Home Metal Detecting
Options

Not detecting but a cool penny box search to share.

I went to my local bank and bought a box of pennies.

I pulled 32 wheats out of the box, including a 1955 poor man's DD. I also pulled six worthwhaile Canadians including a 1952 King George, a 1967 Centennial, and an almost new 1981.

Not a bad day.

Edit to add: the oldest Wheat was a 1930.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many are in a 'box'??? Nice finds anyway...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many are in a 'box'??? Nice finds anyway...Cheers, RickO >>

i think theres 20 rolls in a box. nice take on the wheats and stuff as well.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    A box/brick is $25 face value in 50 rolls.
    Sometimes they're mixed rolls but can also be solid rolls from the current year.
    Ed
  • Options
    That is a good quantity to search..... this winter I must search my gallon jars of wheat cents...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Roll searching is a good way to pass the time and costs pretty much nothing. That's a pretty good mix of finds! Do you keep the copper Lincolns too?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a good quantity to search..... this winter I must search my gallon jars of wheat cents...Cheers, RickO >>

start a gallon jar of wheats. did that with my grand dads whiskey bottle (burp) its full now. image
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    It takes me about an hour and a half to two hours to search all 50 rolls which isn't bad.

I don't save the other copper coins, just the wheats, misc foreign coins, and Canadians 1965 back (plus the Centennials).

I take a roll and spread the coins on a small table and check for wheat ears / maple leaves, or odd looking coins. If I see any '72's in there, I make sure they are not DD's. I dump the loose coins back into the box, take them into the bank and feed them into the coin machine.

I learned (almost the hard way) last year that it is possible to find nearly new wheats in circulation. I used to ignore the shiny coins and got a box with about a half dozen or more AU/BU wheats ranging from 1942 to 1957D. Here in the Northeast, there seems to still be a very good supply of wheats in circulation. Every second or third box has coins from the teens in it.
  • Options
    Dup.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It takes about an hour and a half to go through all 25 rolls >>

What kind of boxes are those with only 25 rolls?
    All boxes I've ever seen are 50 rolls $25 face.

In the past they came in $50 bags.
    Ed
  • Options
    My bad, $25 face, not rolls.
  • Options
    Today was too cold to work, so I stayed home. I went to the bank and got a box of nickels, here are my finds:

1983P struck 15% off center on the face.
    1943P war nickel

There was a 1939 and several 1940 to 1962 era nickels and mordern Canadians that I didn't save. I'll leave that up to someone else.

That war nickel is my second silver of the year. A month ago I got a '64D dime out of a Coinstar machine. Not a bad day at all !!
  • Options
    Very good search today: Box of pennies with two dimes in there. I pulled 24 wheats including a 1927, 1929, and 1936.

I also pulled 1957, 1960, 1967, and 1968 Canadians, along with a 1971 Canadian when I cased the non wheats in.

When I cashed in the non wheats at the bank, I also got a 1964 silver dime back, and also another wheat, a 1910.

Not bad, not bad at all.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! The poor man's '55 DDO is a really neat find, even if it isn't the "major" variety! image

PS- nice job with the nickels, too. That's usually where I've focused my bank roll searches. I've found quite a few War nickels over the years and a few minor errors like you mentioned, but I'm surprised you got one that was that much off-center. Did it make the coin slightly larger in diameter than the others?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The error coin strangely was the correct size, but there was clearly extra stock on one end, and partially missing letters in "In God we Trust" on the exact opposite end.

Forgot to add: I got a 1911 V nickel back in May. So far in the past two years, I have gotten six silver dimes out of circulation. That is more silver than I pulled in the previous twenty years !!

Perhaps a dime box search should go on the to do list :c)

There are tons and tons of 1940's and 50's era Jeffersons in circulation up where I live, but I never pull them unless they are silver. Oddly, my neighbor across the street is trying to put together a set of circulated Jeffersons. Looks like I will make one neighbor very happy :c)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always pulled the pre-1960 Jeffs, just for the heck of it. It's fun to keep a folder going, like your neighbor is doing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I gave up roll searching a year or two ago.... only searched halves...but had zero luck for several years. Might start again.... Nice finds. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I did another box of Lincolns. I almost missed a 1958 in AU/BU in there (I mistook it as a new coin).

Some nice early dates in this box, including: 1910, 1912 (in VF) !!, 1917, 1936, 1937. Strangely there were FOUR 1944's and two 1945's. Also 1940S and some random 1950's coins.
  • Options
    You are having really good luck with boxes of cents.... I get wheaties in change here... two or three a week... none are 'bright or shiny' though... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Another decent box of cents: 1919, 1938, 1945, 1946S, 1947, 1950, 1951D, 1952, 1952D, 1952S !!, 1953, 1953D, 1954, 1954S, 1956D, 1956D (in AU), 1957, 1957D, 1958.

1945 Canadian, 1953 Canadian, 1964 Canadian, 1970 Canadian. And a Bermuda and a Bahamas cent.