Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exonumists... How do you store a Medal like this?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I usually shy away from anything that's been holed for suspension, let alone with a ribbon and a pin bar.

This 38mm diameter white metal medal was so pristine I had a change of heart.

Would this fit into a Mylar currency holder?

image

image


To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i> Would this fit into a Mylar currency holder? >>



    I don't know but I have a few similar things that I need a way to store too. I'm going to give it a try. If no one else responds I will after I try it. I may even play around with sealing it with a heat sealer.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i> Would this fit into a Mylar currency holder? >>



    I don't know but I have a few similar things that I need a way to store too. I'm going to give it a try. If no one else responds I will after I try it. I may even play around with sealing it with a heat sealer. >>



    Thanks as I'd be curious in knowing.

    I slipped the medal into 1/2 a Saflip and bagged it attached to the cardboard.

    That's just not how I want to permanently store it since there's too many layers to clearly see it.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might fit inside one of those intercept shield slab boxes, if you can find one.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>It might fit inside one of those intercept shield slab boxes, if you can find one. >>



    Thanks but it's longer then a slab.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are special sleeves made for medals on ribbons (example). There are three main problems with them:

    1. I've never found PVC-free versions. To get around that, I make sure that the holders have an inside diameter a smidgen over 2 inches, and I put the suspension part of the medal inside a PVC-free flip before putting the whole thing (including the flip) in the mylar holder. It's not perfect and it's not pretty, but it does keep the important part of the medal from contact with the PVC plastic.

    2. The last time I looked, I couldn't find any supplier in the US. I ended up ordering from the UK.

    3. You can't order just one.

    That's the best I've come up with.
  • Options
    My Ebay Auctions

    Currently Listed: Nothing

    Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following intercept shield products may be your solution.

    3 x 4 storage bags

    7 x 9 I.s. storage bags

    I have a few of the 3 x 4 on hand & would be happy to mail you one...free of charge....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put lots of stuff like this into currency holders and it works great. They are stiff, PVC-free, fit nicely into currency boxes for storage, and the item is viewable both front and back. I often staple down the long end of the holder with two or three staples so the item fits snugly and then of course flatten the staples. The only drawback to this is that once stapled the item is difficult to remove for viewing outside the holder. Fun medal BTW!
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

    ANA LM

    USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I collected medals my answer would have been that, generally, I wouldn't.

    I always avoided the holed medals as they were difficult to store and display. (Even though there are many interesting ones.)

    The one exception I would have made was for two holed medals with badges:

    1. Cornerstone Laying, October, 1895, Northern Illinois State Normal School, DeKalb, probably white metal. I have only seen one example of this medal. It was holed and was missing the badge/ribbon.

    2. College opening, September, 1899, Northern Illinois State Normal School, bronze. I have seen one example of this medal and am not sure if it had the badge/ribbon.

    Both of the examples I saw were in the Northern Illinois University archives. They were on display at the University library in the fall of 1965.

    I have never seen or heard of another example of either.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Would a proof set lens work ?
    Dansco BU washie set empty holes:
    32d,32s,34d,35d,36d,37,37d,37s,38,38s,39s.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Would a proof set lens work ? >>

    No. Not deep enough to compensate for the pin on the back of the ribbon bar. I use 3" X 5" hinged, clear plastic snap-lock cases, which can usually be found at craft supply stores. I like the shadow box that DenverDave posted as well, but it only affords viewing one side of a badge like this.

    Here is what I use:
    image
    Made for storage of stacks of sports collector cards. There are larger dimension boxes available.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    Here's a Floating Flexi Frame 3D that allows viewing from both sides...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBSMeCT3lVg

    image
    My Ebay Auctions

    Currently Listed: Nothing

    Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    I must say that medal is in outstanding condition, how many times can you find one with the ribbon and the rest of the accoutrements and in such perfect conditions.image
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    I collect Inaugural medals by committee.
    image

    I then slide the ribbon/medal into a currency holder and cut it out, staple the holder tight so there is no sliding, and use electrical tape to make the edges look clean(isn)/try to keep the elements out.
    image

    They then live in a Riker box with foam that I cut to fit.
    image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone as there's some fine suggestions in this thread! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file