Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think this Roosevelt dime would cross to MS 66?

This 1954-S is currently in an NGC MS 66 holder. Do you think it would cross to PCGS at MS 66?

My interest in this coin is the No JS variety (FS-501).

I'm gonna take it over to my local coin shop later today for their opinion.
"Man will never be perfect until he learns to create and destroy; he does know how to destroy, and that is half the battle.”
- Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

SOLVE ET COAGULA

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say this "I doubt it."
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip it first.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the No Initials variety but if this is for your own Reg Set, I would wait for a nicer example. I have Cherrypicked one myself. Good luck!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on the No Initials variety but if this is for your own Reg Set, I would wait for a nicer example. I have Cherrypicked one myself. Good luck! >>

Thanks. Yeah this was a cherrypick from eBaby...$18

And yeah, I doubt it will cross to MS 66 as well. But wanted the opinions of others. I am very conservative (maybe too much sometimes) when it comes to grading.
    "Man will never be perfect until he learns to create and destroy; he does know how to destroy, and that is half the battle.”

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats on the No Initials variety but if this is for your own Reg Set, I would wait for a nicer example. I have Cherrypicked one myself. Good luck! >>

Thanks. Yeah this was a cherrypick from eBaby...$18

And yeah, I doubt it will cross to MS 66 as well. But wanted the opinions of others. I am very conservative (maybe too much sometimes) when it comes to grading. >>

You can make money by selling it after you find another. I cherrypicked an NGC 66FT from a Teletrade group (Group of 2 NGC 66FT and only one was the variety) lot about two years ago and I sold it as is. Someone else crossed it.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it as well, but the dip might get the spots off. For only 18 bucks you might as well try.

Edited to add.....maybe acetone first. The toning is alright and better than bright white dip look.
  • Options
    A lot of the "stuff" might come off with MS70 but losing the graded holder and then selling raw would not be my choice, if I were selling it. If you did use MS70 then send it to PCGS etc...you would have a lot more money tied up in the coin, that's for sure! If it were mine and I planned to keep it...I would tie up a little extra money in it after I made it look a little nicer.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chance of crossing like that..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No chance of crossing like that..... Cheers, RickO >>

^^^^^^^^^^^^ agreed
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no it wouldnt.
  • Options
    So I broke this coin out. And tried acetone, but it didn't do anything to help its eye-appeal. So I dipped it for a few seconds, which made the coin look much nicer but...

It's actually not a Missing Initials variety.

You can juuuust barely see a blob that was the initials. The toning was hiding it.

If anyone has a legitimate example, I'd be interested in buying it. But I'm only looking for raw coins. If this coin didn't have a chance at crossing at MS 66, (which I really didn't think it did) I was gonna break it out anyway to add to my raw collection.

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a shot of the full coin post dip? Just out of curiosity. I imagine this one dipped out well.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have a shot of the full coin post dip? Just out of curiosity. I imagine this one dipped out well. >>

Yeah but it's just from an iPhone...

I've got it in a Premier holder in that photo.

EDITED TO ADD: That large spot on the neck didn't come off.

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    Tried to get a better shot...

imageimage

...yeah, I'm calling is a 62. I think the grader was drunk when he/she originally graded this one.

SOLVE ET COAGULA
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    This 1954-S is currently in an NGC MS 66 holder. Do you think it would cross to PCGS at MS 66?

As my Mother-in-law is fond of saying…"absolukely" that coin will cross, might even upgrade!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file