Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early Classic Commemoratives For The Weekend

BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am a fan of the series due to low mintage's, some great design's, and some real "history/stories" behind each coin in the series. Please post your early commemoratives here and explain what you like about the coin.

This is my newest:

image

The Vermont State Sesqui-Centennial Commission, John Spargo, president, initially selected Mr. Sherry Fry to design and model this coin. Mr. Fry’s designs were not very well received by The Commission of Fine Arts in Washington. Mr. Spargo and Commission Of Fine Arts chairman Charles Moore sent many letters back and forth about the designs and in frustration, Mr. Fry resigned his commission. After brief discussions with artist T. Spicer-Simson, the job was given to Charles Keck.

This piece is struck in the highest relief of any commemorative issue, and the lettering is particularly large and bold.

The reduction of the models was done by the Medallic Art Company of New York.


image
Sherry Fry rejected models.

Comments

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cougars have become more prevalent here in the Catskills (although the DOE will not admit it).... would like to get one of those coins..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Been awhile since I've put a piece up here. My family was in the Bay State shortly after this fellow so this coin is apropos. One of my few remaining commems.
    ]image[/URL]ransferredfiles1652.jpg
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my four, hope to add the Spanish Trail and Hudson.

    image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,354 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Been awhile since I've put a piece up here. My family was in the Bay State shortly after this fellow so this coin is apropos. One of my few remaining commems.
    ]image[/URL]ransferredfiles1652.jpg >>

    nice commem. kid, im glad ya hung onto that one
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoyed the reverse of the Monroe (the obverse is a snore IMO).

    image
    image
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great coins posted here. I like the design on this one but, I admit, I bought it mostly because it was purdy.

    image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BG, great looking Vermont...nice pickup!


    Couple of my current favs...for the color of course.
    imageimage
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

    Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

  • Options
    CircOnlyCircOnly Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭✭
    Because it's not another mundane MS coin.

    image
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I really need to get caught up on my coin pictures image

    image
    image
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to run this through the weekend. image

    I know there are many more commems out there than this.


    Some very nice examples so far.

    image


    image

    image


    Approved by Congress on March 17, 1924 and issued in commemoration of the commencement on June 18, 1923, of the work of carving on Stone Mountain, in the State of Georgia, a monument to the valor of the soldiers of the South, which was the inspiration of their sons and daughters and grandsons and granddaughters in the Spanish-American and World Wars, and in memory of Warren G. Harding, President of the United States of America, in whose administration the work was begun.

    Coinage executed in January and February at the Philadelphia Mint in 1925 was 2,314,709 pieces. Total coins reserved for annual assay by the Philadelphia Mint is shown as 4,709 pieces with 500,000 melted. Designed and modeled by John Gutzon de la Mothe Borglum.

    Coin designed and modeled by John Gutzon de la Mothe Borglum and distributed at $1 each by the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association, Hollins N. Randolph, president with 2,314,709 coined, 1,000,000 coins returned to the United States Mint for melting.

  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

    Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>image >>


    Very, very nice JJ.


    image



    image

    Bad image, coin really dazzles in hand.

  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭
    This is the first commem I ever bought. Being a Texan it only seemed appropriate. After this purchase I decided to do the 13 coin Texas set. Now I am working on the 50 coin commem set and trying to complete the set in rattlers.

    image


    Mike
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
    image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shylock:

    When I saw your name as the last post in the thread I got a smile on my face because I knew I was soon going to see a stunning coin. And, of course, you did not disappoint. What a beautiful coin!!
    Mark


  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Now I am working on the 50 coin commem set and trying to complete the set in rattlers.
    Mike >>




    Nice Texas and wish you much luck on the above. I'm also doing old holders.


    image


    image

  • Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image

    Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

    Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently obtained this Connecticut, which came with its original box of issue. Coins kept in these boxes for a long time, I think, acquired interesting patina that highlights the delicate tree details on the obverse, and outlines the contrasting art deco eagle on the reverse.
    the golden tone mutes the obverse luster a bit. Like 78saen's coin, this one graded MS 64.
    image
    image
  • Options
    ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread! Welcome to the board ronctx...
    My addition...

    ABimage

    This pic was in the original holder thus the different cert #...
    image

    image

    image
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    image

    image
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    My raw Lincoln bought from eBay a few years ago:

    image
    GMan
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    And my '26 Sesqui:

    image
    GMan
  • Options
    bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭
    image[/URL]
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year.


    Some super nice coins throughout this thread.


    image


    Love the counterstamped Stone Mountain.


    image

  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year!

    image

    Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

    Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Cool thread! Welcome to the board ronctx...
    My addition...

    ABimage

    This pic was in the original holder thus the different cert #...
    image >>





    Daaaaayum.
    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file