Home Metal Detecting
Options

Anyone have experience with coin grading?

Hi all,

I found a draped bust large cent this past weekend. I can't get a date off of it and I didn't want to clean it for fear of damage. All I've done is wipe it with a soft cloth. I was afraid water would turn it horrible green. A local coin shop couldn't date it and recommended I send it to be encapsulated and hope the experts there could be able to date it. I guess I'm just looking for someone who's graded coins to give me an idea if this is feasible or not.

Thanks!!

Rodney

Comments

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect large cents, but I just did a quick eBay search of sold listings of PCGS-graded draped bust large cents. The lower-grade, "details" (i.e., damaged but considered genuine) PCGS coins ranged from $46 to just over $100, and a bit more than that if it's some special variety. I believe PCGS is up to $60 to grade a coin these days and you have to be a member, or have a member submit it on your behalf. NGC has a conservation service, linked here.. Not sure what they charge, but I would guess it's more than the regular PCGS rate. To me, it would basically be a break-even transaction, at best.

Have you tried high magnification, such as a 17X loupe? Also, I have used warm hydrogen peroxide (put in microwave-safe bowl and heat for for 30 seconds) to fizz off some gunk before. But I am not sure if there would be any ill effects on that type of coin. Others may chime in with suggestions.

Neat find in any event.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I used a 10x loupe, but could not do any better than the scan. I see what looks like the partial piece (left half) of an 8 on the lower left of the coin. With all the variations and such, I hate to turn this coin to toast. It could be something good, or it could be really common. That's my problem....I don't know.

Thanks for your research and help!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice DBLC! I see no point in getting it slabbed. The expense will most likely offset any benefit. Try posting it on the traditional U.S. Coin forum for any input. It's frustrating when you can't get a date, but I've come to accept it on some coins. Unless there's something that can guarantee a date, PCGS won't even slab it. That's the reality of finding old coppers...Congrats on a nice DBLC!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Don't slab it, it's not worth the cost of grading.

What you might do is get a good pic of both sides, hopefully the rev has more detail than obv.
    Then post it on the coin forum, maybe some large cent expert can tell you a date or date range from what's left of it.

Might help bring out some detail if you soak it in mineral oil, rinse and repeat.
    Ed
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't slab it, it's not worth the cost of grading.

What you might do is get a good pic of both sides, hopefully the rev has more detail than obv.
    Then post it on the coin forum, maybe some large cent expert can tell you a date or date range from what's left of it.

Might help bring out some detail if you soak it in mineral oil, rinse and repeat. >>

Those are good suggestions. In my brief lookup of these coins, it's the kind of coin series where you will see a listing like "1800/Rev of 1795". So the reverse may be more helpful than normal.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely will not grade.... a mineral oil/olive oil soak may help, but it would need to soak for months. Looking at that coin, I do not believe you will get a date even then.... nice piece to just save... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "wiping with a soft cloth" is cleaning the coin and a no no. Much better soaking and then a thorough pat dry or blow dry.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the helpful info. I'll get it into a soak and see what happens.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would make a nice pocket piece.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is precisely how my first (and so far only) Draped Bust cent looked when it came outta the ground, except mine had a little less profile showing but more of the hair bow, and LIBERTY was mostly readable on it.

Then I tried electrolysis on it. That was a mistake. Burnt it up. Now it's a featureless slug. image

And in the intervening years, I've seen several friends dig up absolutely gorgeous ones with EF-AU details and very little corrosion.

But mine was found next to a salt marsh in an area that might have been submerged during a few really high spring tides, so it probably got messed up that way.

Regardless, they're cool finds, and since you can ID the type, you know you've got a ca. 1796-1807 cent, there.

Which tells me your site has some interesting potential. Go find a piece of DB silver, now! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    does the reverse have any better detail ? with that you may be able to coax an answer from the draped bust guys on the coin forum, I would trust their expertise over that of a TPG any day
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Here's the back:

• Options
    And here's a scan of the front, instead of a camera picture:

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! :-)
    Timbuk3