Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982 Lincoln cent sets - 33 years in original paper

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
My better half sent me on a house cleaning project and I ran across sets of the 1982 Lincoln sets with both copper and zinc, large and small dates. Each piece was wrapped in its original paper. Some quick research tells me I need to pull 67's and reds to make these worth anything (assuming I don't have to double die obverse varaity). But spending 33 years and paper containers has had an interesting effect on the handful of themimage. iPhone photography doesn't nearly catch the intensity of these colors but hopefully you guys get the idea.



image
image

[URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/winstar_album/media/e91786f6-e5b4-4256-8b72-364cefcde28d_zpsa753ad9e.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s119.photobucket.com/user/winstar_album/media/77604759fad5e3633ced4d75881a2c25_zps7f88446e.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty toning, but I don't think PCGS would grade it. It's a little too "wild" for their approval, IMO.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭
    from these images...these are sweet

    i'm not a zincoln guy so i wouldn't deal with them
    but those 82 coppers now

    so long as they're not dinged up or have gashes...they have sweet colorful toning
    it'd be a coin by coin decision to make
    but it looks like they'd grade

    graded and sent to the right seller....you might see a lil profit being made there
    finding toners is one 1/2 the battle
    getting them in a holder is the last 1/2

    many just buy already graded as getting them in holders is dicey at times

    hit shane up....ebay id kryptonitecomics...postings on buy-sell-trade board
    or
    dick.....MR D....greattoning...many post's up on the B-S-T board too

    they have a following that consignment fees get washed away with what they achieve in final hammer prices

    sweet read too
    congrats on the find too

    better images always helps too image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see


  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea but if you can get them graded I have seen even ugly (to me anyway) toned copper sell for crazy high money at times, so 67 or better in RD is not required to make money.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Pretty pocket change
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a Kryptonitecomics consignment!


    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update on these guys. Turns out that all the copper pennies in the pink envelopes and all the zinc cents in the white envelopes (12 coins total) took on pretty awesome color. I took them to the Baltimore show in March to get some expert thoughts, and opinions on grade/value ranged from pocket change to shot-at-67. I dropped off three to Great Collections for grading and consignment - their fee structure is such as there is relatively little downside. I don't recall if it was the exact ones pictured above or not. I got the grades back from PCGS today. The two bronze 1982P small dates I submitted came back as 64RB. The one zinc 1982 small date I submitted came back 66RD.

  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    cool update. i like the coloring image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.



    BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your right, you need 67's for flipping, but check that zinc small date for the DDR - Only one graded by PCGS so far...

    image
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Your right, you need 67's for flipping, but check that zinc small date for the DDR - Only one graded by PCGS so far...
    >>



    isnt that the ddr that was sold on ebay recently for $8k? well, i think it was the d/c.
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 416 ✭✭✭


    << <i>An update on these guys. Turns out that all the copper pennies in the pink envelopes and all the zinc cents in the white envelopes (12 coins total) took on pretty awesome color. I took them to the Baltimore show in March to get some expert thoughts, and opinions on grade/value ranged from pocket change to shot-at-67. I dropped off three to Great Collections for grading and consignment - their fee structure is such as there is relatively little downside. I don't recall if it was the exact ones pictured above or not. I got the grades back from PCGS today. The two bronze 1982P small dates I submitted came back as 64RB. The one zinc 1982 small date I submitted came back 66RD. >>



    I would suggest setting a minimum bid w/ Great Collections. You can win and lose. I lost a lot on registry silver Kennedy Halves. Wish I had gone the min bid route w/ my input.
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file