Home Precious Metals
Options

Continued gains for biotech?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody EVER went broke taking a profit, goodonya for stepping up to the plate!

<< <i>If you invest in Biotech overtime it's almost impossible to not have a train wreck eventually, it's critical to have more melt ups than melt downs.

Wish I got BLUE 12 months ago..

BLUE >>

Or this one

ADXS

Advaxis announces FDA clearance of investigational new drug application for phase 2 study of ADXS-HPV and Incyte's epacadostat for the treatment of HPV-associated early stage cervical cancer

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    ADXS, yeah... I guess up 250% is a pretty good return this year.

Noticed HALO had some continued positive news on PEGPH20...

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF we are in a bubble I got in in the 6th - 7th inning and made alot of money.

Im not so sure we are in a bubble and if there is a meaningful pullback I'm a buyer.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So far as biotech goes….the ETF IBB has been good to me over the last year. >>

Up another 20% so far this year since this thread began!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

Advaxis announces FDA clearance of investigational new drug application for phase 2 study of ADXS-HPV and Incyte's epacadostat for the treatment of HPV-associated early stage cervical cancer

but, but... Wall St. is corrupt image

Patients with cervical cancer don't necessarily know that, or even care. They just want help. If they are somebody's wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, somebody might care too.

• Options
    Just sold some calls against a volatile biotech

Why? too much premium, probably a sucker bet ;~
  • Options
    How about now?

• Options
    What now? Selling followed by more selling ;~ It's across the board and the name or prospects don't matter right now, which means some are becoming a value, but I don't think the beatdown is over yet. Baley, are you buying some HALO back yet? I've been nibbling, but nothing more right now.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought GILD at the open

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought GILD at the open

mark >>

You know Gilead has made a lot of money for many folks over the years….still a darling of many who are in the field and seem to be in the know.
    I had to bail out of biotech after Hillary started her chanting to the masses.
    Reminded me of the 90s with the Billary health care reform mantras…beat down medical/biotech for a while but then it eventually bounced back and to the moon.
    Biotech will be a target up until the 2016 election…then should start its upward move again….just too many exciting technological advances on too many medical fronts to keep it down.
    JMHO, as always.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bought GILD at the open

mark >>

You know Gilead has made a lot of money for many folks over the years….still a darling of many who are in the field and seem to be in the know.
    I had to bail out of biotech after Hillary started her chanting to the masses.
    Reminded me of the 90s with the Billary health care reform mantras…beat down medical/biotech for a while but then it eventually bounced back and to the moon.
    Biotech will be a target up until the 2016 election…then should start its upward move again….just too many exciting technological advances on too many medical fronts to keep it down.
    JMHO, as always. >>

I e been waiting patiently for this to come in. $94.xx I was willing to pay. Core position

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Biotech is not all the same, no more than XOM is the same
    as LINE.

Companies like GILD and AMGN are making money selling products. They are fine.

100's of other companies are just doing research. Some have bright prospects like REGN
    others have poor prospects. They all are bull market stocks and are very hard to evaluate
    because they have no earnings.

As an example, one I have owned BLUE, went from 30 to 200 in the last 12 months,
    and now is 90.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the companies making good money will get caught in any major stock market downdraft. The baby being tossed out with the bath water is the norm when investors panic.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Even the companies making good money will get caught in any major stock market downdraft. The baby being tossed out with the bath water is the norm when investors panic. >>

No doubt RR, and that's what creates opportunity, because a lot of people are lousy investors. How many times do two different people invest in the same stock, where one will lament: "I lost my $$, the market is a scam and the little guy always loses" and he sells said stock for big losses...the other guy also a small investor trades around a position sells some at the high buys more when on sale and makes good money in the long run on the same stock. It happens all the time.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guy who bought stocks in 2008 hates the market while the one who bought in 2009 loves it. The buy who bought silver in 2011 hates it, while the guy who bought it in 2006 wishes he bought stocks. LMAO!! Just kidding. Dont take it personally PMers. Just trying to have a little fun between football games.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably time to buy Lockheed Martin, Sikorsky, Boeing and General Dynamics.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Gene therapy companies doing well today.

Is anyone "against" treatments that could improve the quality of life for people with hereditary blindness?

• Options
    how much it will cost to cure 3000 folks worldwide.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how much it will cost to cure 3000 folks worldwide. >>

It depends on whether you pay cash or you have insurance . If you have insurance its $10,000 a pill if you pay cash its $5000. Those are US prices of course after some PE dbag marks them up a hair.

The pills themselves are made in India for 11 cents each and sell for a buck apiece everywhere else.image
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this as a trade? http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/immy although it might be too late already

Imprimis Pharmaceutical is going to market the pill that weird little troll just raised to $750 a pill for just a buck each. They should get a lot of positive PR from that idea.

• Options
    Originally posted by: jmski52

I owned ISIS for a few years. Interesting technology, and you would think that eventually they will come through with some winners. It always seems to be slow going, though.

They've changed their (rather unfortunate) name to "Ionis" recently

• Options
    They've changed their (rather unfortunate) name to "Ionis" recently

I saw that. Baley, what do you think of antisense technology? I would've thought that by now, they would have at least one blockbuster success but I don't know that they have.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Biotech is a very tough business, lots of technical, regulatory, and marketing hurtles, and for investments, lots of volatility and market risk, which is why the successful ones do well if they can navigate through it all and develop good products.

Antisense, and gene therapy, appear to be among the most challenging types of projects, with the longest and roughest roads, and the lowest probability of success, so far. Very promising though, and they do appear to be advancing in the clinic...

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Baley
    Gene therapy companies doing well today.

Is anyone "against" treatments that could improve the quality of life for people with hereditary blindness?

There's people out there against everything.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    antisense

That is a serious disease on some Internet chatrooms. Lmao!!

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IBB chart

An interesting January for Biotech. 2 years negated. Something tells me if silver or gold were down 25% in one month the critics would be out in droves. image

TTPH? Same old same old. Now well below IPO price. Who knows, it could be the time to start buying the biotechs again after today's panic. The industrial metal stocks are getting interesting.

TTPH
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

After a truly epic beatdown in biotech, especially small cap bio, where many stocks dropped 75% or so...the momo is back, apparently.

Ridiculous moves in the last week or so.

• Options

Anyone know of a company who is having success in treating RA with gene therapy? Just asking.

I knew it would happen.