Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It's not lost, we just can't find 'em...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I sent a few C&C sets ATS to be certified. They came back on Friday (one package from NGC, one from PMG), the postal guy didn't ring my doorbell, but did leave a notice of attempted delivery. Strike one.

Weather was crap on Saturday, so I went to the Post Office this morning, and they can't find either package. Upon asking how they could lose *two* registered packages, the guy replies to me, "They're not lost, we just can't find 'em." Strike two.

So, they want to talk the the guy who did the delivery, and ask what happened to the packages.

I'm waiting for resolution. It better not be strike three.

(Sorry, probably shouldn't have posted, but I just had to vent. How the hell can they lose *two* registered packages? Oh, and all the Sacs came back 69's, if anyone's interested. The FRNs even worse. Can't grade paper, I guess. Heh.)

Comments

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck....let us know....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    The carrier should have returned them to the registry cage when he returned. That question should have been asked to the carrier before he left for the day. Good luck.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Hey, same thing just happened to me. Waiting all day Saturday for my coins back from PCGS as it said Out for Delivery...Nothing...

    Went online Sat night and found "delivery attempted, notice left, pick up at the PO."

    BS...nobody attempted anything. So I put on my coat and went snooping at my neighbor's looking for the notice...My neighbors are the Adams Family and or The Burbs and will steal stuff if given the opportunity.

    Nothing...

    So I printed off the USPS page and went to the PO this morning...Nothing...and the gals were talking about it and one of them said, No they won't attempt redelivery because notice was left and it's signature required...

    They gave me the Oh it'll show up story...

    Anyways my wife just called to say when she got home for lunch there was a package left on the porch from Newport Beach...

    So hold tight, it will likely show up...They get real lazy around the holiday time and it was raining on Saturday...image

    Here's my tracking number: 9210896900731200935769

    I think PCGS should be entitled to a refund on the Sig Conf fee...
  • Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    I've had the same thing happen with me on a Registered Package. Package "out for delivery" on a Thursday but didn't receive it. Next day, checked on line with USPS and it said Attempted Delivery of Registered Mail, Notice Left. There wasn't any notice left. A new person was delivering mail, I was receiving my neighbors mail, they were receiving mine. I even received someones meds from the VA that lived on another street. It was Monday before I finally received the package. It was a long weekend.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're probably still in a canvas bag in the back of one of their trucks, never having been checked back in to the cage.

    After the PO guy told you they were "non-lost", he should have been able to tell you if the driver signed them over to anyone else.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    That's just one of many reasons I have a PO Box.

    Once the package reaches the Post Office, it stays there until I pick it up
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i> the guy replies to me, "They're not lost, we just can't find 'em." >>



    oh, so they are pre-lost?
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to work nights. My mail was delivered around noon. If I saw an out for delivery but a notice left, no knock on the door, I'd get in my car and then approach the mail-person ( I knew her route, rural area) and said give me my package and next time knock on the door.

    No excuse for this kind of thing to happen. Not everyone works 9 to 5. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>They're probably still in a canvas bag in the back of one of their trucks, never having been checked back in to the cage.

    After the PO guy told you they were "non-lost", he should have been able to tell you if the driver signed them over to anyone else. >>



    Yep....they are signed out/signed in. The person you talked to was either lazy or didn't want to get involved, or both.
    I would have asked for a manager/the Postmaster General of the location (I have in the past when I had an issue). It would get things resolved quickly.
    In my case, it was ~$4500 of coins and was handed over to someone with "a similar address" by a temp/new/lazy employee. Less than 60 minutes after I got the management involved, they had driven out to the person's address, retrieved my, still unopened, package, and driven it to my house for me.

    Your package is likely either with the mail carrier, still, or put someplace it shouldn't have been. They CAN contact the mail carrier, immediately, if they so want.....your person was lazy.

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671 ✭
    Something smell fishy to me. I was a carrier for a few years and the carrier is in big trouble if he or she lose a reg. package. Last month I had a certified letter got lost fort 31 days, go figure.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Something smell fishy to me. I was a carrier for a few years and the carrier is in big trouble if he or she lose a reg. package. Last month I had a certified letter got lost fort 31 days, go figure. >>



    Definitely fishy. The carrier should turn in the delivery receipts or the packages at the end of the route. The registry clerk would be chasing down the carrier if he/she did not appear in a reasonable time.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS registered is by far the most secure way to ship. It goes from locked cage to locked cage. Who ever had your packages last had to sign for them. I bet dimes to dollars your packages will turn up.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got the "you weren't home so come pick it up" note. I went the next day and the woman at the counter actually argued with me that it probably wasn't there. When I finally got
    pushy she got her lazy butt in gear and of course it was in the back where it was supposed to be. I guess she actually thought I'd go away without the package?
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,773 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I recently got the "you weren't home so come pick it up" note. I went the next day and the woman at the counter actually argued with me that it probably wasn't there. When I finally got
    pushy she got her lazy butt in gear and of course it was in the back where it was supposed to be. I guess she actually thought I'd go away without the package? >>

    If she were smart she would have just gone on break for 5-10 minutes and then told you she looked everywhere but couldn't find it. Voila. She doesn't have to do anything AND she gets a paid break!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know why when you're looking for something, it is always in the last place you look?




    Because once you find it, you're done looking. image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>That's just one of many reasons I have a PO Box.

    Once the package reaches the Post Office, it stays there until I pick it up >>



    +1

    I got tired of this nonsense when a bag of 200 Ikes was left on my porch with a huge hole in the package and loose coins rattling around on the concrete steps. The extra layer of anonymity is nice too. You'd be surprised how many people use Google maps with street views to see where you live.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The carrier should have returned them to the registry cage when he returned. That question should have been asked to the carrier before he left for the day. Good luck. >>



    You would think so since they're supposed to reconcile all deliveries with tracking/signature requirement. Most likely there was nobody available who had a key.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>That's just one of many reasons I have a PO Box.

    Once the package reaches the Post Office, it stays there until I pick it up >>



    In theory this works great, but my local PO still managed to lose packages within the building. It got so bad right before I closed the box that I would have to show them the tracking on their website before they would look for the packages, as they stopped even leaving me notices.


    Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for you. I am so sick of the postal service losing my packages and nobody can be held responsible. They have lost two of my packages in the last six months. Package number 1 was sent to me priority mail, arrived in town and scanned as delivered to may address. This was back in August and the package still has not turned up. The package was insured but the PO says that because it was scanned as delivered that it had to be delivered to my address. End of story, appeal denied, $144.00 lost.

    Package number 2, a $300 coin, sold by me and send by priority mail with signature delivery. The package arrived in the customers city, notices left to pick-up coin or redelivery. Customer received no such notices and went to PO to find coin. PO cannot find coin. The tracking still says "package awaiting delivery" and it has been since November 28th. I called the PO in question to find out what happened to the package, no call returned. No one at the PO is responsible and there is no accountability. I finally put a claim for the coin to my insurance company and they paid the claim for $300 which I was able to reimburse the customer. The coin is still out there somewhere.

    ARRRHHG!!!


  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, here's an update.

    There is no update. The Post Office supervisor was supposed to call me yesterday after talking to the person who allegedly attempted delivery, and got no call. image

    I have opened two complaints with customer service, so I would at least have case numbers and a paper trail about this problem. (I have had great results going this route, and have even gotten follow-up phone calls from the USPS to confirm the problem was solved.)

    Now it's wait and see if they can find the packages.

    Thanks everyone for the support on my rant. image I'm actually happy it was just a few $1 C&C sets. If this was a really high-dollar item, I'd be crawling the walls right now. HAhahahahaha...
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>That's just one of many reasons I have a PO Box.

    Once the package reaches the Post Office, it stays there until I pick it up >>



    +1

    I got tired of this nonsense when a bag of 200 Ikes was left on my porch with a huge hole in the package and loose coins rattling around on the concrete steps. The extra layer of anonymity is nice too. You'd be surprised how many people use Google maps with street views to see where you live. >>

    For the amount of times I'd really need to use a PO Box, it's not cost justifiable. I only send coins to be graded two, three times a year. Otherwise, most stuff I order is sent UPS/FedEx...

    I mean, these were registered packages from NGC/PMG. I can't say I really expected a problem like this.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I have UPS & FedEx sent to my PO box as well. It's safer than being left on the front porch.

    Just supply the physical street address of your post office and Unit # for your box number and UPS and FedEx will deliver it.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they finally showed up today. No explanation, no excuses, but they redelivered to my house without asking! (At least I didn't have to go out to the post office on another zero degree day... image )

    So the registered mail though the USPS is still batting 1.000, but they've hit a lot of foul balls...
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Good for you! I know that buying things and waiting for delivery can be very stressful.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Good news!!

    My tracking still shows notice left...even though they showed up and just threw it on my porch.

    I had a buyer years ago that tried to scam me on a $4K item when he actually took delivery, sent signature and they didn't have him sign for it. He was a complete clown outta NJ name was Steve.

    I'd contacted him multiple times vai eaby messaging to advise it was at the PO waiting to be picked up. I thought maybe he hadn't gotten the notice left as happens sometimes.

    I'd later linked his buyer and seller accounts and sent a message through the ask the seller a question and he responded immediatelyto a BS Q about one of his high end items, though he responded to none of my messages sent to his buyer account about the package. I'd also contacted his other recent sellers and they were in the same boat as me.

    I ended up calling the squirrel and he attempted to play games on the phone and tell me how he was going to claim it wasn't received, and keep the coins and get his money back. I was able to persuade him that the amount of stress caused by trying something like that could be very bad for his health.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Good for you! I know that buying things and waiting for delivery can be very stressful. >>

    If you read the OP, I wasn't waiting for delivery. I can deal with that...usually, anyway. The USPS lost two registered packages that they (allegedly) attempted to deliver to my house. That's a whole different ball game. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file