Home U.S. Coin Forum

Conservation reject--is there hope

I was wondering if others have had any luck after NCS or PCGS restoration rejected a coin as stained or not suitable for conservation? They both have the best chemicals for their work, but I assume they do not do more than a quick dip.

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. If the coin was rejected then the TPG made the tough decision to not take your money for something that couldn't be fixed.
    Lance.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    No, if experts at coin restoration said the coin was beyond help there isn't anyone else that could fix it without damaging it further.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    are you wanting to get a problem coin into a non problem coin holder here?
    or
    are you trying to conserve a coin here for sake of conserving it here?

there are services for the last one
    google coin repair services if you are trying to conserve a coin for sake of conserving it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Details of the coin and it's issues would help.... however, if rejected for conservation by the TPG's, it is likely that the damage is too extensive to make conservation worthwhile. If you just want to stop further degradation, that could be a different course of action. Cheers, RickO
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the coin. I have had some luck with early copper that was rejected by the conservation services. It usually involved
    soaking the coin for a month (or more) in an olive oil/secret ingredient solution, then gently removing the encrustations that had
    loosened. PCGS and NGC will not spend that kind of time on any coin, so I certainly do not blame them for the rejection.

On the other hand, silver coins that have been etched by PVC contamination are usually goners. I made one Morgan dollar more
    visually acceptable by carrying it around in my pocket for a while, slowly circulating it down a grade and smoothing out the roughness,
    but many here would consider that a bit extreme (my wife certainly did, especially when she would fish it out of a pocket when doing
    the laundry). We compromised -- now I do the laundry whenever I have a "project."

It all depends on the amount of time you are willing to invest, and how close to becoming a coin doctor you are OK with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file