Home U.S. Coin Forum

Matching pair circulation catch & release today

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
Had 24 stops in all today while running errands--hardware store, post office, rental properties, architect, coffee, lunch, etc.

The first stop I checked my change and found a 1948 nickel. Put it in my side pocket and kept going.

The very last stop, about 5 hours later, I got a 1954 nickel. Took them out to compare just now.

Not quite twins. But tone, shading, wear: they bear a family resemblance.

OK, so they're probably not keepers. And yet...
Sure, finding silver in change is better. But I'd wager that any 90% we find in 2014 has been reintroduced and probably pretty recently. I don't think that's true of nickels. It's neat that pieces we still find in change today circulated along side mercs & walkers, maybe steel cents.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! and 99% of folks don't even bother to look at their change.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still at work in our commerce!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could find pieces like these once in a while
    I would use my debit card less frequently.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a Ben Franklin bank at home where I put all of that "not good enough to keep" and "too cool to re-spend" type of change.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Jefferson's seem to slide by Joe Public easier then a wheatie or silver coin I suppose. I haven't released this one yet that I received in change last week, I wanted to get it home and take a closer look.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jefferson nickels, of prior decades (40's, 50's) show up frequently in change.... just not valued by many collectors. I tend to keep one's from the 40's. Cheers, RickO
  • It's fun to find stuff like that in change. A couple of week ago I was paying our bill at a restaurant and noticed a war nickel in the till. I asked the clerk if I could have it and another nickel for my change instead of a dime. She agreed and then asked what was so special. I showed her the MM and explained how they came to be used. She had no clue but said her dad would have noticed it. She also checked for any others in the drawer, but it was just the lone 1945-P.
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually keep them that age, as I sometimes will start little starter set's
    in a bunch of old Whitman's I have, and give out to people or there kids
    when they seem interested.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file