Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Most Overpriced Cards Of The Year Thread

I have seen some beauties recently especially a few 1971 Topps baseball from Dean's cards,but after seeing THIS ONE I had to start a thread. Not only is it priced more than $2000 OVER what PWCC got for almost the same card, he also put a sticker over part of the card's picture! I would love to see what others have found and will find in the coming months.
Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I think that would be considered overpriced!

Shane

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overpriced yes - but that card is a beast to find in an 8 or higher.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    At least he is truthful about the PD on the one card that does have a PD qualifier.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least he is truthful about the PD on the one card that does have a PD qualifier. >>

I say he lied, because it doesn't have a qualifier. image
  • This thread should just be a link to Dean's entire inventory. I can't believe he sells more than about 5-10 cards per year.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Dean's Cards has a nice logo, that's the best I can do.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    The stickers on the cards in the first post were put there by PSA, not the seller. That's what they do sometimes (supposed to be all of the time, but I digress) to show a submitter why a card didn't bump to a higher grade. The fact that he didn't remove the stickers before scanning is quite a head scratcher.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong but I think this qualifies from the same seller link
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree - that's a few hundred buck card IMO. Williams, Mantle and DiMaggio signed enough stuff for everyone in the free and not so free world to have one.
    Mike
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I'd say Colin kaepernick rookie card prior to the season.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Agree - that's a few hundred buck card IMO. Williams, Mantle and DiMaggio signed enough stuff for everyone in the free and not so free world to have one. >>

Did some digging on this set and it looks like these cards are in pretty high demand. This Mays which has a higher print run sold for 5K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=213&amp;item=201219086113&amp;rt=nc&amp;print=all&amp;si=yRBhefkBLNE5rnrgq4veDLuc6Nc=
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree - that's a few hundred buck card IMO. Williams, Mantle and DiMaggio signed enough stuff for everyone in the free and not so free world to have one. >>

Did some digging on this set and it looks like these cards are in pretty high demand. This Mays which has a higher print run sold for 5K:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=213&amp;item=201219086113&amp;rt=nc&amp;print=all&amp;si=yRBhefkBLNE5rnrgq4veDLuc6Nc= >>

Link.

I'm not surprised - but 10K?

Again, I would pay a few hundred for a card like this.

I could be wrong - have been about a lot of stuff - but I think if someone paid 10K for that card? Some day down the road, it may be regretted if a sale is necessary?
    Mike
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no interest in that card either. I also wouldn't pay 25k for a shiny Jordan card from the 90s or a few K for a PSA baseball common from the 60s in a 10 slab. None of that makes sense to me.

But in each case there is a group of buyers that have deep pockets and collect those cards and it looks like that is what's happening in this case. There must be a few guys with real deep pockets that need to have these cards. I haven't done the research but assume based on the year that this was early on in the relic/auto/SP game and these cards are iconic to a certain set of collectors.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Deans' is overpriced?
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Maybe its just me but if I had a card like the Berra and wanted a few grand for it, I would have the card scanned by itself. No reason to have other cards in the scan.
    Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
    Everything from this seller
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a little overpriced link

This card is a 300 dollar card on a very good day.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Anything on Mike Denero's site. Gets tiresome seeing the same cards come up over and over from my followed searches. Anyway to block out a seller?
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything on Mike Denero's site. Gets tiresome seeing the same cards come up over and over from my followed searches. Anyway to block out a seller? >>

I think he has all his cards on a one day auction. I swear I see his stuff every day in newly listed items. Plus he puts his name in the title. How pretentious.

Here's one I found. The last 8 sold for twenty two bucks!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I swear the same cards keep coming up in my ebay emails. Some easily 2+ years or more.
    SAme card overpriced and still not sold....clogging up ebay

I wish there was a way to "mark" a card so it can't keep coming up.

I also wish we could block certain sellers.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=213&amp;item=201219086113&amp;rt=nc&amp;print=all&amp;si=yRBhefkBLNE5rnrgq4veDLuc6Nc= >>

Link.

I'm not surprised - but 10K?

Again, I would pay a few hundred for a card like this.

I could be wrong - have been about a lot of stuff - but I think if someone paid 10K for that card? Some day down the road, it may be regretted if a sale is necessary? >>

Demand is what drives value. You can say the same things about ANY card. What WOULD you pay $10,000+ for and what makes it a better investment than the Mays?
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI The final sale shows $5,000 and then the card was re listed and then taken off EBAY.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say almost anything on Cardboard Kingz listings on Ebay. He has some nice stuff but the prices are nowhere close to recent sales or VCP. Has a 1975 Ryan in a PSA 8.5 and asking for $999 on it. Closest one to it has been $628, and when you contact him about this card or any card there is not much giving. Usual response is "I have an offer for $925 for the card." If that was truly the case IMO the card would be gone.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any unopened material! Gambling big that a gem mint star will be in pack...when many times...there is no more than a fraction of what you paid in the pack. Plus...even if a key card is hit...the production of that card has to be flawless---not off center...no print defects...color not washed out...image is not in 3-d (registration is struck perfectly for a crisp sharp image)...no gum stains...no corner damage in wrapping phase of the product.
    mint_only_pls
    Say what you want about 4SC but I don't think they make this list often. This seems to be about double what this card has sold for the last 6 months or so

link
  • my best Dean's cards experience was driving 150 miles WAY out into bumf**k, CA desert area for a guy with a pretty nice collection of vintage. He told me AFTER I got there, that he based his asking on Dean's Cards. Wanted $20 for a McGwire Topps rookie. Called him every name in the book, and drove home 150 miles.
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Just want to once again clarify that I am not the owner of Dean's cards. That is all image
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a new candidate.

Check the pop report.
    (double post)
    There is a PSA 6 for $230 something and even 707 is almost a THOUSAND bucks cheaper!

But it's his rookie card!
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I have seen some beauties recently especially a few 1971 Topps baseball from Dean's cards,but after seeing THIS ONE I had to start a thread

At least shipping seems reasonable for a card priced that high image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

<< <i>Here is a new candidate.

Check the pop report. >>

Wanted to add, this particular card that they are trying to sell at $6,000 is probably around a $100 item.

Found a new contender

link
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Check the pop report. >>

Wanted to add, this particular card that they are trying to sell at $6,000 is probably around a $100 item. >>

The seller relisted this many times and never lowered the price at all. In fact, the new price is $66,666. image
  • Any Bowman Chrome card with a Kris Bryant autograph.

<< <i>

Check the pop report. >>

Wanted to add, this particular card that they are trying to sell at $6,000 is probably around a $100 item. >>

The seller relisted the card in this link at $66,666.66 now, auction, not best offer. Is it the winner? At least it has free shipping!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Check the pop report. >>

The seller relisted the card in this link at $66,666.66 now, auction, not best offer. Is it the winner? At least it has free shipping! >>

According to VCP that exact card was purchased for 200 dollars back in May 2014.
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Check the pop report. >>

The seller relisted the card in this link at $66,666.66 now, auction, not best offer. Is it the winner? At least it has free shipping! >>

According to VCP that exact card was purchased for 200 dollars back in May 2014. >>

Interesting data, thanks. There weren't as many on the pop report when it pulled 200 either. I'm thinking 100 max today.

myurl

This is a tad overpriced in my opinion. I know that not all 10's are created equal, but I think his price for this is out of this stratosphere. I would only pay "9" money for this on a good day. Though I did find the loose leaf paper back drop to be a useful tool to judge corners and edges. Still overpriced though. Crazy sellers.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>myurl

This is a tad overpriced in my opinion. I know that not all 10's are created equal, but I think his price for this is out of this stratosphere. I would only pay "9" money for this on a good day. Though I did find the loose leaf paper back drop to be a useful tool to judge corners and edges. Still overpriced though. Crazy sellers.

Jimmy >>

I dunno. The seller sees there is one listed at $550 and is wiling to let it go at $400. That's someone that has the "priced to sell" mentality and I admire the flexibility of leaving $150 on the table.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    I dunno. The seller sees there is one listed at $550 and is wiling to let it go at $400. That's someone that has the "priced to sell" mentality and I admire the flexibility of leaving $150 on the table.

image Very true, and that should account for something. I still feel $400.00 is a tad too much though. If he would knock off another 50 or so, we might be able to do something.

Jimmy
    I purchased a very fine copy for around $35.00. This one looks like it came out of a fire! And for that price someone should throw water on the seller.

Fire sale
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure who this guy is: Tim Thomas I'm guessing this probably isn't worth more than a couple hundred at most.

<< <i>I'm not even sure who this guy is: Tim Thomas I'm guessing this probably isn't worth more than a couple hundred at most. >>

That's a 15-25 dollar card

• << <i>I'm not even sure who this guy is: Tim Thomas I'm guessing this probably isn't worth more than a couple hundred at most. >>

Tim Thomas, you mean Mr. I'm-so-far-Right-I-won't-visit-the-White-House-occupied-by-a-Communist? Don't know him? Huh.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not even sure who this guy is: Tim Thomas I'm guessing this probably isn't worth more than a couple hundred at most. >>

Tim Thomas, you mean Mr. I'm-so-far-Right-I-won't-visit-the-White-House-occupied-by-a-Communist? Don't know him? Huh. >>

No, didn't know that was him. Now I want his autograph, but still not at that price image