Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Up In 2015: Proof ASE on Jan 2. Who's In?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a sucker for my usual. However they will remain ungraded.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to get multiples, kept all raw, and would hand some out as gifts.
    Silver went high, mint prices went higher, and I scaled back.

Silver has gone much lower, the mint has barely lowered the price. I will get 1-2 and that is it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    None for me!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not this year.

• Options
    Price TBD

But it will be $48.95

(The current price of the 2014!)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I buy everything
    How many is the question
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get 5 4 for grand children &1 for me
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a subscription for a few but I didn't get the normal "we're getting close to placing your order" email.....no reminder to opt out
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    300% over spot, what a bargain..............................PASS
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have a subscription, but may need a prescription for that, this year.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was channel surfing yesterday and saw on the HSN channel ANACS graded 2015 W ASEs. They were asking 160+ for PR70s.
  • Options
    Critical error made

• Options
    BrolBrol Posts: 266 ✭✭
    If there will be some left on Jan 3 I will order one or two..
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others here, I get one each year for each grandchild, and one for me. They all stay raw in the box.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Spots issue keeps me out of the game! It's too bad, I like them.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I heard that subscriptions died when the new Mint WEB site went online?
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Not I

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $50 a coin? Is silver back up to $30 an oz??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$50 a coin? Is silver back up to $30 an oz?? >>

I paid $13.95 (minus a buck) for a C & C sac......what's the percentage over spot for that???? I would guess a tad more....

It's a collectable coin...not bullion
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope out of this game have you guy's seen the 2014's milk sopts every where. I sold all of my 14's they look like junk every coin had a spot or spots all over them. On hold on this one for now.

PS:Wanted to say this was for the UNC not the PR.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a subscription for 2 and don't plan on changing that right now.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subscribed for 1. I have to agree the price is way out of line with silver under $16

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quit the series the year they skipped.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Old habits are hard to suppress. image

At 11:59 I realized the SAE's were about to go live so I zipped onto the website and ordered 10. Checked the order history
    and they were in process immediately! I am totally impressed.

The entire process took me about 7 minutes. It was like an Amazon ordering experience only faster, as I knew what I
    wanted. I'll bet they even ship out today.

image US Mint. You've moved into total ordering efficiency.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Stopped collecting ASEs a few years ago. The premiums a few years ago were no where near what they are today. The mint knows it has a popular coin and it is taking advantage of it.

Only item I will buy are the special ASE sets in raw and NGC 70s. I worry about the spotting on these sets, but don't have too much invested in these special sets. Sold my 86-2011 NGC 70 set 3 years ago with no regrets. Held the set for 5 years and overall got back what I paid for it. A few were spotting and NGC took care of them for me at very little expense. I personally don't think conservation of spotted coins back to 70 grade do not hold up very long. They tend to reappear.

I am waiting the an ultra high relief ASE. Maybe it will be part of the 30 anniversary set if they make it next year.
  • Options
    Just got email notice that the order has shipped !

That is very fast. 11:22 pm hst 1/1/15 got order email (4:22 am est). Shipped email 10:57 am hst (3:57 pm est). Less than 12 hours from order to ship.

• Options

<< <i>Stopped collecting ASEs a few years ago. The premiums a few years ago were no where near what they are today. The mint knows it has a popular coin and it is taking advantage of it.

Only item I will buy are the special ASE sets in raw and NGC 70s. I worry about the spotting on these sets, but don't have too much invested in these special sets. Sold my 86-2011 NGC 70 set 3 years ago with no regrets. Held the set for 5 years and overall got back what I paid for it. A few were spotting and NGC took care of them for me at very little expense. I personally don't think conservation of spotted coins back to 70 grade do not hold up very long. They tend to reappear.

I am waiting the an ultra high relief ASE. Maybe it will be part of the 30 anniversary set if they make it next year. >>

2015 will see only a silver medal, not a coin.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    +10 for me again
  • Options

<< <i>Just got email notice that the order has shipped !

That is very fast. 11:22 pm hst 1/1/15 got order email (4:22 am est). Shipped email 10:57 am hst (3:57 pm est). Less than 12 hours from order to ship. >>

That's great except the product has only been on sale for a little over 6 hours!

Check which item/order shipped, and 4:22 am est does not sound right for your order time.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just got email notice that the order has shipped !

That is very fast. 11:22 pm hst 1/1/15 got order email (4:22 am est). Shipped email 10:57 am hst (3:57 pm est). Less than 12 hours from order to ship. >>

That's great except the product has only been on sale for a little over 6 hours!

Check which item/order shipped, and 4:22 am est does not sound right for your order time. >>

I was surprised at the emails too. Just going by the emails I received.
    Checked the mint site and it is not showing up under order history. What would you think if you got these emails from the mint? The time shown is my local time (hst), 5 hours to est = 4:22 am 1/2/15, 4 hours to central time if the email came from the fulfillment center = 3:22 am.

• Options
    Two shipped today under subscription.
  • Options
    I want to order the Marshall $5.
  • Options
    oooh....

those are subscription orders

now we know what they look like

note the "USS" instead of "USM" in the order number

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>oooh....

those are subscription orders

now we know what they look like

note the "USS" instead of "USM" in the order number >>

Just noticed that. Anyway, my 2 shipped today also. I also got an email yesterday thanking me for my order, an email showing shipped today. There was no pre-email as in the past letting me know that these would be shipped within the next 4 weeks as in the past. No chance of cancelling or changing my subscription number.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I'll pick one up at FUN, that way I know I'll have
    at least one NEWP to bring home !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Received my ship notice today

The tracking number shows "Label Created" and the date? Jan 5 2015

So, for the regular non-subscription orders, things are moving, too.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelled all my subs back in November, ordered 3 ASE Proofs on 1/2/2015 @ ~3pm.

They shipped yesterday, Jan 3. My credit card has yet to be pinged, much less charged. (Though I have no doubt they'll get around to it. image )

More than that, my $150 order is coming UPS Ground, not Smartpost or Innovations! Definitely a step up. They'll be here Wednesday (more likely Tuesday, since stuff via UPS from Memphis only takes a day.)

This, unlike my FDR C&C set, which was ordered 12/22, shipped 12/23 via Smartpost, and might get here tomorrow, Jan 5... (Yes, I realize there were two holidays in that timeframe, but taking two weeks from ship date to arrival sucks... image)
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will add one to keep up the series.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Zoom!

ES6...2015 AM EAGLE SILVER PROOF 1 OZ...262,377

262K in three days. The 2014 sold 307K in four days...
  • Options
    With spot at $16.xx and this issue is priced near $50? Wow, no thanks.image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am absolutely floored by these type of sales numbers. Where, oh where, do all these end up. I just don't see these going to individual collectors but rather to the HSNs of the world and high volume dealers. When I go to a coin show or virtually any B&M, I see these stacked and stacked. This date will not be even scarce either and virtually no difference between it and, say, a 2013 proof. Crazy, but certainly keeping the presses churning at the mint and the money flowing in.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am absolutely floored by these type of sales numbers. Where, oh where, do all these end up. I just don't see these going to individual collectors but rather to the HSNs of the world and high volume dealers. When I go to a coin show or virtually any B&M, I see these stacked and stacked. This date will not be even scarce either and virtually no difference between it and, say, a 2013 proof. Crazy, but certainly keeping the presses churning at the mint and the money flowing in. >>

I wonder how many will get the special FUN show label at $65 a pop.
  • Options

<< <i>I am absolutely floored by these type of sales numbers. Where, oh where, do all these end up. I just don't see these going to individual collectors but rather to the HSNs of the world and high volume dealers. When I go to a coin show or virtually any B&M, I see these stacked and stacked. This date will not be even scarce either and virtually no difference between it and, say, a 2013 proof. Crazy, but certainly keeping the presses churning at the mint and the money flowing in. >>

I think you're seriously underestimating the collector base for these. The ASE proofs are (imho) a gorgeous coin. Also great gifts. People like shiny things. image

The past 10 years sales totals (in round numbers):

2004: 801K
    2005: 816K
    2006: 840K (plus another 250K in the 20th sets.)
    2007: 820K
    2008: 700K
    2009: 0K (None minted. Dumb move by the mint...)
    2010: 850K
    2011: 850K (plus another 100K in the 25th sets)
    2012: 875K
    2013: 868K
    2014: 745K (and they're still on sale.)

Those are pretty consistent numbers. Even if some do go to the HSN's and big dealers, they have have to move them, otherwise they'd have stopped buying them years ago.

Oh, my three proofs showed up today, via UPS. Have to let them warm up before I open the package, though...

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Most collectors of these will be glad when the mint ends the series. I found it daunting to keep up with the series when I collected it.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But my point was that boxes, to the tune of thousands sit around and sit around - and they do this, year after year as was pointed out.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine arrived via UPS y'day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file