on materiel handling equipment (and now airport tugs, etc) in place of batteries - only takes a few minutes to fully recharge instead of hours. VW just purchased $80M of info from Ballard Power (who makes the hardware for PLUG) for their vehicle research and development.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for answering my question earlier about "shorting a stock" .
    I have much studying to do with regards to the stock market and investing.

In addition and with regards to a question asked earlier, here is an update through my message box in EBAY, received today:

"Hey Twosides. A couple of the posters on the precious metals forum are looking for me. On Tuesday I tried to log in after a long weekend off and apparently got banned. All is well and if you could pass the message to a member or two on the PM forum it would be appreciated."

~MGlicker~
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you guys for answering my question earlier about "shorting a stock" .

In addition and with regards to a question asked earlier, here is an update through my message box in EBAY, received today:

"Hey Twosides. A couple of the posters on the precious metals forum are looking for me. On Tuesday I tried to log in after a long weekend off and apparently got banned. All is well and if you could pass the message to a member or two on the PM forum it would be appreciated."

~MGlicker~ >>

That sucks, I guess.image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you guys for answering my question earlier about "shorting a stock" .

~MGlicker~ >>

That sucks, I guess.image >>

Author of one to many non PM or Coin related threads? Ooops I'm posting in one now.image
  • Options
    Lol, that's crazy, banned for a lousy short trade...lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Lol, that's crazy, banned for a lousy short trade...lol >>

Should have used a stop. Tried to tell himimage

If he's banned I wish him well...............MJ
  • Options
    best of luck to mglicker... BA now $153

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah man, was wonderring how quick he was going to get to 10k. Would have been a record pace I bet.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah man, was wonderring how quick he was going to get to 10k. Would have been a record pace I bet. >>

I guess he got stopped out image
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Did anyone receive that nice dividend MGLICKER paid out? I don't own BA

You have to admit that was pretty giving of him ;