Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What the heck is this?

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    maybe it's blue cosmoline to protect the obverse devices is all and can be peeled off...yes...no...?

can almost see it now...wife gives 4 year old daughter fingernail polish while hubby's at work

hubby....."hi hunny i'm home"
    wifey......."look what susie did to your coins hunny"
    susie......."aren't they pretty daddy...i did it special for you because i love you daddy"

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Looks like paint to me... ?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just have to sit back and love it. A lot? of thought went into that one........

OINK
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's paint it can usually be removed with acetone without damage to the coin. If it's some type of enamel it may not be possible to remove in a satisfactory manner. I would pass on that coin but I can see others who like to gamble buying that coin to try to conserve it assuming of course that they could get it cheap enough.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what a great description......"NOTES: N/A".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing... it just astounds me that people even list coins like this... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing... it just astounds me that people even list coins like this... Cheers, RickO >>

I am reminded of a comment a previous boss said to me once. We made duplicates of videos and I questioned why some customers' orders were done on new blank cassettes and others were made on cassettes that were QA rejects from previous orders. The boss said, "There's a market for every dupe." He meant that some people are happy with cheap and low quality because they mostly loved cheap.

If this coin wasn't a BIN it would be interesting to see at what price someone would win it.

That said, I don't recall ever seeing this type of treatment on a coin. I wonder what inspired the paint job.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    It's a Sherwin Williams obverse cameo.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file