Home Precious Metals
Options

Does the average American, European or Japanese citizen believe......

....that there needs to be more inflation?

Didn't see many folks griping when I filled up the gas tank the other day.

No one at Trader Joe's was inquiring as to how soon prices might go up.

Last minute holiday shoppers were not demanding a higher retail on the Xbox or the crappy Chinese wrapping paper that K-Mart was selling.

The scam is getting old.

Need a few Trillion more Yen I suppose.

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The old argument for paying off the debt with "cheaper money" doesn't work because they never pay off the debt. Low interest for as long as possible is better for debters with debt they keep endlessly.

When they say they want inflation they really mean that they want a sign that the economy is booming. There must be a disconnect in their calculations because high oil isn't a sign of that for a country like Japan that imports oil. They should probably be relying more on increased wages for their workers than inflation on a mixed bag including imports.
    Ed
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understood the fixation with the "average" person.. there's no such thing, you know.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never understood the fixation with the "average" person.. there's no such thing, you know. >>

The average person would agree with that sentiment. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an implied belief that inflation also means GDP growth, wage growth, refreshing consumption (a hilarious sick joke). Vice versa for deflation.

So inflation must have been low over the last 6 years, right? No or low growth? Low inflation! And who better to solve the problem??? Elaine and Susie... Susie and Elaine!

Heaven forbid they cause high inflation in a low growth environment. The people may revolt. Or not. Sad. And we still have too big to jail. We are more fragile than in 2008. I don't think we can handle another meltdown like the last.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This economic house of cards is amazing....not sure how long the manipulators (banks/fed etc.) can keep it from imploding... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reality to most Americans is that when prices are generally rising at a moderate pace, most people seem to do better...or at least their lives seem to be less stressful (ie 1955-1965, 1983-2000, 2004-2008, etc.). Not sure that same effect is approved of overseas as it often leads to seriously high rates of inflation. I think most Americans would state that a rising rate of "controlled" inflation (whatever that is) is a good thing. The FED and Co. have taught them that over the past 60 years. It's also true that after any serious decline in commodity prices (especially oil and gas) over an extended period (such as 2009-2014) is often followed up by a sharp recession. We seem to be following the same general path as the late 1990's. But what equivalent year are we in right now? 1998? 1999? 2000? Oil and gas prices were hammered during that period. So as much as J6P loves low gas prices, what follows next is not going to be loved quite so much.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this particular instance I think that lower oil prices are likely to help avoid a recession rather than to be an indicator of one. The oil price decline is due more to advances in technology (fracking) than to less demand.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never understood the fixation with the "average" person.. there's no such thing, you know. >>

Ok. Let's replace it with mean income working stiff.