Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I am such a nerd...

I mentioned previously about possibly consigning a few odds and ends to Heritage...I got some very nice advice and did so.

Since then I have positively been stalking the website just to see how many watchers/bidders (and bids) might be present. However, my nerdly joy was elevated to a supreme level today when the catalogs unexpectedly arrived in the mail (I guess consigning rates you paper catalogs) and actually thought about framing one of them because one of MY coins made the cover. Okay, it was only the back cover, and it's not the Platinum night, but still...

image, now if it only sells for the estimate I am going to be in coin buying funds for awhile. I guess Heritage knows a chunk of it will be coming back their way eventually.

So does anyone else obsessively stalk an auction when you are selling things? My rare ebay forays used to rate only a once-a-day check for bids. Thrice (or more) daily visits to Heritage for only 6 coins seems a bit ridiculous!

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    link?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't (easily) find a picture of the back side of the catalog, so here are some fuzzy/quickly done phone pictures:

I bought that coin about 10 years ago...back when many of the forum dudes were fond of talking about their BBLs (bare breasted ladies), and I bought a few NGWH (naked guys with horses). I confess the Albanians have stuck with me and I now have been working on the Zog coins for awhile. However, this is the only prova and in the interests of consistency I decided to sell it and perhaps buy a non-prova version. I did some online searching and realized there had been a great deal of appreciation over the years, and IIRC the prova was not going for much of a premium back then. If this goes for what Heritage estimates, well that is far more than I would have ever guessed and it will be a nice way to fund other things that match my more 'serious' interests.

• Options
    That is so cool! I'd want to frame it too.

• Options

<< <i>That is so cool! I'd want to frame it too. >>

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I think we all have a special appreciation for the coins we've owned. That's why we originally bought them right? image

So it makes sense to enjoy seeing them showcased.

Neat coin! Congrats on making the cover!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is impressive, validates your fine taste in coins.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is too image Cathy.

And in coin buying funds for awhile sure

has a splendid ring to it. image
  • Options
    fred13fred13 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I mentioned previously about possibly consigning a few odds and ends to Heritage...I got some very nice advice and did so.

Since then I have positively been stalking the website just to see how many watchers/bidders (and bids) might be present. However, my nerdly joy was elevated to a supreme level today when the catalogs unexpectedly arrived in the mail (I guess consigning rates you paper catalogs) and actually thought about framing one of them because one of MY coins made the cover. Okay, it was only the back cover, and it's not the Platinum night, but still...

image, now if it only sells for the estimate I am going to be in coin buying funds for awhile. I guess Heritage knows a chunk of it will be coming back their way eventually.

So does anyone else obsessively stalk an auction when you are selling things? My rare ebay forays used to rate only a once-a-day check for bids. Thrice (or more) daily visits to Heritage for only 6 coins seems a bit ridiculous! >>

I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this thread! If you don't mind me asking do you collect Albanian or world gold generally? The reason I ask is my main collection actually consists of Albanian coins and as you might imagine I would be beyond thrilled to find another collector who specializes and shows interest in the same field.

Best,

Fred[/Q
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello fred13 and image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Fred, and welcome to the boards here image. I answered your PM but parts will be redundant--I'd forgotten what I'd written here. Basically I am an Albanian Coin Collector Dilettante. I've got a few, will buy more, and need to learn a lot. I'm focused on the Zog years, but admit to owning the sword dancing proof...

This was a coin bought for its inherent awesomeness but with more time on my hands I'm pruning things down (or expanding them as the case may be) to more sensible collections rather than just accumulations. The Prova was a swan swimming with my ducks... Not a circulation issue, definitely not bullion, and the whole NGWH thing has faded away. It was just too nice and too different to keep while I still have other coins to buy.

Cathy

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am confirming you are indeed a NERD, and I expect you to handle the position honorably!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe I've located it and I have to admit that for such a large coin it is very impressive and perhaps a bit undergraded. Best of luck Cathy, it deserves to exceed the high estimate. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    That being said, make no mistake that the daily visits will only offer you the satisfaction of looking at a coin that you have already given away. There will be two critical moments, one right before the Internet bidding ends, and then the live section which I strongly recommend watching it, especially since whichever session it's in will be starting with Albania (alphabetical order) . It's really fun to watch a live session with sound, provided that you can control yourself and not bid on any lot that comes by.... image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3