Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards you would be happy to own in a PSA 5 holder?

Everyone seems to be searching for the elusive Psa 10 by opening packs and cracking out cards but almost all of us I assume will never own a Psa 10 mantle, Clemente, Aaron, etc. a lot of people on the boards can own a higher dollar card in Psa 8 or 9 but what card would you be happy to own in a psa 5 holder? I'll start with the following two cards:

1963 Pete Rose rookie perfectly centered
1965 joe Namath rookie

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, nothing. I realized a long time ago that I'd rather not own a card than own it in condition that doesn't satisfy me.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost my entire collection! Many classics, from a CJ Shoeless to a D304 Cobb to a Gehrig RC, I'm just happy to have in 2s or 3s; others, like a Ruth Rookie, I'll take a 1, LOL-- as long as I can find centering and an unblemished, focused image, with century old cards especially I am very tolerant of corners. If we're talking newer stuff like 70s and up, different story, as even beautiful 8s are often quite affordable. Also, a 5 on the sticker of your eventual Rose and Namath will wind up mattering little if the cards looks better than most 6s image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    1948 Leo Nomellini

Matt
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    1952 Topps Mantle #311
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Almost my entire collection! Many classics, from a CJ Shoeless to a D304 Cobb to a Gehrig RC, I'm just happy to have in 2s or 3s; others, like a Ruth Rookie, I'll take a 1, LOL-- as long as I can find centering and an unblemished, focused image, with century old cards especially I am very tolerant of corners. If we're talking newer stuff like 70s and up, different story, as even beautiful 8s are often quite affordable. Also, a 5 on the sticker of your eventual Rose and Namath will wind up mattering little if the cards looks better than most 6s image >>

I love your collection. I was inspired by it when you published that thread a while back with the top cards in the hobby. I am starting a project this year and my goal will be "to hell with the grade and the back - what is the eye appeal of the card front?" Like you, will be open to rounded corners on very old cards. And I will be cracking the cards out if purchased in a holder so I can feel them when desired. I want to work my way down the ESPN Hall of 100 list, inch by inch.

P.S. - Totally jealous of that Joe Jackson.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I just recently picked up a 54 topps hank Aaron raw, guessing it will grade a bvg 5. So that's off the list.
    51 bowman mantle (honestly, I'd be ok with any grade or even altered). Also Pete rose rc in any numerical grade. Nolan Ryan would also be I
    On my list.

I don't really care about centering as much as many other collectors do, I'd rather have a blazer with sharp corners!
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Any card in a low grade holder with great eye-appeal. Gretzky's 1979 OPC rookie is and has always been my favorite card, so I'm super happy to own this PSA 3:

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    A PSA 5 works for me on any rookie card. I guess I'm easy to please.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure everyone has one.

Here's mine:

Mike
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'm a PSA 2-3 kind of guy.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Thanks, Dytch. I have a cousin who cracks out all his graded cards to keep them raw in card savers. When I see his collection I really feel the pull to have them presented that old school way.

Mullins, that is my dream Gretzky. Centering is sweet and that oil drop is a bull's eye! What a value.

Also, Stone, that is a pretty monstrous grade for a T3 Cobb.

• Options
    Any card. They're all awesome and deserve a good home in my collection.
  • Options
    I'm looking for some sweet spider-wrinkle HOF RCs
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure everyone has one.

Here's mine:

image >>

I'm not crazy about that particular 5, but that is also the card I would pick.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Any Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, or Walter Johnson card, as long as it's decently centered and from their playing days, not after.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    K-Bats Harry Wright

Jim Thorpe Zeenut

N173 Chas. Ferguson

I could make a list a thousand long on this ask!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    My best 5:

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love 5's if they present well and are well centered. A bunch of my rookies from the 50s through the 60s are 5's.

If it looks like this, it is more than welcome in my collection.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I could make a list a thousand long on this ask! >>

As could I!! Any 1955 or 1956 Kahn's card, any 1961 Topps Dice Game card, any mid-50's meat card, a '63 Pepsi John Bateman perhaps, how about a 1958 Kahn's Roberto Clemente or a 1955 Topps Stamp Hank Aaron? Endless........

• Options
    Sometimes 5 seems downright high-grade to me-- these three cards don't even add up to a 5, LOL!

Meanwhile these two are a 5 and 4.5...

• Options
    1959 Fleer Ted Williams #68 SP
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I'm in full agreement with the buy the card and not the holder mantra.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful cobb!!
  • Options
    T206 honus Wagner and T206 Eddie plank.
  • Options
    That's a beautiful PSA 5 Cepeda rookie Evan, very hard to find that one well centered.

Of course, GBall16 beat me to the most obvious: T206 Wagner, I think there is only one graded a 5 and that's "Jumbo". Many believe that is the really the highest graded because it is 100% unaltered.

Basically, any card that I want & could not afford a higher graded one I would be more than happy with a 5 or less, as long as it was centered decently.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I could make a list a thousand long on this ask! >>

As could I!! Any 1955 or 1956 Kahn's card, any 1961 Topps Dice Game card, any mid-50's meat card, a '63 Pepsi John Bateman perhaps, how about a 1958 Kahn's Roberto Clemente or a 1955 Topps Stamp Hank Aaron? Endless........ >>

Forgot to say a 1980 Topps Pepsi Mike Schmidt!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Agree with the '52 Mantle.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Some amazing examples of lower grade cards here.

When I got back into collecting I thought going after the best grade you could afford was a good mantra. The more cards I studied the more I released grades are nothing more than a number on the sticker. I love slabbed cards for protection and for the confirmation they are authentic and (most of the time) unaltered. 90% of my pre 1975 cards are graded 5 or below. As long as the card is centered and hits the eye well, I'll take any grade 1-10.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The PSA 5 Mantle in my 61 set:

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Thanks, Dytch. I have a cousin who cracks out all his graded cards to keep them raw in card savers. When I see his collection I really feel the pull to have them presented that old school way.

Mullins, that is my dream Gretzky. Centering is sweet and that oil drop is a bull's eye! What a value.

Also, Stone, that is a pretty monstrous grade for a T3 Cobb. >>

Thank you sir! It's actually your collection that has inspired me to focus more on the card's attributes than the grade on the holder.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    I happened to buy this Sunday just before this thread went up and it arrived today. May not overly impress the centering guys, but I couldn't be happier to have it as part of my collection.

• Options
    Great looking Hank! Love the clean surface!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>1959 Fleer Ted Williams #68 SP >>

Oohhh, I've got another one! (not mine, but I'd love one like it)

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great looking Hank! Love the clean surface! >>

Thanks! From what I saw looking at 54 Aaron's the past few months, in the mid grades it seems like a clean surface with good color and the name in focus aren't that easy to come by. Very happy to have this one.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Basically, any card that I want & could not afford a higher graded one I would be more than happy with a 5 or less, as long as it was centered decently. >>

+1. Exactly.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have found that many 5s looks as good or better than many 6s......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    ledstersledsters Posts: 603 ✭✭
  • Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    I just posted this in the mail call thread, but thought it belonged in this one too. Here is a PSA 5 I am very happy to own:

• Options
    Mantle looks more 'seveny' to me. When it's centered, the image is blurry. When it's focused, it's tilted horribly. You found a diamond in the rough there. There's pop report data, then there is the harsh and often surprising reality of how hard it is to get certain cards both centered and well printed.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Love that Mick ... nice pickup.

Would one of these

And 2 of these equal a 5? LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice Micks all around!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Montiel Musial, but there are none graded higher than a 2.5

• Options
    I wouldn't mind a T210 Old Mill Shoeless Joe in EX condition.

• Options

<< <i>Mantle looks more 'seveny' to me. When it's centered, the image is blurry. When it's focused, it's tilted horribly. You found a diamond in the rough there. There's pop report data, then there is the harsh and often surprising reality of how hard it is to get certain cards both centered and well printed. >>

Yeah, the second I saw it on Ebay I knew I found a special one. In hand it looks like a seven and it goes nicely with the 57 Ted Williams you sold me.
  • Options

<< <i>Love that Mick ... nice pickup.

Would one of these

image >>

The 56 is next on my list! Nice card.
  • Options
    My new low-grade Gretzky (PSA 4)