Home Precious Metals
Options

Sunday 12/14 Coin Show Report

At a fairly large once a month show just outside of Chicago these prices were being asked. Cash only, a couple dealers had "no checks accepted" signs up. There must be a rash of bad checks lately. Once again, if you're purchasing in volume that doesn't matter. Same price whether buying 1 or 100.

Cull Peace Dollars: $18
VG-XF Peace Dollars: $20-22
AU-UNC Peace Dollars: $25...not too bad I guess but the coins were really more AU than UNC.
1921 AU-UNC Morgans: $25
pre-1921 AU-UNC Morgans: $33
pre-1921 VG-XF Morgans: $25-27
90% Halves (no slicks): $14.25 x face...would not budge off price.
90% Quarters & Dimes (no slicks): $13.80 x face.

100 oz OPM silver bar: $1800
1 oz generic bars/rounds: $18.00
1 oz Engelhard silver bars: $21.00 would not take $20 image
Basically any 2000-2014 ASE: $21.00... would not take $20/ coin or $400 a roll.
10 oz poured (old style) Silvertowne bar: $200...would not budge off price.
10 oz extruded Engelhard: $215...would not budge off price.
1/10 oz common AGE: $135
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for a great PM oriented show report. As everyone here already knows, most of those prices can be easily beat by buying from internet bullion dealers. I'm guessing those prices are for customers who need immediate satisfaction or who are unaware that there are other avenues for purchasing bullion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming those prices were from various dealers, there seems to be a remarkable reluctance to bargain..interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Assuming those prices were from various dealers, there seems to be a remarkable reluctance to bargain..interesting. Cheers, RickO >>

I'm guessing 1 of 3 things (or a combination of all):
    1) They are in it too deep to discount it.
    2) They aren't really interested in selling it at low prices knowing silver price is creeping up.
    3) They have a fat wad of cash in their pocket and don't need to sell it and can wait until the right sucker (err, precious metals Investor who don't like cheap metal) comes along.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, pom.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    ??? Those prices seem very reasonable and in fact cheaper than Apmex for sure on engelhard, so less than a buck under for generic? In hand what's wrong with that? It wasn't a wholesale show was it?
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't even sell ASEs here for $400 a roll.
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Yea thanks for the info. Good to know what's currently being charged. Just used your info to compare to my most recent purchase.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yea thanks for the info. Good to know what's currently being charged. Just used your info to compare to my most recent purchase. >>

Whats being charged is not as important as whats being paid.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yea thanks for the info. Good to know what's currently being charged. Just used your info to compare to my most recent purchase. >>

Whats being charged is not as important as whats being paid. >>

Both are of value.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say those prices are fair for a show setting. Would be able to do better at a B&M. Just have so many added expenses going to shows. Here I think the table fee is $85 per or 160 for 2.

Im spoiled now that I get to buy my bullion from here at work getting wholesale prices. Tempted to buy and resell but then I would be violating the "do no compete" I made them write up.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say those prices are fair for a show setting. Would be able to do better at a B&M. Just have so many added expenses going to shows. Here I think the table fee is $85 per or 160 for 2.

Im spoiled now that I get to buy my bullion from here at work getting wholesale prices. Tempted to buy and resell but then I would be violating the "do no compete" I made them write up. >>

I spect that buying a monster box a week might get the boss's attention.image
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to OP for sharing this info.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a wholesale show was it?

That's a question that kind of has a convoluted answer. I guess the closest I can say is they know I'm technically not a card carrying dealer, but I almost always get better prices/offers than the avg. Joe who walks up.
    The prices where I did not have a commentary are items that I did not even inquire about because I know the margin is too thin to bother even asking.
    The prices where I did make a comment are the items I actually asked about, and as you can probably surmise I couldn't get accepted what I offered.

guitarwes was spot on in his "3 things" post. At least 1 applied to every dealer I tried to buy from.

You're welcome for the report too guys. I wish there was more reports so we all could get an idea of what items are going for in different parts of the Country at shows...but as PerryHall said, the internet is your friend. But it's still nice to know what things are going for cash-then-n-there at shows.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    great info ,much appreciated.....at the local pawn shop up here at the edge of america(calais maine) the owner has a beautiful 100 oz. engelhard listed at $2700
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>great info ,much appreciated.....at the local pawn shop up here at the edge of america(calais maine) the owner has a beautiful 100 oz. engelhard listed at $2700 >>

a pawn shop? or a car lot?...
    keceph `anah