Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Factory sets collectibility/interest

Have they outlived their popularity? I never could grasp the collectibility of these other than they including cards that were not available in packs. Or giving as a Xmas gift. That's why I've enjoyed assembling the Heritage BB sets and others, only being able to aasemble from packs. More costly at times yes, but more fun and allows interacting with fellow collectors for trades. Also allows interaction with ones children assembling sets. Better than handing them a "brick" of a factory set. Seems like a more hobby oriented way to approach collecting and enjoying the hobby,at least from a collecting viewpoint. You get to appreciate the design and can look at your cards as they were meant to be enjoyed. I've always compared a factory set to owning a vintage Corvette and storing it in your garage and never looking at it.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to collecting it takes all kinds. A lot of folks enjoy collecting one (or more) of each of the "bricks".
    I once had a factory set for 1985 thru 1997 give or take a year or so Topps Baseball. I thought they were pretty cool lined up on the shelf.
    Displayed like this they are really not about the cards and it is somewhat like the Corvette in the garage-- only much cheaper.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    I don't think so, I still think they're sweet
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I think sets as Christmas gifts are the biggest selling point. I personally love them. Reminds me of getting sets at Christmas time (cheaper today than 25 years ago - not the best investment vehicle). I have 75 factory sets up on a wall in my house. I have also collected the factory sets with the Mantle inserts visible and all of the "Tiffany" sets.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    My wife bought me a few different sets for Christmas. She thought she was doing a good thing with them. I stll have them some where unopened. I have a great wife. She puts up with me.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I like the fact they have been untouched.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Topps had factory sets in the 60's/70's it possibly would of have hurt the values quite a bit. As there would be more nr mt/mt examples out there to choose from,if one busted the sets open. This, even if our Moms threw out the loose pack obtained cards,which in many cases this was so. Surely the grading industry would not be what it is today for those particular era cards.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".