Home Metal Detecting

is there any good working metal detectors under $60?

is there any good working metal detectors under $60?

i live in Pennsylvania and own lots of land, the county i live in has lots of indian coins and artifacts pop up every now and then.

ill need to be searching for silver and gold only, looking primarily for coins and jewelry, maybe weapons if made of silver or gold. also the detector will have to reach a good length in the ground, maybe 3 feet is good enough.

im just looking to get into the hobby, i have a medical condition and im disabled, so the way i see it... i have a whole lifetime of time on my hands to search the world! (starting with the property i own of course) =P
-------------------------------------

im new to collecting still, but now im sitting on certain pieces that i only dreamed of before. quality over quanity for sure!

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome image

There is a low-level Bounty Hunter detector that a quick Google shopping search showed as being sold around $60. However, I'm not sure about the quality of that brand. If you can spend more, you may want to go with a better brand like Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, Fisher, etc. Even their entry-level detectors are good units.

Your best bet if possible would be to visit a local detector shop. They can walk you through entry-level detectors and might even have used ones for sale. Are there any dealers in your area? Not sure what part of PA you are in.

Gettysburg Electronics is one.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the MD forum..... I would seriously doubt, for the purposes you outlined, that you can get a GOOD MD for that price.... maybe from someone's estate sale....If you are serious and intend to spend time in the hobby, get a good MD that can suit your purposes. The suggestion to go to an MD store is good.... but do a considerable amount of online research first. Ask more questions here, research old threads... get familiar with the process and terms.... there are necessary accessories as well which add to the cost but are super important to the hobby. Cheers, RickO
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Life is too short, and time is too valuable, to use a cheap metal detector. Although you may find some good stuff, you'll also dig up an inordinate amount of junk and miss some great finds.
  • thanks both of u for the advice

gettysburg isnt far away from me, ill haveta wait for a nice warm day again and take a trip out that way.
    -------------------------------------

im new to collecting still, but now im sitting on certain pieces that i only dreamed of before. quality over quanity for sure!
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    As everyone else said, don't go too cheap with a detector. You will be disappointed. You may want to research the Garrett Ace 250 for starters. Prices go up from there
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually bought a garrett 1500 for half price on ebay. Have had it for about 8 yrs now and still works like new. Look for a deal on a better md than to settle for a cheap entry level one. As was mentioned, you'll be able to search for what you want and eliminate a bunch of trash digging.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually bought a garrett 1500 for half price on ebay. Have had it for about 8 yrs now and still works like new. Look for a deal on a better md than to settle for a cheap entry level one. As was mentioned, you'll be able to search for what you want and eliminate a bunch of trash digging. >>

yeah, what he said.