Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

building vs. buying sets

Is it ever economically feasible to build from scratch? The reason I ask is because I've been buying lots of 76-85 Topps in order to complete sets with my existing cards. If not for the existing cards and trading with my friend that's doing to same thing, it would be cheaper to buy complete sets for those years at least.

But once I'm done with this project, I'd like to work backwards starting from 1975 and I have few to no cards from prior to 1976. Is there a point where this works? Or is it just a matter of your wife will kill you if you buy an entire 1968 Topps set so you have to buy it a little at a time? I know you can do some things to offset it along the way like trade other things and sell extras, etc but does just straight up set building make sense?

Comments

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I've found the two most economical ways for me to complete sets are (1) to buy near-sets or lots of cards (e.g., lot of 200 or 500) in nice condition - this is the best bang for my buck - and (2) buy complete sets to build one really nice set and then sell the others. Well, I say "sell," but generally they end up sitting on my shelf instead. I think I am up to six 1978 Topps sets. Hah!

I think I could use the first approach going back to the last 60s and still make it work economically. Ideally I would fill in all the blanks at a large show like the National.

I believe you can do okay with Heritage base or even master set builds if you don't mind selling all the other inserts on eBay. That can be a lot of work, so I just usually purchase these sets complete from set builders.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I build sets one card at a time because I want the cards centered, and I try to minimize shipping by buying multiple auctions from a seller. Definitely more expensive but the sets look awesome in a binder when they have consistent centering.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Building sets card by card will always cost more to build than by buying starter sets. I build my sets from 1975-1995 card by card. It's more of a challange for me. When I wasn't making good $ like I do now. I bought cards by the pack. Or by the box of cards. And when I could afford it once in a great while a vending box. I did my sets mostly by trading on sites like this one.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've found the two most economical ways for me to complete sets are (1) to buy near-sets or lots of cards (e.g., lot of 200 or 500) in nice condition - this is the best bang for my buck - and (2) buy complete sets to build one really nice set and then sell the others. Well, I say "sell," but generally they end up sitting on my shelf instead. I think I am up to six 1978 Topps sets. Hah!

I think I could use the first approach going back to the last 60s and still make it work economically. Ideally I would fill in all the blanks at a large show like the National. >>

I agree with this ocmpletely. If you are starting from scratch, buying bulk lots or a complete (or near complete) set is the way to go. From there, you can upgrade. If you're starting with a small lot, it will be very costly to put a set together one by one.

Good luck with your quest! Set building is fun!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This question comes up from time to time.

I like building a set one card at a time - taking the time to find the nicest example that I can afford. If the set is large? I would do it in collector grade - raw - and at times buy lots that are reasonably priced.

Thus, I don't do a lot of sets.
    Mike
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I will say that building a set is much more fun than buying one. The ones that I have bought, I haven't even bothered to look at anything other than the key cards. With the ones I'm building I take the time to examine the cards and read the backs. I've also put the 86-89 sets together from unopened which costs more and is way more tedious but also fun.

I think I'll just end up piecing together sets from a large starter lot and continue to put junk wax era sets together from unopened. I just got back into the hobby a year ago and have had a scattered focus and have already made regrettable purchases. Putting together these sets has been by far the most fun I've had and I wish I had known that from the start.
  • Options
    As primarily a set builder myself, I agree with everyone else.

Yes, it is more economical to buy a completed set, if you can find one.

But often times those sets, or lots, may not meet your standards... so you probably will have to buy a number of sets/lots and hope you can build one set from them that does meet your standards.

The only time I buy completed sets are if they are extremely small, inexpensive insert sets (where the combined shipping would likely be more than what I paid for the cards themselves) that aren't condition sensitive. But even there, with COMC (generally) having extremely reasonable prices and combined shipping... I often end up using it to put together even these low end sets.

Snorto~
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Yeah but what price do you put one building a great looking set, piece by piece, how you like it and the sense of accomplishment? Def has a value there.

I agree to start with a block of cards, did it that way. But also put together a vintage set one by one in a binder and guess which one means so much more to me.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Buy is always cheaper. If you want to build then it will be more. I buy then upgrade. Best of bost worlds.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    I've always started with lots; cherrypicking the best. Then I buy a complete set or two (preferably after seeing the star cards) and continue the cherry picking. In the end, I'll have the set I wanted, and be able to resell 1-2 others.

It will definitely cost you more money doing it this way, but you'll get the set you want AND it's more fun.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I generally will buy 2 sets of one year and then take the best card to form my best set. Most of the time I can sell the second set for the same cost as the purchase price. Works out pretty nicely.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    I forget who said it here first, but I know I saw it here first, when you buy a set, you are buying someone else's set. When you build one, it is YOUR set. And that is the modus operandi I work under now. The only exceptions to that rule are sets that have a "can't beat" price. I have many incomplete sets that I want to complete card by card. That's the challenge for me. The years for which I have zero or very few cards - I will first look for a good quality starter set to build from.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    building sets = fun
    buying full sets = not so much