Home U.S. Coin Forum

What am I missing?

Vam?

I am no expert on Peace dollars. I see some doubling around the face but instead of doing some research I am going to be lazy and somebody tell me why this 1921 Peace sold for over 3 grand.

I have plans....sometimes

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I think someone is hoping for a super gem grade. The coin does have a superb strike for the date, though.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm suspicious of some funny business
    LCoopie = Les
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't really tell but it looks buffed.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think someone is hoping for a super gem grade. The coin does have a superb strike for the date, though. >>

Strike doubling from what I see.....Perhaps they are hoping for a Satin Proof with
    those reverse die polish lines?

This image
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coin. The strike is EXCEPTIONALLY good for a 1921 and the reverse lettering is remarkably bold. None of the regular 1921 MS66 or better coins on CoinFacts has a strike anywhere near as good as this. I don't see any doubling, but there might be some die polish lines above "WE" and at the "S O" of "STATES OF" on the reverse that would make it a VAM 1H, struck from satin proof dies. It's impossible to see this perfectly from the photos. It has the look of a polished coin and it certainly has some hairlines. The photography, however, isn't necessarily easy to interpret.

The Price Guide says there are 6-8 known matte-finish 1921 proof coins and maybe 10 satin proofs. The single example shown on CoinFacts doesn't look terribly different than this one. It's a long-shot, but not an impossibility that this could be a proof coin......

Most likely it's a polished, cleaned regular business-strike 1921 with an exceptionally good strike. It might be worth $3,400 to take a look at it in-hand and send it back if it isn't the real McCoy. If I had seen the auction, I might have pursued it. It's not that difficult to send a coin back.....
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember seeing this coin posted here a month or two ago.

Everyone was questioning whether or not it was a proof.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    That coin doesn't look real. The strike is amazing and the surfaces are flawless. I could see why someone may think it's a proof or a super gem.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet it comes back 98 Smoothing and tooling. If not good for him or her.

Hoard the keys.
  • I agree with the others, coin definitely looks messed with

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    Previous Thread

Wasn't this exact coin discussed in an earlier thread?
  • I don't know about you but I am missing about 40% of my hair image

At least a couple people think it is a proof, IMO they are unrealistic
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say this again. When the seller has all kinds of other coins recently graded by PCGS but one that could be worth a ton of money is raw..........run for the hills.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll say this again. When the seller has all kinds of other coins recently graded by PCGS but one that could be worth a ton of money is raw..........run for the hills. >>

+1 Always a red flag for me.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it is a problem coin, it's still a very interesting piece. 1921 Peace dollars just don't come struck like this, original surfaces or not. RWB literally wrote the book on this series and, as reported in the "other thread" by Rick Snow, he was the underbidder. He apparently was willing to go higher, but got distracted during the auction.

I still think the surfaces are hard to interpret from the photos. Peace dollar proofs had a different look about them and they don't exhibit luster in the usual sense. It would be interesting to know where this coin ended up.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm suspicious of some funny business >>

What he said.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the pictures are truly representative of the coin, it is indeed a fine Peace Dollar.... and if the speculation noted here proves to be accurate, it is a bargain. Cheers, RickO
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm suspicious of some funny business >>

ditto, it looks odd for some reason.
  • CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Ive met the gentleman who owned this coin prior to listing it on ebay - he advertises all over craigslist that he buys coins and pays top dollar etc etc he bought it in a collection of a bunch of other peace dollars for 30 dollars or so - he thinks its proof - i know he submits alot to pcgs and ngc - why not submit this one? Makes you wonder image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file